How did you decide which guitars would be in which tuning? Was there a process you went upon, or was it completely random? Do you use 3 of the same guitar but each in a different tuning?
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
I'm about to have the same problem. lol. I'm probably just gonna match my favorite guitar to my favorite tuning, and hopefully get a similar neck for the second guitar.
For me, the second guitar being in a different tuning was a necessity, for a band I joined. As for the tuning I picked for the first one, that's just my preference. My Hellraiser I've had for 9 years, and it's been in D Standard that whole time. That's what I like, and what I write most of my original music in. Then just this year I joined a cover band, and most of the songs we play are E and drop D. I could (and did, at first) just capo the second fret for E, but I still can't easily drop D the hellraiser because of the Floyd Rose. For some of the drop D songs, I could just play them in D standard, and adjust the fingerings as needed. But a few of them really use those Drop Tuning-specific shapes, and I just didn't want to mess with that. So I bought the hardtail Classic, to use for standard and drop D.

Of course, now we're expanding the setlist, and I'm using the Hellraiser again anyway, with a tremolo stopper. Combine the trem stopper with a capo, and I'm using that one for Eb songs, Drop C, and Drop C#.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
My fixed bridge guitar I have in alternative tuning. My guitar with an FR I'm keeping in standard E and I plan on getting a Drop pedal for it.
Quote by BV-95
How did you decide which guitars would be in which tuning? Was there a process you went upon, or was it completely random? Do you use 3 of the same guitar but each in a different tuning?

It started organically: I had 2 electric guitars, both in E standard tuning, and decided to try Robert Fripp's New Standard tuning. I picked one, got the right strings & a good setup for that, and never looked back.

Since then, whenever I buy one type of guitar, I try to find something similar that I can put in the tuning the other isn't in.

I don't actually buy duplicate guitars. I DO have some guitars that are the same model, but they're not equipped the same way. For instance, both of my Fernandes Ravelles have Seymour Duncan SH-4JBs in the bridge, but one has a Sustainer in the neck, the other has a Seymour Duncan '59.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
As my collection grew I kind of based the tuning on the guitar. Like, I kept my Flying V in standard. My Les Paul in Eb for blues rock stuff, My SG in D for Sabbathy stuff, Hellraiser in C, Firebird in open G for slide. I guess I based it on the genre and artists more so than anything else.
Simply, i have the guitar that i like to use the most in the tuning that i use the most. It helps that i only have D and Drop C tunings to use tho, so i dont evne have a problem with having one guitar, but it just looks cool to change them on stage
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
I saw this coming and decided that multiple guitars with alternate tunings were just too expensive and too much work.

So I have four Variax guitars, a 500, a 700 Acoustic, and two JTV-89F's each of which has the capability of running virtually any number of alternate tunings without ever changing the actual tension on the strings. Moreover, you can change tunings in an instant, either with the onboard switching or by storing a user preset in a Pod HD500 or HD Pro and switching to that userbank using a foot stomp. Better yet, you can do that while running a Floyd Rose trem.

I briefly considered the octaver type pedals like the one dthmtl3 mentioned, but those will only drop whatever you have set on the guitar already, and tracking, while good, can become a concern. With the Variax guitars, I can change to ANY tuning (not just a dropped version of where the guitar is currently set), from a BluesG to a DADGAD to a Baritone to Drop Bb to a dropped standard pitch and beyond. All immediately, all without changing tension on the strings on the guitar.
BO-ring!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

The only guitar I have dedicated to an alternate tuning is a Teisco Spectrum 2, which is dedicated to Open D (or rarely Open E) to play with slide. Chose this guitar mostly because it gives me a sound similar to Hound Dog Taylor.
Gibson V and Jackson DK2M are in Eb because that's the most common tuning I use.

My Futura is in C#

There was no process, that's just how it happened.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Scale length mostly. 25.5 inch Ibby FR in c standard, 24.75 Ibby iceman and Gibson Rd in D standard and E standard respectively.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by dannyalcatraz
BO-ring!

