Page 1 of 2
Not the film. Let's get all soft and fuzzy.

term of endearment, (noun): an affectionate word used to address a person.
  • How do you feel about these?
  • Do you use them? If so, which ones? For whom do you use these terms?
  • Do you have specific ones you use for different people?
  • How are your level of comfort with a person and your likeliness to use a term of endearment related?
  • How do you feel about people using them to address you? This could be complete strangers or the ones who are closest to you.

For the purposes of this thread, this extends to "friend," "bud," "bro," and the like.

Note: This is my first of series of threads I will be making on various subject matter as a means to generate discussion.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Yes -- bud, pal, fella, brother, bro, homie, man, dude

that's all you get from me
My God, it's full of stars!
I don't really get what I'm supposed to do, but now have a better understanding of that phrase
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

I have only heard 2 people in my life use the word 'dear' without seeming offensive. No matter who it is directed to, it comes off as objectifying people as dumb animals that kill people sarcastic or contemptuous.

The user must be:
* a mother
*not too young, but definitely not too old
*from the south
*a genuinely good person with a heart of gold.

Even then, the tone has to be just right . Just the slightest db difference/cadence/enthusiasm/that moment's body language, can completely ruin it --- even if the southern mother was the best person to have ever lived.

If asked in the context of a favor -- no matter how simple the favor -- I believe it is completely, offensively, insensitive. As if the 'means' was embodied ersatz. I personally think 'bitch' or 'mong-servant' would be less damaging.
I say things like "dude" and "man." However, anything that shows actual emotional attachment is just out of line.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
theres a couple of girls i talk to that call me love but i have mixed feelings about it.

its fine if they were dating me and shit but idk how to feel when they call me love and we're not dating. it cheapens the word and i don't like when the word love is just thrown around like that cause shit starts to get blurry after that
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
it cheapens the world

dark, dude
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by chrismendiola
Note: This is my first of series of threads I will be making on various subject matter as a means to generate discussion.
Now That's What I Call A Cool Thread Bro Vol. 1
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
I say man and bro, and homie but only to one guy. Sometimes I say "my friend" like I'm a Middle Eastern cab driver.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
1. I like them
2. too many to list
3. yes, I make up my own for different people ...kinda like nicknames but better
4. strong positive correlation with a few outliers
5. I luv it but it is weird when strangers use non-generic terms of endearment based on my physical characteristics

I would expound but I'm typing with one finger so maybe later
cat
general:
masculine: man
feminine: hon
neutral: dude

affectionate, platonic:
masculine: n/a
feminine: babe
neutral: friend

affectionate, non-platonic:
masculine: n/a
feminine: honey
neutral: n/a
i don't know why i feel so dry
I occasionally call people 'darling' out of nowhere, but most people I know get a specific name e.g. my best friend I call honey if I'm joking around with her.

guitars named after girls all get specific names.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
I love using them, chum.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by MeTallIcA313
Ima bro guy broski

A-bro-ham Lincoln
Bro-seph Stalin
Mashed bro-tato
h'inguu

I recommend you work on throwing "man" in there occasionally. It's one of my favorites.
Quote by snipelfritz
h'inguu

I recommend you work on throwing "man" in there occasionally. It's one of my favorites.

oh i definitely do man believe me
I really don't use terms of endearment for friends or family, just for my boyfriend.
STಠ_ಠ
I'll use the word "mate" when talking to friends, and that's about it. If I ever get a girlfriend, I'll just call her "mate" as well.
I have nothing important to say
I call everyone "mate" regardless of who they are.

When I get to a certain level of affection with a girlfriend all the super sickly shit comes out

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by chrismendiola
Not the film. Let's get all soft and fuzzy.

term of endearment, (noun): an affectionate word used to address a person.
  • How do you feel about these?
  • Do you use them? If so, which ones? For whom do you use these terms?
  • Do you have specific ones you use for different people?
  • How are your level of comfort with a person and your likeliness to use a term of endearment related?
  • How do you feel about people using them to address you? This could be complete strangers or the ones who are closest to you.

For the purposes of this thread, this extends to "friend," "bud," "bro," and the like.

1. I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
2&3. I use 'bud', 'bro', etc. all the time for general situations. I do have different ones for different people, usually stuff that starts as some dumb joke/sarcasm and then becomes symbolic of our blossoming relationship.
4. idk. for general terms I'll use them with most people who aren't ultra uptight and/or don't act like they want to murder me but beyond that usually just people I'm closer to (atm nobody lol).
5. idk. usually people just call me 'douchebag' or 'prick' or 'piece of shit' lol.
i call my brother "wiener" a lot.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by DardySon
I don't know do fag, bitch, whore and slut count?

And bop

Don't forget bop
breh, bro, brethren, bruv, dude, man, mang, maaaaang, dood, friend

broski
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Last edited by Burgery at Mar 29, 2015,
I call everyone bruh. As someone from the bay, it's my responsibility to sound as lazy as possible when I talk, so men, women, and family are all bruh. Typical greeting how I would pronounce it, "ey, whas goin bruh?" Or sometimes, "whassa bruh?" Girlfriends are still bruh or sometimes girl.
lol eastwinn uses babe

idk i like and use them but i'm not very original with it maybe i should change that
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
I have a different name for each of my friends. Bitchtits, Cumbucket, Doggyknobber, ****muppet, Wastegash, Cockmongler, etc.
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
lol eastwinn uses babe

u got an issue ?
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Eastwinn
u got an issue ?

no sorry i will go back to super weenie hut jr's now
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
No
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Page 1 of 2