I record myself playing and there is always this pick scrape noise present when I pick the strings. Is there any way around it? I can't play really loud so turning the volume up is not an option. Could use some advice here on recording technique. Thanks in advance
Last edited by nitrousable at Mar 28, 2015,
Well I use my phone Camera. It's pretty good quality. I put it atop of the amplifier and record a video of myself sitting on my bed like a meter away.
It would be a matter of moving the camcorder mic somewhere where it captures less and eqing the amp for less of that scraping sound. It is also technique.

Try a short shippet going much louder on the amp and see how it works just for comparison.

My guess would be to put the amp between yourself and the guitar so the speaker firing would be louder and much closer than your scraping sound.
Maybe time to look for something that will record audio cleaner, there are direct input options for phones, mostly on iPhone but there are a few available for Samsung...or record yourself direct to PC and take out the sound from the camera in post editing.
Quote by diabolical
It would be a matter of moving the camcorder mic somewhere where it captures less and eqing the amp for less of that scraping sound. It is also technique.

Try a short shippet going much louder on the amp and see how it works just for comparison.

My guess would be to put the amp between yourself and the guitar so the speaker firing would be louder and much closer than your scraping sound.
Maybe time to look for something that will record audio cleaner, there are direct input options for phones, mostly on iPhone but there are a few available for Samsung...or record yourself direct to PC and take out the sound from the camera in post editing.

Thank you. Unfortunately I don't have an iPhone so I'll have to stick to more conventional methods of recording. I'll try what you listed today. I was thinking of recording video and audio in separate tracks but that sounds like a lot of hassle since there will be some inconsistencies with my guitar playing on the video and the audio track. Sync issues.
I'll try setting the amps a bit louder and see how it goes
There's virtually no sync issue, since both sources of audio are digital you can sync up via the audio files.
Your can records what is to be the throwaway audio and the other not records the keeper, yoiu just match the 4 count in the start and toss the audio from the cam. You'd have to do that in software.
Quote by diabolical
There's virtually no sync issue, since both sources of audio are digital you can sync up via the audio files.
Your can records what is to be the throwaway audio and the other not records the keeper, yoiu just match the 4 count in the start and toss the audio from the cam. You'd have to do that in software.

Yea I understand that but I like to improvise a lot. I barely play same licks every time. Each take sounds a bit different than the other. I guess it won't be that noticeable on the video, I'll see about that
Try a thinner pick.I use Bass picks as I like the symmetry when playing live.There's always a tip coming round.It started when I forgot my plectrum/s at a rehearsal many years ago and my Bass player lent me one of his.I've never used a standard guitar pick since.
If I want a,"Hard" sound I use 1mm+.If I want a more subtle sound I use 0.7mm/0.9mm or if I want a more brushing acoustic tone even down a low as 0.4mm.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18-LARGE-GUITAR-PLECTRUMS-big-picks-plectrum-pick-bass-/121493882282?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c499985aa

Sound starts at the hand on a stringed instrument
Last edited by Sheppola at Mar 29, 2015,