Generally positive feelings
48 43%
I don't have an opinion/my country doesn't really have a military
26 23%
Generally negative feelings
38 34%
Voters: 112.
Page 1 of 4
no ignorant is saying any war is pointless, how about this, someone breaks into your house starts raping your wife and children and killing your animals, cops dont come cause its a pointless exercise, it would be unwinnable because your wife n kids are already raped and your animals dead. Fuck you you piece of shit wanna be american, don't even deserve to breathe american air. Wait I am sorry forgot that i went to iraq and joined the army so you could have your right to free speech. My apologies civilian bitch. When i want your opinion ill take my **** out of your mouth and tell you, till then shut the fuck up

fitin 4 my fredoms

I have a generally negative opinion of soldiers. Do you?
Check out my band Disturbed
That guy is stupid

Curious about the results of this poll tho
My God, it's full of stars!
only the ones that fit to the gung-ho, he-man stereotype, I know a few soldiers that are way more down to earth and we get on really well, despite me being a tall weedy freak.

EDIT: ^ that's one of the more down to earth ones I've come across.
Last edited by Pastafarian96 at Mar 26, 2015,
Here's another classy response I got:

That's where your ****in wrong as marines we don't give a **** about what the war is about our job is to kill the enemy
He went all the way to Iraq to join the army? Was there not a more local recruitment centre he could have gone to?
I have nothing important to say
Quote by Pastafarian96
only the ones that fit to the gung-ho, he-man stereotype, I know a few soldiers that are way more down to earth and we get on really well, despite me being a tall weedy freak.

EDIT: ^ that's one of the more down to earth ones I've come across.

There are definitely great people in the military, absolutely. I'm not saying I hate all soldiers or that I automatically assume all soldiers are meathead morons, but I live in an extremely militarized city and most of my encounters with soldiers have been negative, both in personal (work) and general (driving/shopping) situations.
I have a few friends in the military. None of them are jackoffs like what OP has portrayed.

It's like this: There are shitty people in the world. People are soldiers. Therefore, there are shitty soldiers in the world.

Lumping them all into the same shitty category is insulting to the good ones.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Honestly yeah, but it depends.

if we're stereotyping there's three main categories:

1. There's the type who get an office job on an airbase or something or the type to go to basic training, **** around a bit, get honourably discharged, and then pull the 'I served my country!' card whenever they feel like acting like entitled pricks. So many negative stereotypes that can be associated with this (overly masculine tough guy persona, driving oversized trucks, a bunch of other things associated with the bad kind of nationalism, etc.)

2. The type who have actually seen combat, and have really ****ed up beliefs. While I hate a lot about their persona, I am at least sympathetic to why they have it.

3. The third type that is pretty cool (includes people all over the military regardless of experience). In my experience the most anti-nationalist, anti-war people are actually military veterans (this seems like such an obvious statement but there's so many 'meathead' types out there that it makes this seem rare) who aren't into all the bs. Not that they have to share my beliefs to be 'cool' or w/e.

seriously I am very much a 'hate the attitude not the person' person so even in the first category I understand that there are certain forces that contribute to their decisions. There's an element of choice but for the most part free will does not exist, which is why I'm always hesitant to label people like that.
I have positive feelings for our military, but I don't like the culture of military that exists in rural areas here. Don't get me wrong, it takes brass balls to be shipped or even potentially shipped overseas and be the subject of hostility, and I could never do it, but I think the height of the pedestal on which people put the armed forces (specifically the "need" for them), is perhaps overly inflated.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by SGstriker
I have a few friends in the military. None of them are jackoffs like what OP has portrayed.

It's like this: There are shitty people in the world. People are soldiers. Therefore, there are shitty soldiers in the world.

Lumping them all into the same shitty category is insulting to the good ones.

This is such a ridiculous oversimplification.
Quote by StewieSwan

How so, precious?
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by StewieSwan

What? Were you expecting an essay?
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Quote by StewieSwan
There are definitely great people in the military, absolutely. I'm not saying I hate all soldiers or that I automatically assume all soldiers are meathead morons, but I live in an extremely militarized city and most of my encounters with soldiers have been negative, both in personal (work) and general (driving/shopping) situations.

Colorado Springs?
Quote by StewieSwan

that's exactly what I mean.

actually, many of them have a pack mentality, they become arseholeish when around the arsehole soldiers.
I know one spineless, racist douche who is a soldier.

However, I'm not going to judge all of them based on that.
Someone please explain to me the logic behind the "I went to war X so you could have free speech, liberty, etc" statement.

Maaaaaybe I'll agree for WWI and WII, but any of the other wars in recent history? Ionno. Sounds like a load of hot air to me
I voted no opinion but thinking about the military/ex-military/ROTC people I've met, I should've voted generally positive. They've been real chill and humble people.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by E7#9
Someone please explain to me the logic behind the "I went to war X so you could have free speech, liberty, etc" statement.

Maaaaaybe I'll agree for WWI and WII, but any of the other wars in recent history? Ionno. Sounds like a load of hot air to me

Them gays, Muslims and communists all want to eat our freedom and shit it out onto white Jesus.
Making snap judgements about a group of people based on the idiocy of one is sound logic.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
They're people who have a job. I have no illusion of them protecting me and my rights but the same can be said for a lot of jobs. I hate the fact that we are in the NATO and that we are in any way involved in a foreign war in the middle east and I support the almost complete disbandment of our military but I can't hold any of this against people whe just want to make a living.

