It's finally time to buy a wah pedal and I'm between the Dunlop Zakk Wylde and Dunlop Kirk Hammett. I already know I like Zakk's wah tone since he uses it live and I just saw them, but it didn't sound full enough. How does the Kirk Hammett wah sound? I'm mainly playing thrash metal if that makes any difference
I say get neither and get a 535q instead. Extremely versitile and easily the best wah dunlop makes.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Get the Dimebag wah its a 'Beefed up' version of the 535q, you will be able to get any tone hear want with some experimenting, it's pretty expensive but worth it can't recommend it enough.
http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/db01-dimebag-signature-wah
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
Last edited by Guitar137335 at Mar 30, 2015,
the 535q is pretty good but the sweep is pretty small for my tastes, but I guess all dunlop ones are probably the same.
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Quote by Badmotorfingers
the 535q is pretty good but the sweep is pretty small for my tastes, but I guess all dunlop ones are probably the same.

My typical suggestions, Fulltone Clyde or a RMC. The Clyde has a ton of physical sweep, and the RMC wizard wah is just wicked.

Or Morley.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Morley
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I personally have the zakk wylde wah AND have used it at live shows at high volumes. No disappointments! Although...I'm thinking about buying a morley pedal because I hate how pots wear out on the dunlops
Quote by JRSOLDJA
I personally have the zakk wylde wah AND have used it at live shows at high volumes. No disappointments! Although...I'm thinking about buying a morley pedal because I hate how pots wear out on the dunlops

they don't wear out that fast. they are easily replaced. but morelys are nice wahs. i just like my fulltone better.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
they don't wear out that fast. they are easily replaced. but morelys are nice wahs. i just like my fulltone better.

IDK, mine wore out after a few gigs and a few practice sessions (each session a couple hours long) so...I wouldnt buy another pot circuit wah pedal just for that reason.
Quote by JRSOLDJA
IDK, mine wore out after a few gigs and a few practice sessions (each session a couple hours long) so...I wouldnt buy another pot circuit wah pedal just for that reason.

If it died that fast it should be fixed under warranty. I have never heard of a wah dying that fast.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by JRSOLDJA

Bullshit
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by JRSOLDJA
IDK, mine wore out after a few gigs and a few practice sessions (each session a couple hours long)

No it didn't.

I don't know what you're doing to your gear but if you somehow manage to blow out a wah in a few hours and you go through a quad of 6L6s every two months, you are either living above some sort of electrical singularity or you are doing something wrong to screw up your gear. The fact that you think these things are somehow normal or representational is troubling. A reasonable person might question whether their equipment was faulty.

Do you buy a new pair of shoes every week when you wear through the soles? Do light bulbs last you twelve hours? If they did, wouldn't you ask a few questions instead of just continuing to buy new bulbs every evening? Does it seem reasonable to you that wah pots would last only a few hours? Have you checked your house for gas leaks recently?

On topic, I liked my 535Q and I feel like it can replicate pretty much anything Dunlop makes. If you want the really good stuff RMC makes very, very good wahs with a few specifically voiced for higher gain.
Quote by JRSOLDJA

What the ****?

What the flying whale tits do you do to your gear man?!
You claim to run through power tubes every month or two, now you're saying you wore out a wah pedal in a couple hours?

I've had my wah for 5 years, and have had 0 trouble with it.
Not at all.
And I've used it for countless hours, used it during live shows, practices, jamming, recording, you name it.
I've dropped it down stairs, it's been submerged in a puddle, and nothing.

You must've either gotten a faulty one, or completely misunderstand how to use your gear.
Which, judging from your claim of burning through Power Tubes at an insane rate, I'd say it's the latter.
Quote by darkwolf291
What the ****?

What the flying whale tits do you do to your gear man?!
You claim to run through power tubes every month or two, now you're saying you wore out a wah pedal in a couple hours?

I've had my wah for 5 years, and have had 0 trouble with it.
Not at all.
And I've used it for countless hours, used it during live shows, practices, jamming, recording, you name it.
I've dropped it down stairs, it's been submerged in a puddle, and nothing.

You must've either gotten a faulty one, or completely misunderstand how to use your gear.
Which, judging from your claim of burning through Power Tubes at an insane rate, I'd say it's the latter.

+1 something is wrong.

Now that I think about it i don't even recall many, if any, posts with a wah pot failing.

I don't know what you are doing.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I went to a Guitar Center about two years ago for a Wah pedal. I knew it would be a Dunlop or VOX Wah ( I already had an Ibanez Weeping Demon and my old Maestro Boomerang which is about 40 years old). I tried most of "celebrity" branded versions and though there were slight differences, it wasn't worth the extra money (which is often double the basic Dunlop modal). The Zak modal is $140.00, the Slash modal is $150.00, the Dime and Hammett modals are $160.00, Bonamassa $170.00 while the basic Dunlop is $80.00. The differences (which are often no more than a fancy paint job) were often audibly small to hardly at all and are not worth the celebrity endorsement in my opinion.

Sound wise the Morley basic is a great pedal. I ended up going with a basic VOX pedal and it's fine for my purposes. In the course of a nights playing I might use a Wah pedal on maybe 8-10 songs. Unless Disco comes back (at which time I'm giving up altogether) the basic Dunlop, VOX or Morley works great for me.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Apr 8, 2015,
Quote by Rickholly74
I went to a Guitar Center about two years ago for a Wah pedal. I knew it would be a Dunlop or VOX Wah ( I already had an Ibanez Weeping Demon and my old Maestro Boomerang which is about 40 years old). I tried most of "celebrity" branded versions and though there were slight differences, it wasn't worth the extra money (which is often double the basic Dunlop modal). The Zak modal is $140.00, the Slash modal is $150.00, the Dime and Hammett modals are $160.00, Bonamassa $170.00 while the basic Dunlop is $80.00. The differences (which are often no more than a fancy paint job) were often audibly small to hardly at all and are not worth the celebrity endorsement in my opinion.

Sound wise the Morley basic is a great pedal. I ended up going with a basic VOX pedal and it's fine for my purposes. In the course of a nights playing I might use a Wah pedal on maybe 8-10 songs. Unless Disco comes back (at which time I'm giving up altogether) the basic Dunlop, VOX or Morley works great for me.

I couldn't agree more with this. I've been playing a Dunlop CGB for 7 years. I use it every time I play. I've tried so many wahs over the years, so many - from boutique to signature models, and when it really boils down to shelling out the dough, what am I really getting?

That Dunlop was 30 bucks at a Pawn, and it gets the job done. I really have no complaints.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204