I uploaded this a while ago, but the file was too big to upload and the converted GP5 file didn't work. So I compressed the original .gpx file. Hope it works this time. The 7/8 part at the beginning is a bit repetitive, but there's more variation the further along you listen to it. I have writer's block, and I just don't know where to go from where I left it. The end plan is for it to modulate to what's pretty much an E major chord progression so it closes somewhat happily. Enjoy!
Attachments:
Idea 9.zip
ignore the gp5 crowd

sounds cool man , didnt really like the drums though kinda missed a nice rhytm to headbang along too and it felt kinda weird imo. also you gotta work on the sound of the overal thing imo.

nice chill song though enjoyed it mostly gj , the drums just bring it down kinda imo
Quote by MobiuZ
ignore the gp5 crowd

sounds cool man , didnt really like the drums though kinda missed a nice rhytm to headbang along too and it felt kinda weird imo. also you gotta work on the sound of the overal thing imo.

nice chill song though enjoyed it mostly gj , the drums just bring it down kinda imo

Yeah, just ignore 99% of this forum and all of their helpful crits. Nice advice broski.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
I tried converting it to GP5 before and an error kept showing up. I don't know what to do about it. Maybe the file is too big?
It's cause gp5 can't read/play 8 string guitars. In gp5 to do an 8 string you have to set up a separate track for the 8th string. So its a technical issue rather than a size issue (I've seen -and written - singer maybe gp5 filled haha).
Quote by Ometh
Yeah, just ignore 99% of this forum and all of their helpful crits. Nice advice broski.

my sentiments exactly. why pay to use something that sounds awful when you can just use free, trusty ol' tuxguitar? XD
Quote by pAWNlol
my sentiments exactly. why pay to use something that sounds awful when you can just use free, trusty ol' GP5? XD

Fixed that for you, GP5 MASTER RACE FOVERER REPRESENT
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by pAWNlol
my sentiments exactly. why pay to use something that sounds awful when you can just use free, trusty ol' tuxguitar? XD

The eighth string is worth it. How else would I make epic dj0nts?
I do have GP6 tho
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Here's an updated version of the song. I added after the solo a few parts in which I think I can structure verses and choruses off of them. Still not finished, still a WIP. Once I finish it in the not-so-distant future I'll convert it to MP3 for you GP5 nazis
Attachments:
Updated Idea 9.zip
Thanks for criting my piece. I had already heard this song when you first posted but forgot to post a few words about it.

I really like the intro, it flows pretty nice. The heavy riffs also sound pretty good to me (bar 117, 180), reminds me of Tesseract which I've been listening a lot lately.

The section you start at bar 156 reminds me of Agalloch, I feel like you could have further explored it though. I'd definitely try to develop that part more, maybe some leads? The chorus-like part afterwards is pretty sick it.

The ending also needs some work, but as you said it's still not finished. I'm digging the tremolo picked lines and middle-eastern-esque melodies.

Overall really strong piece!
early riffs were cool, i like the 9/8 bar for variation.
drums for the whole thing could be more... continuous? they felt a bit stop and go, early on, at least.
not sure about the harmonies at 74. kinda feel a bit too sad to mesh with the rest of the song. it was an awesome riff though, and i love sad. so... keep it in, i guess? and disregard this comment?
very dream theatre-esque scales. sounds cool.
didn't like 94/95. coulda stayed on the dim e chord or whatever and rode it out for 3 bars.
i think the riff at 120/136/etc would sound better swung. kinda feels a bit awkward at this point.
8va/16va harmony on the riff at 140 (or just 142/143) would be sick. don't be afraid to add guitar harmonies/overdubs on other riffs too! the first half of your piece is full of lovely harmonies! spicing up bars like 132 (repetitions of previous sections) could keep the song moving and from getting stale. btbam do this quite well, if you need an example.
funk up the octave jump at 181 like isntead of (q) q q q - try (q.) e q q or something? (e = eight note). keeping the q q riff (er, the last two notes) on 182 would provide cool contrast. (but tesseract it up and bend the shit out of the upper octave :P)
solos not what i'd play but i'm not playing it, am i? it's very... quarter/eight/mechanical sounding. i guess it's difficult to write complexities at times but it'd be better if you gave it more character. more life. more stank. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Uvl4H8QIZY)
anyways, great track. interesting to listen to. very epic :P
keep it up buddy!
by the way, i stole this riff.