Hey

First off I'm pretty unlearned when it come to complicated gear and electronics and stuff but I want to learn more. Can anybody fill me in on circuit bending? Tips, considerations, thoughts, anything.. Thanks!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Do wat?

I think it's the process of converting a circuit which has an intended purpose to a new intended purpose, perhaps with a drastic change. So in context of guitar, it might be changing a tube OD to a muff-style circuit. A drastic example might be adding a fuzz into guitar circuitry.

Really it just means "mods" from what I understand, just a new term I guess. I imagine it's not too difficult if you have understanding of circuitry

Actually no I'm wrong. It involves experimentation, like using a jumper cable across to points in a circuit to see what happens. Not much to say about it, then. You'll either wreck your stuff or get something unique (and unique isn't always good.) I like my definition better.
Last edited by Will Lane at Mar 28, 2015,
Circuit bending from my understanding is taking electronic devices and modifying their circuits in ways that make them do interesting and bizarre things. I've seen it be done to toys because the low voltages make them safe to mess about with. Toys that make sounds (like keyboards) are especially common.

This is the sort of thing I think of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1f3WEmjPPA

I can see an application for this in strange effects pedals.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 28, 2015,
Quote by Will Lane

I think it's the process of converting a circuit which has an intended purpose to a new intended purpose, perhaps with a drastic change. So in context of guitar, it might be changing a tube OD to a muff-style circuit. A drastic example might be adding a fuzz into guitar circuitry.

Really it just means "mods" from what I understand, just a new term I guess. I imagine it's not too difficult if you have understanding of circuitry

Actually no I'm wrong. It involves experimentation, like using a jumper cable across to points in a circuit to see what happens. Not much to say about it, then. You'll either wreck your stuff or get something unique (and unique isn't always good.) I like my definition better.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Circuit bending from my understanding is taking electronic devices and modifying their circuits in ways that make them do interesting and bizarre things. I've seen it be done to toys because the low voltages make them safe to mess about with. Toys that make sounds (like keyboards) are especially common.

I can see an application for this in strange effects pedals.

You are both right.
Its basically modification of existing circuit, but on an extreme level.
Doing it in a way thats not standard, hoping for extreme results.
Kinda like the difference between taking a motorcycle trail riding and riding in the X Games.

A lot of blind experimentation is involved, but knowledge of electronic circuits is helpful.
Also taking things designed for one thing, and screwing around with them to make something TOTALLY different.
Like taking a cheap $10 casio keyboard and turning it into a burglar alarm, or a stomp box. Or both.
Start here:
http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/board/
And here : http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/
Last edited by CodeMonk at Mar 28, 2015,
Guitar circuits can be callled a form of circuitbending.

However, as pointed out, it's not a guitar concept, it's a general electronic/audio concept.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Will Lane

Bingo.
I did it with a fuzz of mine to make a feedback loop.
Got some pretty cool sounds, but it can wreck your stuff if you're not careful