I know, but there are times when I'd rather play than tweak. Like...in the middle of a set.

OTOH, if I had a Charlotte McKinney-type helping me swap guitars, I'd probably be doing that a lot more often.
Last edited by dspellman at Mar 30, 2015,
Sometimes on scale length, my LTD is in drop B, PRS in drop C# and the "fender" in drop D/E standard.

MY 7 string will be in standard/some funky tuning.
And when i get another guitar (probs another 6 string) it'll be in drop C/D standard.

Mostly its down to preference and how the guitar sounds.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
I generally mean to put them in different tunings but then end up just leaving them in E because I'm lazy

I suppose I put a bit of thought into it, though, when i do get round to changing. I wouldn't put a muddy-sounding guitar into a lower tuning, for example. Also the type of tones I need (mainly pickups) also influences things.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I try them in different tunings, keep them in what ones sound best, example, I usually play in Drop C but my Vintage V100 Les Paul sounds killer in Drop B, so I tend to keep it in that, the JR tele and strat stay in Drop C, with different string gauges to balance out tension/set up in that tuning
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Dressing my steak with cum is just adding more protein to my steak.

Quote by Roc8995
The Hello Kitty Strat is the most metal guitar known to man.
There is a very deep tonal divide in my acoustics between those for open tuning/slide and those for fingerpicking/ standard tuning.

It was matter of trial and error in the electrics, they are all in open tunings, but one in particular, a 335 knockoff, sound better with heavier strings and a lower tuning Much of it is in the pickups, but some is in the acoustic properties of the guitar.
Well, I always flip my Epi LP between E and Eb Standard, my Focus 3000 stays primarily in E standard./Drop D, and my parts Kramer Pacer is in D standard/Drop C.

I've been GASing for a Fender Jazzmaster and/or Ibanez Destroyer. I think whatever one I get might be put in Standard, or maybe New Standard Tuning.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by Dave_Mc
I generally mean to put them in different tunings but then end up just leaving them in E because I'm lazy

Pretty much my life philosophy to a tee. Most of mine stay in standard except as needed with the following two exceptions. I have a Dano DC 59 reissue I keep tuned to DADGAD, mainly because I don't really need it for anything else, and a dobro I keep in open G.
I can't decide either .... so I just travel light and take a hard tail guitar that I can change tuning quick and easy
Quote by Hydra26
Pretty much my life philosophy to a tee. Most of mine stay in standard except as needed with the following two exceptions. I have a Dano DC 59 reissue I keep tuned to DADGAD, mainly because I don't really need it for anything else, and a dobro I keep in open G.

yeah. see the problem is they all sound a bit different and most of the stuff i play is in E- plus a lot of my guitars have trems so once they get put in a tuning, they generally stay there. not to mention i'm pretty picky about having the "right" string gauge for the right feel/tension, so even on hardtails if i set them up for a certain tuning they'll probably just stay there.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My Logan Esquire is my main, because it's the best player and my favorite. Handmade custom stuff tends to be, y'know?

The G&L Tribute ASAT Classic is for open Dmaj7 because it's got a tall nut, and works well for slide. Powerful growly pickups are good for the songs I use it on.

Strat in Eb because, c'mon, it's a Strat. I wanna sit in my apartment and pull off Hendrix licks along to Hendrix records because I'm a 12 year old at heart.
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah. see the problem is they all sound a bit different and most of the stuff i play is in E- plus a lot of my guitars have trems so once they get put in a tuning, they generally stay there. not to mention i'm pretty picky about having the "right" string gauge for the right feel/tension, so even on hardtails if i set them up for a certain tuning they'll probably just stay there.

Most of the stuff I play is in E as well. A few of mine have trems but not the majority. For the occasional drop d or Eb tuning, I'll just retune and deal with the strings being slightly slinkier. Doesn't bother me that much.

