Hello!

So I want to refresh my strings on my Fender CD-140s after it will be fixed at the luthier. And the "luthier" is in this shop from I need to coose my new stringset: http://www.hangszerarzenal.net/gitar-tartozekok/hurok/akusztikusgitar-hurok to keep things more simple. This is the range of the string sets I have to coose from, what would you suggets from this supply? (Just press the browsers translater when on the shop page if needed, but the string types are in english.)

I have read that D'addario is pretty good brand and would go with that, but don't know whitch to choose from them, there are so many. I'm a re-beginner on acoustic so I would need some really light strings, like .009 or .010 to start with first, but still lost in the bidding.
The price would be optimal at around 3000.-HUFT (as listed on the site) its like 10,5$ or 9,7€. I hope theres an alternative in this price range that can also be found on the webshop. I don't want nothing extra just a decent sounding, relyable sting set, that's not too hard to play on, and suits for all kind of genres in general.
But I would consider other brands that can be found in the shop, if theres a better choice, If you would suggest.

(Sadly the brand palette is not too wide and the so hyped Elixir can't be found eighter in the shop, but I hope someone can dig up and suggest a good alternative).

Thank you for your answers!
Last edited by High9ter at Mar 29, 2015,
Generally speaking, there is no such thing as an acoustic string set with an .009 e-1.

.010 to .047 is considered "acoustic extra light. How the guitar is setup, is every bit as important as the string set. with the "action " too high, even very light strings can be painful. I suggest you either post the string height measurements of your guitar here, before you decide on strings, or better still, take it to a competent tech and let him, (or her), look it over.
D'addario 10-47, Martin 10-47, DR 10-47... they all work just fine.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Mar 29, 2015,
i use d'addario phosphor bronze extra lights on some of my guitars, and i really like 'em.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
i use d'addario phosphor bronze extra lights on some of my guitars, and i really like 'em.

I use also extra lights on some of my guitars and I like them too.

It's well worth experimenting with strings of different makes, gauges and materials. I know some people say things like: "this type of string will produce this or that sort of sound on this or that sort of guitar" but in my experience such predictions are often innaccurate.

BTW, there are a couple of makers who do sets of 9 gauge acoustic guitar string: Rotosound "Jumbo King 9" and D'Addario "Great American Bronze EZ890" are two that I know - there may be others.

PS. The D'Addario's are a 85/15 bronze alloy - quite a good compromise between PB and 80/20 - good, long-lasting strings (they do the full range of gauges).
Quote by Captaincranky
Generally speaking, there is no such thing as an acoustic string set with an .009 e-1.

.010 to .047 is considered "acoustic extra light. How the guitar is setup, is every bit as important as the string set. with the "action " too high, even very light strings can be painful. I suggest you either post the string height measurements of your guitar here, before you decide on strings, or better still, take it to a competent tech and let him, (or her), look it over.

As I wrote I'm just up to take the guitar to the tech in the shop, so he can do a full setup, cause my strings are buzzing. I guess it will be a neck and saddle (lower nut) set as well and offcourse along with a re-stringing. I have read that the thikcer the strings are the way they sound better, fuller. I don't know how I would accomodate to thicker strings after my guitars action hight is corrected, but I guess I will go with the "less risky" solution and go with the .010-.047 strings first. Will see...

Otherwise: so theres no such big benefit from the more expensive "Coated" type of stringsets? Shouldn't they sound better or last longer? Just asking, I think I will stick to this at the beginning: http://www.hangszerarzenal.net/d-addario-phosphor-bronze-round-wound-extra-light, mainly because it's price...

BTW, thaks all for the replies!
Quote by High9ter
As I wrote I'm just up to take the guitar to the tech in the shop, so he can do a full setup, cause my strings are buzzing. I guess it will be a neck and saddle (lower nut) set as well and offcourse along with a re-stringing. I have read that the thikcer the strings are the way they sound better, fuller. I don't know how I would accomodate to thicker strings after my guitars action hight is corrected, but I guess I will go with the "less risky" solution and go with the .010-.047 strings first. Will see...

Otherwise: so theres no such big benefit from the more expensive "Coated" type of stringsets? Shouldn't they sound better or last longer? Just asking, I think I will stick to this at the beginning: http://www.hangszerarzenal.net/d-addario-phosphor-bronze-round-wound-extra-light, mainly because it's price...

BTW, thaks all for the replies!

OK buzzing can also be caused by lack of "relief". Wherein the neck is either too straight, or bent back. (In other words, a slight rise in the neck toward the strings right around the 7th fret.

If you already have very light strings on the guitar, the relief is correct, and the guitar buzzes, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the action may have to be raised.

