After getting some people to hear my music, I've finally felt comfortable thinking of playing my songs live. My problem right now is that my songs have some fairly complex layering (solo on top of a solo thing) at certain points, and it relies on the instruments playing together or else, it feels "bland."

I have a Zoom G3X as a looper, but it's still hard to have the same sound as my recording...I'm only one guy, and I don't know if there are some people who'd be willing to perform my songs (I actually don't know how to get those people and I'm poor so I can't "hire" people lol). What would you suggest I do? Is it impossible to perform by myself live? ((

Here's one song I recorded just to let you get the general idea (listen to the end solo, that was basically my bread and butter, starts at 2:40) :
https://soundcloud.com/broken-pages/your-love

I feel frustrated with my limitations
Considering the chord progression is the same all the way through, you can probably loop something that is playing the chord progression, so that it frees you up to play other stuff while the chord progression is playing.
I was thinking you could have the little 'harp' chords that goes on during the first verse looping for most of the song?
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
I don't see why you couldn't just loop your chords and pay the solo over it.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
What's a harp chord? But this is just one example though, there are songs that I completely switch chords....verse might be B A D G but the chorus would be G D C E so I can't loop that part, and with the G3X, you can't separate loops.
When you're in your mid-20's, you're going to look back and see that you wrote a 4-chord song named "your love" and cringe so hard.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
You might have gotten better replies in GG&A or MT.

1. Get a better looper (one that has pinpoint start/recording times)
2. Record all of your instrumentation on individual tracks on a computer (Audacity is fine, make a click track).
3. Connect the computer to some sort of powered speaker (you might want an audio interface as well).
4. Mute the tracks that you want to perform yourself.
5. Play the recorded track, loop over what you want to loop, solo over what you want to solo over.

Essentially, you sample the instrumentation that might not work well within a looper, and you keep a certain style of instrumentation (whatever is most prevalent) in your actual performance. This also keeps your looper from being overloaded, and overloading your speaker as well.
Last edited by Will Lane at Mar 28, 2015,
Actually Will Lane, I have not thought of that...I think that solves my problem actually...okay I'll try that. Thank you. Now If only I can get myself to sync play with the track while performing live. But I can probably solve that if I add a percussion section.

Just Rooster, yeah I had that same exact reaction. I didn't know what to title it so I was like, "agh, to hell with it and went with it." I'm pretty sure I'll reminisce and get a laugh.

Thanks guys
The song doesn't need to sound exactly the same when played live. I don't know why it wouldn't work with just vocals + acoustic playing chords. None of the overdubs were really that crucial to the way the song sounds like.

If you want to play a solo, you could always play a chord melody or something like that. Play rhythm and lead at the same time. That of course means that you may need to change the solo a bit. You need to make compromises. Maybe don't play a solo.

But yeah, a looper would work. Just use it behind the solo. As I said, I didn't think the other parts are that important to the sound. The song would work with one acoustic guitar + vocals only.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115