I recently bought a made in china EVH wolfgang guitar with a Floyd rose tremolo. I have set it up correctly I think the bridge is parallel with the body and the locking nuts are locked down the fine tuners are in the middle. however when i pull up on the tremolo everything goes sharp and when i pull down everything goes flat. Please can someone tell me what is wrong and what i can do to fix it. additional in the back there is 2 springs and they rub against the wood a little.
The springs are the problem. If they catch it will cause this. Stop them rubbing. Remove the wood from under them with a file.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
I have strong suspicions that your guitar is a counterfeit Wolfgang.

The Floyd Rose block shouldn't look like that at all. Why is the block positioned so far to the left that it is actually impossible to hook a spring on the leftmost hole? The block itself also looks exactly like the ones I've seen from cheap knock-off floyds, so chances are, the entire Floyd system is a cheap knockoff too. Makes no sense for such a bridge to be on a legitimate Wolfgang.

And as for more quotes from Captain Obvious:

If the bridge is level, why on earth are you able to pull up on the bar? Is the body routed behind the Floyd to allow you to pull up on the bar? As far as I know, not a single EVH guitar has a recessed Floyd. They're all surface-mounted.

The ground wire has a red sleeve, which goes against electronic convention.

The right-hand claw screw isn't mounted straight and goes through the claw at an angle, which it shouldn't.

And what on earth is that ring-shaped thing to the right, just in front of the Floyd?

With all that aside, why on earth is a guitar that's supposed to be made to a quality standard, allow for the springs to rub so badly against the spring claw cavity, they they actually rub the paint away? That's the sort of build quality I'd expect from a Devries, not an EVH.

The solution to your tuning woes is to buy a guitar that's made to a quality standard, that doesn't infringe any trademarks. I'm fine with Chinese-made guitars that use their own logos and guitar designs, but ones designed to rip off another company's design and name? Fvck that.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 29, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I have strong suspicions that your guitar is a counterfeit Wolfgang.

The Floyd Rose block shouldn't look like that at all. Why is the block positioned so far to the left that it is actually impossible to hook a spring on the leftmost hole? The block itself also looks exactly like the ones I've seen from cheap knock-off floyds, so chances are, the entire Floyd system is a cheap knockoff too. Makes no sense for such a bridge to be on a legitimate Wolfgang.

And as for more quotes from Captain Obvious:

If the bridge is level, why on earth are you able to pull up on the bar? Is the body routed behind the Floyd to allow you to pull up on the bar? As far as I know, not a single EVH guitar has a recessed Floyd. They're all surface-mounted.

The ground wire has a red sleeve, which goes against electronic convention.

The right-hand claw screw isn't mounted straight and goes through the claw at an angle, which it shouldn't.

And what on earth is that ring-shaped thing to the right, just in front of the Floyd?

With all that aside, why on earth is a guitar that's supposed to be made to a quality standard, allow for the springs to rub so badly against the spring claw cavity, they they actually rub the paint away? That's the sort of build quality I'd expect from a Devries, not an EVH.

The solution to your tuning woes is to buy a guitar that's made to a quality standard, that doesn't infringe any trademarks. I'm fine with Chinese-made guitars that use their own logos and guitar designs, but ones designed to rip off another company's design and name? Fvck that.

Yes its a floating floyd rose, on the front the body is routed behind the Floyd rose. the circle thing which you mentioned is actually one of the tremolo mount pins/screws. I suppose it was 150 quid i should of suspected something was dodgey
Quote by crackerjack123
The springs are the problem. If they catch it will cause this. Stop them rubbing. Remove the wood from under them with a file.

Thank you I will try this, how do i remove the springs in the back so that i can get a file under them safely?
Quote by Dolphin Guitar
Yes its a floating floyd rose, on the front the body is routed behind the Floyd rose. the circle thing which you mentioned is actually one of the tremolo mount pins/screws. I suppose it was 150 quid i should of suspected something was dodgey

Consider that a USA EVH Wolfgang costs well over £2000. Should've done some research, bud.

If something seems too good to be true, it probably is.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 29, 2015,
Yes
can anyone tell me how to remove the springs so i can sand away some of the wood? And also is there anything else which i could do to improve the tuning stability
Quote by Dolphin Guitar
And also is there anything else which i could do to improve the tuning stability

Yeah. You can return the guitar, hopefully, if possible. Or, unload it for as much as you can get, and buy something else. Seriously, that trem looks ridiculous. The springs shouldn't even be rubbing the wood in the first place, not even close, and everything is crooked and jacked up, and obviously not a floyd rose. Not even a functional knock-off.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider that worth wasting time on.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
sorry you got ripped off man that sucks

and just FYI, the reason that happens (sharp when you pull up, flat when you push down, even when locked up) is that the knife edges are dull.. that's a result of the bridge plate with the knife edges on it being made of a crappy soft cheap metal instead of the hardened steel that a real floyd (or good floyd copy like a Gotoh) is made out of. there's not much you can do, you could file them back to sharpness but they'll just go dull again in a few months.. that's the downfall of (cheap) licensed floyds

if the guitar is sounding and feeling decent then I'd suggest blocking the floyd and accepting its fate as a fixed bridge guitar. take a stack of pennies or other cheap coins and get them to fit in the gaps as close to as perfect as possible (smaller, not bigger), then tape the pennies together and stuff them in there, using some sort of shim to fill in the extra space (playing cards, business cards) until it's perfectly snug and it won't move at all.. then you will have a fixed bridge and the tuning stabilitiy will improve greatly
Last edited by trashbeast at Mar 29, 2015,
Yes the rest of the guitar is good the pick-ups sound nice and the maple neck feels great, unfortunately i Cant return it. ill try removing some wood in the back or hard tailing it or if all else fails it will make ornament and remind me not to buy cheap guitars

Thank you for your help guys
Block it off and play it like a fancy hardtail, my friend. If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Dolphin Guitar
Yes the rest of the guitar is good the pick-ups sound nice and the maple neck feels great, unfortunately i Cant return it. ill try removing some wood in the back or hard tailing it or if all else fails it will make ornament and remind me not to buy cheap guitars

It's not cheap guitars you have to avoid.

It's crappy counterfeits that you want to stay away from.

You'll be an object lesson for others.

I should note that "Object Lesson For Others" is how I seem to live my life...

BTW, you may have to spend a bit of money; but you CAN get that whole Floyd thing corrected (with a good and usable Floyd Rose and locking nut and some modifications to the guitar). If the rest of the guitar is reasonably usable, and if the neck doesn't begin to warp because it was done out of inadequately dried wood, etc., you should end up with something usable. But be aware that if you sell that guitar on as an EVH Wolfgang, you'll be subject to prosecution for fraud. Keep it, enjoy it.