Ok, so this is not a topic about recordings but I couldn't put this in anoter subforum.
So I am in a symphonic death metal band, and we are about to start rehearsing soon. Until we do that, we are trying to decide how our live setup will be. The concept is: the drummer has a laptop near him with the orchestra for the audience and a click track with other backing stuff for him. The challenge is to keep the stereo of the backing tracks, with a multichannel interface or something, without also buying something too expensive. Any ideas?
Use an audio interface that has more than 2 outputs, that way you can bus the drummer one mix and the audience another.

For example stripe (record back on the DAW with output into input) the click track on all your songs as another track so in essence you'll end up with 3 mono files ), say mixed song hard l/r, and the click in mono in the middle, then create two busses, on the first bus, which I'll call main where drummer plugs via headphones you'll have all three tracks, on second bus which specifies output 3+4 you'll only feed the song tracks without the click.

Here's a list that starts with audio interfaces with 4+ outputs:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Analog+Outputs_4+-+8&ci=14834&N=4294550051+4294956764+4294956545

You can also possibly do this on a hardware recorder for simplicity so you can eliminate messing around with the PC. Something that has aux outputs should work as well. I can think of the older generation having more outputs than what is on the market, maybe used Korg D888, that should have enough so where you can provide more than one mixes, $200 on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Korg-D888-Digital-Multi-Track-Recorder-/231517700538?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e787c1ba
I have been using live midi backing tracks that I create for more than 20 years now. I use a laptop and an older version of Cakewalk to play the midi tracks through a software sound module and out of the laptop to a Behringer UCA222 which is a very good (and inexpensive) sounding interface and sound card that is just plug and play for any sound coming from the laptop. Don't rely on the laptops sound card. They are notoriously noisey and in my experience pick up 60hz hum from the laptop's power system.
I only work live in mono. Although my PA system is easily capable of great stereo performance it's not realistic to think everyone in the room will be in the primary range to hear a true stereo mix so they will miss hearing portions of the backgrounds (people on the left will miss sounds panned to the right and vice versa) and it's not possible for the performers to hear a stereo mix in the monitors unless you have some elaborate monitoring system. That being said, I would go with a mono mix of the background music panned hard to one side and a click track panned to the other side. Now you can send the click track to the drummer (headset or stand alone powered monitor) and the mix to the PA and monitors. Just an idea.
One last bit of advice. I love working with tracks but discovered early on that it's really important that everyone in the band hear the backgrounds strongly. That means a good uniform monitor system is the real key to making this work. Make sure everyone has a monitor that fits your needs and works well for the volume you perform at. If you overpower your monitors with stage volume it can be a disaster. All you need is a few seconds where you can't hear the backgrounds or your drummer can't hear the click track and it's nearly impossible to recover.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Mar 30, 2015,
You may be right. If you don't need to make any changes on the fly you can just record the backgrounds and click track and go with a simple playback unit like Tascam, Zoom, etc. In my case I need to be somewhat flexible with my midi tracks because the band can change in size and I may need to turn off certain midi channels or change song keys at the last minute but other than that a good quality digital mini recorder/player would do the job easily.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Wait, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the Focusrite scarlett 2i2 capable of sending differend audio signals to the analog outputs and the headphones?
Quote by guitarpro2play
Wait, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the Focusrite scarlett 2i2 capable of sending differend audio signals to the analog outputs and the headphones?

If it can, then that's probably your cheapest solution.
Quote by diabolical
If it can, then that's probably your cheapest solution.

Pretty cheap, since our vocalist already has one...