I've been experimenting with different tunings on a six string for months now and noticed Devin Townsend using open c (cgcgce) and open b (bf#bf#bd#) So I came up with open a, which is just a full step down from open b. I like it because it has huge lows without sacrificing the high strings. Plus it allows for some creative chord voicings etc. Have you tried it? What do you think?
I play in Open C all the time, also because of Devin Townsend. I always keep at least one of my instruments in it. I've never gone lower than C though. I have extended range guitars for that. I did put my seven string in Open C with a low G for a while, which was pretty cool.
Not that tuning in particular, but I have used tunings with really low bottom strings and more or less normal high strings. Thomas Leeb used to use BEDF#AD (Oft Geht Bled is a good example of this tuning) quite often, and kind of a gimmicky one that I wrote a song with is GAA#GAD (bottom 3 strings are the first 3 notes of Gminor). They allow for incredible range of a regular 6 string.
Before I had my Seven string fixed, I used an Open A#maj7 tuning for a fear years which is pretty much the same, except with and A on the 5th string insteadof A#. Great for chords, okay for some kinds of solo's, really good for certain octave-jumping riffs.

Some tab examples:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1649043

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1666436
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by FrauVfromPoB
I play in Open C all the time, also because of Devin Townsend. I always keep at least one of my instruments in it. I've never gone lower than C though. I have extended range guitars for that. I did put my seven string in Open C with a low G for a while, which was pretty cool.

That's actually a pretty good idea... I was planning on getting a seven string for a long time and I might try it if I end up getting one. Thanks dude.