Youtube, lots of advice and exercises. Some of them are even decent enough to get the basics. For me the best route is to join a vocal group. Style doesn't matter but you need to sing regularly with others and hopefully a good director. Community colleges often have good vocal music programs.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Youtube, lots of advice and exercises. Some of them are even decent enough to get the basics. For me the best route is to join a vocal group. Style doesn't matter but you need to sing regularly with others and hopefully a good director. Community colleges often have good vocal music programs.

Is learning from youtube really that effective?
Quote by hurricane0202

You are asking this when you say that you can't afford lessons? Really?

No, they are not effective for most folks that I have talked to and they were not effective for me, but you are between a rock and a hard place. I'd say join a choir (church, school, whatever) and/or record yourself. That did alot for me, but you still won't know how to fix what you are doing wrong without a coach.

A coach is invaluable, especially when you are starting out. The voice is a unique and difficult instrument to develop and it's real easy to get into awful habits. Only a coach (or an educated friend) can help with that.
Quote by hurricane0202

I don't know anyone who has but if you have no $$ and no access to a vocal group it is certain to be better than a poke in the eye. Try it and let us know how it goes.

Best bang for the buck > community college vocal group.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
As above.
Get a good vocal warmup routine off youtube and practice it daily. It will be a start.

If you can't find a good vocal coach then something like Singing Success would be good, but it costs so isn't really an option unless you can pick it up cheap second hand or something.
Si