So I'm thinking of changing the neck pickup in my Gibson SG Special. It still has the stock pups (490R & 490T) in it. I don't want to change the bridge at all but I feel the neck pickup could be warmer and have more clarity. It just sounds a bit 'off' to me and doesn't sound that nice, I find the bridge seems to 'sing' a bit more as well.. I guess it would also need to match the bridge as well, so that might be a bit difficult.

I really have no idea what to put there, I was thinking a '59 but I'll be picking up my new Heritage H-140 in a couple of weeks and that has a '59 in the neck... Any recommendations?
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
I like the '59, but I understand the problem.

I could recommend a bunch of different pickups, but, depending on your budget, you might be best off talking to a custom winder or one of the higher-end makers- consider Lollar, Vintage Vibe, and The Creamery.

Contact them directly and see what they say.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 30, 2015,
I was thinking more of a standard pickup like SD, Gibson, Dimarzio etc in terms of price.

Also I should add I don't want something too 'bassy' either.

Maybe even a humbucker sized P90? The mississippi queen sounds really nice here. Always preferred a more single coil kinda sound in the neck.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Mar 30, 2015,
i'd have said a '59 was less warm than a 90T. at least compared to mine. but probably a nicer pickup.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
First, the companies I mentioned are really no more expensive than BareKnuckle.

Second, the HBS-P90 is a good idea. I like the Mississippi Queen. Others to look at would be the HBS-P90s from the companies I mentioned- Lollar's rep is excellent, and I have ones from each of the other 2 in guitars I own- plus the RailHammer Tel90
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I thought they would be more expensive than that like... like 200-300.

Are there any particular pickups I should look at?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
i like the 490 better than a SD59 personally.

i haven't played a SD jazz in a long time, never in a LP, but that could be a little better.

personally i would look for a used burstbucker to throw in there. still gibson can be found cheap regularly used.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Badmotorfingers
I thought they would be more expensive than that like... like 200-300.

Are there any particular pickups I should look at?

Well, the good news is that, like Bareknuckle, many of the "boutique" pickup makers are small companies or even one man operations. As such, they're very willing to work with you on finding the right pickup for you- some will even custom wind.

So just drop an email to Bareknuckle, Lollar, RailHammer, The Creamery, Vintage Vibe...oh yeah, and Rio Grande.

Before jumping to buy and install new pickups... try lowering the pickup. It can make one hell of a difference.
Ok I will try that. I bought an A4 magnet (still waiting for that to arrive) so I will see how that goes.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
If you haven't swapped magnets before, be careful when you're dealing with the coils. Pull them from the base too much and you'll tear the wires right off. Personally, I just loosen the screws until the magnet is free to be pushed out and then swap them (I don't remove the coils from the baseplate). Make sure you mark the position of the stock magnet in your bucker in case you want to toss it back in.

Best part about magnet swapping is it's pretty cheap. My favorite combo right now for low gain rock tones is a PAF style neck pup with an A3 mag. Usually flipped so I can get the OOP sounds from the middle.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Ok, well I watched a few videos on it and it seems pretty simple.

Yeah it only cost me like $6 lol
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Oh yeah it's simple to do for sure and kind of gets a bit addicting when you really start getting into it. I still have a bunch of extra magnets lying around from all my experimenting.

Now back onto aftermarket pups... The 59s are nice but I find they can get boomy and a bit muddy on the low end (I've got one in the neck position of an LPC). If your rig is 'dark' it might not work too well. I would maybe consider the SD Pearly instead if you're wanting more a bit more clarity @ a lower output.

Jazz model you could check out but that might be a little too bright for what you want.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
If I end up swapping pickups I'll probably go for a HB sized P90
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino