Hi everyone.
I'm not sure if I'm in the right section, but I'll go for it anyway. I was wondering if anybody could share a few microtonal scales in the form of tabs. I bend strings on my regular guitar to get those quarter tones, and it works, but I can't to seem to find many microtonal scales on Internet. I know some sites for the ones that sound Arabic, but I was wondering if there were any others. Not sure if Gamelan music others some, but I couldn't find anything.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Nah, just some scales in the form of tabs on this forum (any person who replies can draw them in the form of tabs here), indicating the bends to get the smaller tones. Thanks, but I already know about the Arabic maqam, was wondering if there were any others, but thanks anyway.
Last edited by jzRTCAQ!PY13575 at Mar 28, 2015,
i looked into this when i was writting a arabic influenced song (Curse Of The Mummies tomb found in link in profile). playing actual micro tonal scales on a guitar is brutally hard as they just don't seem to lend themselves to it. i would guess that perhaps a fretless one might work. i ended up using the Hungarian minor scale for the song to sort of imitate the sound and feel of a snake charmers flute. (sorry at work don't have teh scale handy).
@monwobbobo it is pretty hard, what's more is that I can't push on the tremolo to raise the pitch, because of the amount of springs I've put in and the gauge, so prebending a bit irritating. I'll check your song out, it's hard to find microtonal songs on internet right now, only listened to some Arabic maqam improvs and Gamelan. Fretless ones do work I think, bcs I've heard a few extracts and when the player isn't fretting the western parts of the fretboard, it sounds like there are quarter tones in there. Though the sound whem sliding up a fretless is pretty amazing.
Quote by jzRTCAQ!PY13575
@monwobbobo it is pretty hard, what's more is that I can't push on the tremolo to raise the pitch, because of the amount of springs I've put in and the gauge, so prebending a bit irritating. I'll check your song out, it's hard to find microtonal songs on internet right now, only listened to some Arabic maqam improvs and Gamelan. Fretless ones do work I think, bcs I've heard a few extracts and when the player isn't fretting the western parts of the fretboard, it sounds like there are quarter tones in there. Though the sound whem sliding up a fretless is pretty amazing.

my song isn't micro-tonal that turned out to be way more work than i could put into it. hope you like it though. good luck with you efforts as if done correctly it could be amazing. you would have to have a way better ear for pitch than i do to bend each note to exactly the right pitch.
Tried the bayati scale for the first time right, but I don't think I achieved the exact pitch, but it sounds nice in an odd way. My ear is still slight westernised, so I'm not used to it, but that feeling of sounding out of tune, when it's not, makes it sound really dreamy. Thanks for support, but my ear's is only on a medium level right now. A really nice one, but really difficult to find by ear, is the slendro scale. Just listened to it for the first time, but it only gives the first notes, the others are micro ones I think. Not sure if they're even quarter-tones.
Maqam is known for microtones but so is Indian Raga music. You have to be good at slides and quarter tone bends to play either type of music (those are the best techniques for bringing out those microtones and getting an exotic sound). Here's a thread of mine containing tips on Indian Raga.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1664454

I'm also interested in Arab Maqam and mixing it with Raga. Does anyone have any tips on playing Maqam. Perhaps that's the next step in tonality/modality ...
"I don't know what you're trying to suggest. There's no shame in taking what you need to hold your position!"

Super Buu (DBZ) on assimilation (it could also apply to blues guitar and guitar soloing in general).
It's certainly not the next step in tonality. We destroyed tonality 100-150 years ago.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Three of the nerdiest music nerds in all of MT and you nerds couldn't do this:

Perhaps that's the next quarter step in tonality/modality ...
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
^ BRB hanging myself for missing that.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Just be sure to have enough rope to break your neck. Otherwise will will just B E F# 7while until you suffocate.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
It's best to use a microtonal guitar for microtonal music. The FreeNote 12-Tone Ultra Plus guitar adds pure, Harmonic Series frets to the standard 12 to give some purely tuned chords and intervals that are consonant and beautiful, but rarely heard.
The New Tonality is based on the Harmonic Series, specifically the scale found between the 8th - 16th Harmonics. This is Nature's scale, and it has been kept secret from Man for far too long.
The only purely in-tune interval on a standard guitar is the octave, ALL other intervals have been mistuned, or 'tempered', to be out of tune. It's time for a change.