So I've been trying to record an original composition for high on three months now. And I'm stuck at a pair of riffs. I've recorded about half, and quite tightly, but I cannot play the parts consistently without spending almost an hour working through speeds, starting from 160 and going up till 195. Its a palm muting riff, and my right arm gets excessively tense.
Also, the second riff is a an 8th note pattern on the higher frets, I'm having difficulty playing it cleanly, have to repeatedly work up from lower speed.

Am I doing something wrong? This has become intensely frustrating, and the inability to record efficiently is slowly making me hate playing music.

My friend has written vocals for the song and is also eager to record, and that is putting additional pressure on me to complete it asap.

What should I do? Take a break and learn some covers and work on technique in general? Or keep plodding along?
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Mar 29, 2015,
If you cant play it fluidly and relaxed, you just can't play it yet. Try recording stuff you can play. Reaching too high on the technical difficulty scale is the reason most players get frustrated. Play something else that is actually fun and rewarding to play.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I agree. Before you try to record it you need to be able to play it without even thinking about it. Work out the parts, get them right before you start recording. Get some simpler songs ready to go, record those and work on the one that's giving you trouble, once you have it down, then try recording it.

If your picking arm is getting tense you're doing something wrong. Use your wrist more. Practicing on an acoustic might help too, I practice a lot on acoustic, that's usually how I learn most of the new songs I do, except in cases like two I'm working on right now, can't reach the notes I need on my acoustic. Once I switch to electric it's much easier to play.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
If you can only play it fluidly at 1/2 speed, 1/2 speed it is. You have discovered your limitations in skill and that won't change overnight. Fluid and relaxed = music.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Fluid and relaxed = music.

Perfect answer. There is nothing worse than rushing a piece of music, it isn't enjoyable and never sounds right.

There is also nothing wrong with recording something at half speed, and then using the DAW to increase the tempo after you have laid down your track.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Sadly I don't have an acoustic so

Specifically, the muscle just behind the elbow is getting tensed up. AnythingI can do about that, or should I just go back to slogging at half speed?

Practice at half speed with a metronome until you are confident you have it nailed, then *slowly* increase the speed of the metronome making sure you nail it each time. It won't be long before you can play at full speed. Each time, relax while playing. If you feel tense then you are trying to play faster than you are ready to play
Quote by AgelessStranger

There is also nothing wrong with recording something at half speed, and then using the DAW to increase the tempo after you have laid down your track.

There is so much wrong with this.
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
here's a crazy idea rethink the part. ideally speaking you should have the song down before trying to record. i record the drum track first and often lay down a basic bass part as well. i take this and practice the rhythm guitar parts til i have them down. then record. i am a little confused as since you wrote the song why can't you play the part? another option (and i do this often) is to play your guitar parts on 2 seperate tracks that way you can take each part seperately and record the song a piece at a time. combine the 2 tracks in the final mix and you'll have one completed track that sounds like it was all done together.
Quote by monwobobbo
here's a crazy idea rethink the part. ideally speaking you should have the song down before trying to record. i record the drum track first and often lay down a basic bass part as well. i take this and practice the rhythm guitar parts til i have them down. then record. i am a little confused as since you wrote the song why can't you play the part? another option (and i do this often) is to play your guitar parts on 2 seperate tracks that way you can take each part seperately and record the song a piece at a time. combine the 2 tracks in the final mix and you'll have one completed track that sounds like it was all done together.

I write using guitar pro.
Normally I keep my own technical skill in mind when writing, but I wrote this track mostly as a way of utilizing all the range on my new 8 string, and I sort of turned it into an aggressive speed fest. Most of it is still manageable, its the bits with the 195bpm down picked palm muting that's driving me and my arm nuts.

EDIT: I guess the pony icons are UG's April fools gag?
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Apr 1, 2015,
To be honest this is one of the reasons it's not a great idea to "write" in guitar pro - after all "guitar pro" isn't the instrument you've learned to play, it's "the guitar". When you think about it anybody can write something in guitar pro, they don't even need to be able to play the instrument at all. Guitar pro is a great tool for transcribing your music but it shouldn't really be your starting point, at least not in my opinion.

Also pony icons?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
To be honest this is one of the reasons it's not a great idea to "write" in guitar pro - after all "guitar pro" isn't the instrument you've learned to play, it's "the guitar". When you think about it anybody can write something in guitar pro, they don't even need to be able to play the instrument at all. Guitar pro is a great tool for transcribing your music but it shouldn't really be your starting point, at least not in my opinion.

Also pony icons?

Well its kind of too late ATM, need to record this song double time

Look at your avatar, beside your post. All of them are my little pony pictures.