Playing the acoustic doesn't come without some level of pain. The string sets have a lot more tension than those on electrics, and at some point, you're going to realize it may not be altogether as easy as you'd like it to be, or expect it to be.

As far as coated strings go, yes they do last longer. As for sound, opinions run between, "not as good", to , "about the same".

Do they make sense when you might want to experiment with different gauge sets, different brands, or different alloys. In a situation where you might be changing strings every couple of weeks, coated strings might not make sense. Once you settle on a set that you like and want to keep, then go for the coated version of the same strings.

For example, say you like D'Addario EJ-16s (I think those are phosphor bronze acoustic light .012 to .053. You can buy the same set as "EXP-16" which are identical, save for being coated.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 31, 2015,
Quote by Captaincranky
OK buzzing can also be caused by lack of "relief". Wherein the neck is either too straight, or bent back. (In other words, a slight rise in the neck toward the strings right around the 7th fret.

If you already have very light strings on the guitar, the relief is correct, and the guitar buzzes, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the action may have to be raised.

Let's hope that's not the case and the tech can set some decent low action on it... (Fingerscross)

(BTW, I heavily shirty to the other shop whom I ordered the guitar, it came just like this, very unsetted and buzzing and it's not even a cheaper type of guitar eighter. I would never recommend to anyone to order acoustics unseen and untried from a webshop at all. Now I have learned this lesson well, and have my ideas about the attitude of (at least this certain) music store "experts" (or let's say just tradesman) changed.)
Last edited by High9ter at Mar 31, 2015,
Quote by High9ter
...[ ]....(BTW, I heavily shirty to the other shop whom I ordered the guitar, it came just like this, very unsetted and buzzing and it's not even a cheaper type of guitar eighter. I would never recommend to anyone to order acoustics unseen and untried from a webshop at all. Now I have learned this lesson well, and have my ideas about the attitude of (at least this certain) music store "experts" (or let's say just tradesman) changed.)
Ok, "heavily shirty" is slang I simply don't understand...

As far as ordering online, I'm left handed, and I pretty much have to order online. My last guitar was an Epiphone EJ-200-SEC. It plays superbly.

I've ordered 9 guitars online, and only had to send one back. It's possible that issue could have been shipping damage. Dunno.

It wasn't my first guitar I bought that way. If it were of course, I might feel exactly the same way you do.

From our talk so far, I have the feeling the problem might be you. The super light strings and buzzing complaint sets off warning bells in my head. However, I intend no offense by that. It would be better if it is you, and not the guitar. At this point I'm assuming we're past the point of being able to send it back. You, we could simply retrain...

Oh well, I hope your guitar's stay in the shop turns out in your favor. Let us know how you make out.
Quote by Captaincranky
Ok, "heavily shirty" is slang I simply don't understand...

As far as ordering online, I'm left handed, and I pretty much have to order online. My last guitar was an Epiphone EJ-200-SEC. It plays superbly.

I've ordered 9 guitars online, and only had to send one back. It's possible that issue could have been shipping damage. Dunno.

It wasn't my first guitar I bought that way. If it were of course, I might feel exactly the same way you do.

From our talk so far, I have the feeling the problem might be you. The super light strings and buzzing complaint sets off warning bells in my head. However, I intend no offense by that. It would be better if it is you, and not the guitar. At this point I'm assuming we're past the point of being able to send it back. You, we could simply retrain...

Oh well, I hope your guitar's stay in the shop turns out in your favor. Let us know how you make out.

Sorry but I don't understand what you mean by "the problem might be you". I don't get the connection between that my strings are buzzing disagreeable and I wan't light strings to begin with and that has to be something probematic related to me... Let's just don't make the aggrieved the liable... It's not for scoff, just for the reality.

Oh, and: "heavily shirty"= "fairly grumpy". (My English is not perfect, but hope it makes sense now...)
Quote by High9ter
I don't get the connection between that my strings are buzzing disagreeable and I wan't light strings to begin with and that has to be something probematic related to mec
Simply this, thin strings and a heavy touch creates buzz. Lots of players use medium strings, and raise the action, to get all the bottom end and projection the guitar will provide. Granted that's not for every player.

Quote by High9ter
Let's just don't make the aggrieved the liable... It's not for scoff, just for the reality.
As I said before, if the guitar is already buzzing, and you put lighter strings on it, that will make it worse, of that I have no doubt.

I'm hoping the neck relief is off, or it has a high fret which is causing the problem. Otherwise you may have some disappointment coming your way in the very near future.