Quote by JustRooster
...Strat in Eb because, c'mon, it's a Strat. I wanna sit in my apartment and pull off Hendrix licks along to Hendrix records because I'm a 12 year old at heart.
I wish I had guitar heroes like that. It would make playing a lot less confusing and aimless for me, I think, but I never really got into that sort of thing. Although the last time I picked up my strat I was messing around with little wing and yeah it absolutely sounds gorgeous for stuff like that so there's that.
My favourite is my white Jackson DK2M. That one stays in E standard, and so does my old Stagg strat copy. My black DK2M is in Drop D, my Epi LP is in E flat.

I'm the sort that will happily buy multiples of a very similar guitar if it's the sort I like. And by that I mean DK2Ms. I'll probably eventually end up buying a whole bunch of them so that I can have a maple fretboard Dinky in every tuning I fancy playing in!
My Epi and my Squier Jag both live in standard tuning because I use that most and they cover a pretty wide tonal range. My LTD does my D standard and drop C because it's got the obligatory humbuckers and doesn't get so muddy in the low end.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
The thing about Hendrix that always impressed me is that- in several of his songs- he doesn't necessarily use the same voicing of a given chord all through the song. It is almost like he is entertaining & challenging himself while entertaining & challenging the audience.

My reasons are quite simple. Its how the guitar looks like that decides what tuning I am going to put it into.

For example my LTD F-50 is now in Eb since it reminds me of Tom Araya's bass. Same shape. Epi Les Paul is in standard tuning since it reminds me most of classic heavy metal. And Slash of course. My Cort Z4 is in D Standard but that was entirely by necessity. I just putted that in that tuning because it was my second guitar and I wanted to practice some Death. It wont probably stay in that tuning forever, depending on what axe strikes my fancy next and if it will replace it. Pondering between Explorer and Flying V at the moment...

Yeah its stupid and maybe superficial but thats how I roll. Looks are very important to me. The guitars shape simply tells me what tuning fits it.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Mar 31, 2015,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
The thing about Hendrix that always impressed me is that- in several of his songs- he doesn't necessarily use the same voicing of a given chord all through the song. It is almost like he is entertaining & challenging himself while entertaining & challenging the audience.

I think that's exactly what he was doing. And yeah, that is really cool how he does that. Kind of on the same note, I read a story once by the guy who allegedly sold Hendrix his first righty-strung-lefty strat. He said Hendrix came in to the store and asked if they had any lefty strats. They didn't, so he picked up a righty strat, held it backwards and effortlessly played a couple songs with the strings upside down. He could just play the upside down chord shapes no problem. After noodling for a bit, he said he'd take it, along with a fresh set of strings to make it lefty.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Last edited by the_bi99man at Mar 31, 2015,
i have some of both. most of my guitar i own more than one of.

i have two Gibson SG's, one in standard, the other in C#std
i have two Gibson LP's, one in standard, one in Open G
i have three Ibanez Prestiges, two in Drop D, one in C#std.
i have two Wolfgangs, one in Drop D, one in C#std
i have three MIA teles, all currently in std, currently pondering switching one to Open G.

i have at least a dozen more guitars, all in E std.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Hydra26
Most of the stuff I play is in E as well. A few of mine have trems but not the majority. For the occasional drop d or Eb tuning, I'll just retune and deal with the strings being slightly slinkier. Doesn't bother me that much.

yeah but i already generally have them slinky to a fault for E, let alone for tuning down any further
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have 12 no wait 11 guitars ( just sold one) 6 are standard 440, 2 are Eb, 2 are D, one is C sharp, I plan on dropping one of my hard tails to B, but I am not a huge fan heavy gage strings I have one seven string that is tuned standard but it is a hard tail and sometimes I drop the low B a step.

I tune mine in accordance with which guitars I prefer to use to play songs in the corresponding tunings.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge