Hello, I am new to guitar building, and was wondering if it is necessary to finish padauk as I have noticed that it has a moderately open grain, and if so, would I use oil or shellac or some other type of clear coat. Thanks.
I only feel like me when I'm behind my ax...
Yes, it'd benefit from a finish. Without, it's very possible that it will dry and shift much easier due to the open grain. Here's a great image to help you make a decision on the finish.

Also, a thread on TDPRI with a lot of insight: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/finely-finished/464528-padauk-finishing-share-your-wisdom.html

OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Mar 30, 2015,
You don't need to finish Padauk.
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Padauk is very oily. A quick Google search confirms this.

Google search is incorrect in this context, then.
I use paduak in about 75 percent of my builds. I use it on necks, fretboards and tops.
It is not oily in any way. It is like a cross between wenge and ebony.
Doesnt clog up sandpaper like oily woods do. It is actually very dry.
Well I guess I can hit it with a good helping of linseed oil after I finish the rest of the neck. Oil seems to be a good middle ground between an actual shell finish and none at all.
I only feel like me when I'm behind my ax...
You can oil it if you want but you don't need to. Oily or not, it's quite dense and very stable.
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A