Quote by High9ter
Oh, and: "heavily shirty"= "fairly grumpy". (My English is not perfect, but hope it makes sense now...)
Yeah, I get it now, I wish I would have had you around to decipher the 1st Genesis album for me.
I've found the lightest strings aren't always the easiest on the fingers. I've got some 10s on one acoustic and they are almost like razor blades compared to the 11s I have on my other one. The 11s are coated and have lasted the advertised 3months or so (I play a lot) - I find them to be smoother on the fingers.
Quote by gweddle.nz
I've found the lightest strings aren't always the easiest on the fingers. I've got some 10s on one acoustic and they are almost like razor blades compared to the 11s I have on my other one. The 11s are coated and have lasted the advertised 3months or so (I play a lot) - I find them to be smoother on the fingers.

Yea, I have been edified a bit lately that maybe the 0.010 sets are rather not the best choice even for a beginner. I don't want to sacrifice the tone that much on the altar of easier grip.

I have found this set: D'ADDARIO PHOSPHOR BRONZE ROUND WOUND CUSTOM LIGHT (011-.052). It's "custom" so I guess it's a bit differently selected than the "normal" sets, would that be any problem? I don't want a pherypheric sound eighter...
Quote by High9ter

Here in the "colonies" (USA), we sometimes call people "stuffed shirts". Which now that I think about it, is probably the equivalent of, "heavily shirty". ("Stuffed shirt", equals sort of rigid, grouchy, and self important).
Quote by Captaincranky
Here in the "colonies" (USA), we sometimes call people "stuffed shirts". Which now that I think about it, is probably the equivalent of, "heavily shirty". ("Stuffed shirt", equals sort of rigid, grouchy, and self important).

By heavily I meant fairly and the term "shirty" refers in an online dictionary as a word we call "morcos" that shows up in other dictionaries as the equivalent of "grumpy". But deffinitely not rigid or self important (at least thats not what I meant). http://magyar-angol-szotar.hu/morcos.html I have put these two expressions beside with an experimental approach, the likeness is there in the surface, but the meaning is a bit different. So the similarity is interesting but totally coincidental.

Edit: or "Shirty" is maybe something Brit thing...
Last edited by High9ter at Mar 31, 2015,
I'm a first time beginner, been practicing since Christmas when I got my guitar. (Yamaha FD01S)

Have tried Yamaha strings (Strung with Light 80/20s, replacement pack of Light Brass) , Elixir (Custom Light Phosphor Bronze with Nanoweb Coating.) , and currently on Martin (Light 80/20s)

Liked the Elixirs best in tone and feel. Probably get those again, but Light size. The custom lights were okay but Light more comfortable for me. Martins are doing good though a bit brighter than I'd like. Sticking with the warm Phosphor Bronze from now on. I wanna try D'Addario next.
"I think it's so cool that you can pick up the guitar and create something that didn't exist 5 minutes ago."
Meanwhile I figured out that the optimal set for me would be: D'addario Phosphor Bronze 0.012-0.047 or a similar Elixir (I would sacrifice some more cash just for the sake of "longer-lasting"). Unforunately none of these can be found in that local shop, so I guess I will order them online from another webshop, and take the set to the tech and press it in it's hands ...

Edit: the one I finally decided to order in a bundle along with other guitar accesories (from a same shop, so I will have to pay the shipping once) is the Elixir Phosphor Bronze 0.012-0.053. Sure It costs more than the D'addario (with I would I would put up with easily), but it cannot be found in that shop, so I had to convince myself about the benefits of the durability of the Elixirs against it's loader price.
Recently found this comparison video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjcNhAosXqY

The Elixir sounds a bit "fuller" on the low-end, but a bit flat on the highs specially with full chords. The D'addario seems brighter and more sharp on the highs and less bassy on the lows and the distinct string tones separate more clearly. (At least thats what I shelled out.) But I'm still not 100% convinced about the D'addarios advantage over Elixir or vica-versa, neverltheless from the comparison I still would be setisfied with the non-coated D's.

Thoughts regarding the video anyone?
Wow! Very distinct difference in tone from all of them. Think I favor the Elixirs but that said, I'm excited for the next time I have to buy some strings, I'll be getting some D'addarios to try them out. Think I can live without the Gibsons. Little too, what's the word, "twangy"? for my liking.
"I think it's so cool that you can pick up the guitar and create something that didn't exist 5 minutes ago."
Hi i have a cort mr-e dreadnought and it came with d'addario ez910 custom lights and i was wondering if you could suggest other brands cause i kinda want a new sound and feel, and im also thinking on going for a set of lights so will there be a setup needed changing from custom lights to lights (truss rod, action...)? Thanks in advance
Cleartones are the best sounding strings I've come across yet. I've tried D'addario's(coated and uncoated) and Dragon skins. The cleartones just blow them away. They just have this beautiful sparkle to them but it does go away rather quickly. Even afterwards they still sound as good as a fresh set of d'addarios.