Hi!
I´ve been playing the guitar for 8 months, and I want to buy a new acoustic one.
The two I like the most, are the Yamaha 730S and the Epiphone EJ-200CE, and because of the difference of the body (Dreadnought and S. Jumbo) I don´t know which one to choose.
They both sound great to me, and I´d like to hear some opinions about them. So...
Do you recommend me the Yamaha or the Epiphone?
neither is better than the other when it comes to sound - just different. have you played both in person? i found jumbos a little more comfortable to play, but that's just me.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
That´s the point. I really like both, but I don´t know which one to choose.
I know that they´re different, and that each one has pros and cons, so I´d like to get some opinions to see which one is more right on my case.
Quote by angelete99
Hi!
I´ve been playing the guitar for 8 months, and I want to buy a new acoustic one.
The two I like the most, are the Yamaha 730S and the Epiphone EJ-200CE, and because of the difference of the body (Dreadnought and S. Jumbo) I don´t know which one to choose.
They both sound great to me, and I´d like to hear some opinions about them. So...
Do you recommend me the Yamaha or the Epiphone?
It is a generally accepted wisdom that Yamaha offers the best bang for the buck and overall quality, in the low to mid priced guitar market.

With that said, I've never owned or played one. Yamaha isn't very lefty friendly, and that's likely the only reason. They do offer, (IIRC), a thin body AE guitar in the FG series. IMO, thin body AE's are all pretty much crap, regardless of the name on the head stock.

With that said a dreadnought and a jumbo are two entirely different animals. Dreads have, (on average), a boomy, prominent bass, while jumbos go down as low, if not slightly lower, but with more control, "a tighter bass",if you will, and a bit less forwardness. Although, Yamaha is known for a slightly bright voice in general, sometimes referred to as, "Taylore-sque".

We can't really make a fair comparison between these two guitars, simply because of the vastly different materials in the B & S. Rosewood (Yamaha), and maple (the Epi).

I like the Epiphone, simply by virtue of being able to buy it left handed, and I like the sound of maple guitars. Maple seems to be bright enough to avoid the dullness of other woods, throughout the useful lifespan of phosphor bronze strings. PB usually sounds great when new, but with a not all too resonant body, it digresses to a more or less, dull thud. Of course on a fresh, hot set of strings, maple can be an earful.

I have 2 of the EJ-200SCE's , and not a trace of buyers remorse.

Your results may vary. Actually, if you're really serious about sticking with the guitar, see if youo can get a great price on buying one of each...
if it were me now i'd probably get the jumbo, because i love how jumbos sound, but i actually DID buy the FG730 at one point, although for ergonomic reasons exchanged it for a seagull original S6.

what kind of music do you play / do you want to play?
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I like to play everything that I can. Rock, pop, alternative... Maybe that´s the reason why I don´t go ahead for the Epiphone: ´cause I see it to play Oasis and things like that.
Do you think that it´s good to play a variety of styles, or that the Yamaha is more versatile?
And did you like the Yamaha or do you still prefer the Epi?
You should try Alvarez guitars. They're priced very well and are made of all solid and natural material. I got my 2 years ago and its my pride and joy. I got an AD60 model for $319 at Musicians Friend. Give them a try man, they play and sound amazing.
i play a wide variety of types of music - and enjoy it - on a wide variety of guitars from parlors to jumbos, resonators to gypsy jazz guitars. why not? i like the round tone of a jumbo and the silvery tone of the FG730 for all sorts of music.

that being said, many people feel a dread is the swiss army knife of guitars, with more versatility. me, i feel that's true more of an OM or 000, as they tend to have less boomy-ness and less tendency to feedback when mic'ed.

you could almost toss a coin on this decision, as you really like both guitars and they're both imo pretty versatile.
Quote by Skeet UK
On paper, it would be very clear choice for me - the Yamaha dread. I'm a fingerpicker, and have never played a jumbo I like, and as Patticake said, the dread is versatile. I personally prefer it to the smaller sizes, all else being equal.

I'm also deeply prejudiced against Epiphone; I will never forgive Gibson for turning a fine make into an importer brand.
Quote by angelete99
I like to play everything that I can. Rock, pop, alternative... Maybe that´s the reason why I don´t go ahead for the Epiphone: ´cause I see it to play Oasis and things like that.
Do you think that it´s good to play a variety of styles, or that the Yamaha is more versatile?
And did you like the Yamaha or do you still prefer the Epi?
OK, listen to me. People have been playing all sorts of music on the Gibson SJ-200 for decades. So, Pete Townshend plays one on stage, and Emmy Lou Harris, does her country thing on hers. Just off the top of my head, I'd say they were two very different guitarists, with two very different choices of material.

The idea that the EJ-200 isn't versatile becomes ludicrous. It's a maple guitar, and it sounds like a maple guitar. You either like that sound, or you don't.

As far as duplicating your idols goes, just because you're playing the same guitar as them, doesn't make you them.

So, the moral of the Oasis saga is this, should I choose to be another of those myriad individuals saying, "look at me, I'm playing 'Wonderwall'", I'd crack out my 12 string, and not for a minute, concern myself as to what the song was recorded with.

The opposite is also true. Greg Lake used a 12 string on the original recording of, "Lucky Man". Later, in live performance, he switched to a J-200. Not only does the guitar not do the song justice, he can't sing on key either. So, Mr. Lake should, (IMHO), buy a sound absorbing prayer mat, and kneel on it 5 times a day, facing Antares Audio Tech., as they're the ones who produce, "Auto-Tune", which seems to make stars out of tone deaf wannabes, far and wide.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 30, 2015,
Quote by angelete99
So, in the end, would you go for the Yamaha or for the Epi?
I already own 2 (two) of thje EJ-200-SCE, and they don't make the Yamaha left handed.. The only difference is the finishes. (One natural, one burst).

I don't no how many ways to explain this, I personally like the sound of maple guitars. The Ej-200 is maple. Your personal taste and results may vary.

So, like I said, the issue isn't versatility. The Epi has standard 1 11/16" top nut. It's perhaps not the ideal width for somebody who finger picks exclusively, but it is still workable.

Wait til there's a sale, and buy one of each, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Either that, or which ever guitar you choose, buy the other the next time. I'm sure you'll enjoy either one.

The truth, whichever guitar you buy likely isn't going to be the last one you buy.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 31, 2015,
kudos to Captaincranky - one of each sounds like a perfect solution

otherwise toss a coin. either guitar will be a good choice if you have no preference when it comes to tone and shape.
Quote by Skeet UK
Ok. I think I´ll buy the Epi first, and then I´ll go for the Yamaha.
Thanks for the comments!
Personally, I have never played a truly bad Yamaha guitar. Even if we're speaking about the cheapest, they're playable and sound okay. The perfect guitars for beginners and someone on a budget.

Got an FG720 four or five years ago. Still play that guitar and feel absolutely no need to upgrade. Very playable, and it sounds awesome for a guitar of its pricerange. Some would maybe prefer a warmer tone, but for an allround dreadnought - you can't go wrong. I've even seen professional musicians tour with Yamaha FG's (yes, current ones).

My next acoustic is going to be a Yamaha too.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
nice! let us know what you think after you get it

Quote by angelete99
Ok. I think I´ll buy the Epi first, and then I´ll go for the Yamaha.
Thanks for the comments!
Quote by Skeet UK
I have the epiphone and I love it. For the money the sound and look is amazing. I have not used it plugged in much but I know there is potential to play with the sound with the 2 pickups it has.