I was just mucking around in the garage with my band today, and our bassist asked to record a cover of a song that she really liked and I had used to love a few years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pr6SxJb-Dw
Ceremony by New Order.

There's a really thin and driving guitar (which is not the sound of the two-note rhythm, that's the bass), but it's so smooth and beautiful. Any ideas on how to accomplish this? I have a Gibson SG Special and a reverb setting on the Fender Deluxe Reverb that I had attempted to replicate this with, since the rhythm/lead guitarist of New Order also uses that, but to no avail. Here's what I have to work with:

Gibson SG Special with SD Invader custom installed (bridge)
Epiphone Dot with SD Antiquity HB's (bridge and neck, normal placement)
Fender Deluxe Reverb (Blackface, Reissue, custom chorus)
BOSS DS-1 Dist. Pedal

Just any ideas on equalization, distortion amount and pickup switches would be good.
Last edited by ScreamTheSilent at Mar 28, 2015,
the invader in your SG isn't likely to give you that kind of tone perhaps your other guitar would be better. are you sure they used an SG for the recording cuz it sure sounds like a single coil to me perhaps a p-90.
Oh, a p90 is what Sumner has in his SG Special (i may have the incorrect model of SG stated, but it is a p90)
Bridge pickup on your SG. Set up a nice ballsy OD tone and then roll off the guitar volume until it gets into this territory. The Fender amp should work fine.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
A lot of players in 1980s new wave & goth bands- like The Cult, The Damned, The Cure- used flangers to shape their tone, and I think I hear a bit of it in there.

For comparison's sake:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyU1RHX4w6I&sns=em
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I've found the closest I can get to the tone is with the Epiphone Dot rolled off about 30% with an average amount of distortion, along with the treble down and mid up on the amp. It seems okay, but is there any way to get the distortion to clean up nicer than a fading crunch? The guitar on "Ceremony", when calmed down, fades to a rather clean tone than a crunch that decreases in volume.
Last edited by ScreamTheSilent at Mar 29, 2015,
he may be using some kind of fuzz instead of regular distortion. many fuzzes will clean up a fair bit when the volume on the guitar is turned down.
What you're hearing is a blend of 2 separate guitar tracks, one clean and one distorted. As far as I can tell, they are panned with the clean tone on the left channel and the distorted tone on the right channel. It's gonna be difficult to replicate that with one guitar.

The distorted tone doesn't actually seem to clean up that much when the guitarist plays softer at the end - I think it sounds cleaner because the clean guitar track is more pronounced in the mix at that point.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
What you're hearing is a blend of 2 separate guitar tracks, one clean and one distorted. As far as I can tell, they are panned with the clean tone on the left channel and the distorted tone on the right channel. It's gonna be difficult to replicate that with one guitar.

The distorted tone doesn't actually seem to clean up that much when the guitarist plays softer at the end - I think it sounds cleaner because the clean guitar track is more pronounced in the mix at that point.

I used a big muff pedal with the treble rather boosted (no emphasis on the "muff" anymore) and my pickup turned down, and the rhythm guitarist is playing through a Twin Reverb on clean with a slightly offset delay. It sounds perfect! Thank you for the note of 2 guitar tracks!