I would have bonus respect for them if a certain motion was passed that was proposing to disband all but a small part of the military which would serve as an emergency response force during natural disasters.

So neutral/tiny military.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by necrosis1193
Making snap judgements about a group of people based on the idiocy of one is sound logic.

Literally nobody has done that in here
Quote by E7#9

not even just military people.

I've heard this a lot: "if you hate america so much you should stfu because there are people out their fighting for ur freedom of speech right now." such a dumb statement 'cause they're talking about how great freedom of speech yet they expect you to self-censor yourself to only say things that are in line with their weird nationalist views lol. and of course when that is said usually nobody even said anything that would imply they 'hate america'.

also no way was WWI about fighting for liberty on either side.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Mar 26, 2015,
What the **** did you just ****ing say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class [...]

etc.
Free Ali
Neutral probs, although I tend to associate soldiers with the type described in the OP so I need to remind myself that there's hopefully lots of Dreads too

wait, one of my bro's friends is a p high up military dude and he's a great laugh. More than one Dread confirmed
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Last edited by steve_muse at Mar 26, 2015,
I don't have a negative opinion on soldiers just the stupid patriotic sayings that these guys are over there fighting for our freedom.

No they're not. They're fighting for someone else's freedom. My freedom is right here in the US where I live. Not in Iraq, Afghanistan, or anywhere else in the world.
Quote by steve_muse
Neutral probs, although I tend to associate soldiers with the type described in the OP so I need to remind myself that there's hopefully lots of Dreads too

wait, one of my bro's friends is a p high up military dude and he's a great laugh. More than one Dread confirmed

Bullshit
Quote by Dreadnought
Literally nobody has done that in here

I like to think our biases are much deeper and previously thought out.
i think of them the same way i think about everyone else i know nothing about: a person i don't know who is probably a dumb asshole.

problem with asshole soldiers is the assholes are the loud ones who attract attention to themselves and their assholeishness. make the decent ones look bad.

i've had pretty equal encounters with both extremes. cool guys that are easy to hang out with and are essentially dorks like me, but in shape and could squish my head with their hands and shoot people or whatever it is that soldiers do.

then there's the dumb assholes.

i will say i never understood what the **** the ROTC program at Rutgers NB was doing at any given time. i mean, i know they're doing training/drills and i can take a guess what they're for, but seeing them running around the college area in circles, some of them carrying those big metal gas canisters full of water, while their higher ups stand around and yell at them or when they were walking around the area with this little dog i thought must be for some kind of bomb sniffing training even though i've never seen one of those smaller breeds used for that, it just seems a little bit comical/confusing to me.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by Rossenrot
Bunch of lazy government employees if you ask me

We're not talking about National Guard/Reserve right now

One time I went to the gym when it opened at 6:30am and there was a huge crowd of ROTC kids and they let me cut in line, chill & humble see what I'm saying.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
As a former lazy government employee, I take offense.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
i've actually met more dickhead National Guard/Reserve guys.

kid's dad when i was in elementary school liked to use a bogus handicapped placard for parking. he had some knee injury from working as a volunteer fireman, but he liked to put on this fake limp and claim he had shrapnel in his knee from Korea (and i don't think he was even old enough to have served then). guy was a piece of shit. he and his son had matching rat tails in the 90's, too.

then there was the cokehead who wouldn't shit the **** up and i got stuck clocking out of work a half hour late. had to give him a fake number. used "you get to kill people" as a legitimate reason for me to join active duty.

maybe not more, but those two (especially that kid's dad) really stand out.

i also got mugged by some musclehead piece of shit in an army t shirt, but i can't confirm he was actually in the army.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Last edited by jakesmellspoo at Mar 26, 2015,
I have a dislike of militaries in general along with what seems to generally come along with being in one. I don't like nationalism, at least the kind I'm usually exposed to, I don't like when that gets to a point of random people killing random people for basically nothing, I wish people put more thought/perspective into what being a soldier is, both soldiers and civilians, I wish people all over weren't so ready to give their entire lives up to take others for what is generally kind of silly. Whether that's patriotism/their country, money, a cause of some sort, a sense of purpose or glory, whatever. If people were as repulsed by that idea in that first place as it seems like they should be to me wars would seemingly be few and far between. There'd be no need. There's a lot more I have problems with too of course

But there is a need, and as it stands there are plenty of reasons to join the military. Hell I just got sent one of those "Join the National Guard!" e-mails a few days ago and was legit tempted. For us as a country it's sort of a win-win. As an individual, it can be a very obvious choice for lots of reasons. And it is brave, and even though I think this is beyond idiotic as a concept, they really are doing it so others don't have to. There's a lot to find questionable about pretty much everything about it but on an individual level there's a lot to both find understandable and respect.

^my teacher last year was a dickhead national guard guy lol
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Last edited by Bob_Sacamano at Mar 26, 2015,
It's like any other large collection of a population. There will always be pockets of chill people, pockets of ****heads and a main cohort of completely forgettable people.

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
i put the middle option because although i generally have negative feelings about military peeps, i really don't believe the image is representative. in fact, i think i've been conflating my experience with soldiers and a certain flavor of southern, lower class white people. (if you were to specify some other race than white, my stereotypes would fall apart)

yeah they often have shitty views about warfare and act entitled to respect (as far as their opinions go) but honestly what % of them are actually like that?
i don't know why i feel so dry
they work for the man

bastards
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Page 1 of 4