I'm gonna go out on a limb and say bad idea for multiple reasons, some of which should be obvious.
Unnecessary. You are not training your hands to be stronger or be able to move faster with more weight when practicing guitar, you are training your hands to become more efficient.

Besides, most of instrumental technique is carried out by the brain, not by the hands. Because you are creating and reinforcing neural pathways when practicing guitar, training the brain to transmit information to do a certain action faster (not speed of the hand, rather brain to hand speed) and more efficiently. This is why these things don't actually help, not to mention that it would likely cause more problems (tension, strain on the wrists etc)

Maybe you should put some weights on your brain instead.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
I'd skip the wrist weights. However, practicing while standing on a Swiss ball is good for alternate picking.

Somebody give that man a guitar!

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. This is my religion." -- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by Virgman at Mar 30, 2015,
Quote by theawesomeginge
what do ya think?

I have a question for you: why would this be good? Whether or not it would be harmful I actually just want to know what the rationale is behind it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I'm likewise dying to hear your reasoning for why they could possibly be useful...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I too would love to hear what possessed you to think this was a good idea
Logically thinking only thing this MIGHT help is endurance. Like for intense and heavy downpicking for long periods.It does need muscle endurance aswell which every downpicker practices daily from what I have seen. But I fear having this extra weight in your hand will also screw up your technique. Too much tension and eventually screwed up tendons.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
Logically thinking only thing this MIGHT help is endurance. Like for intense and heavy downpicking for long periods.It does need muscle endurance aswell which every downpicker practices daily from what I have seen. But I fear having this extra weight in your hand will also screw up your technique. Too much tension and eventually screwed up tendons.

Completely the wrong muscle sets would be worked out by wrist weights; wrist weights would work out the upper arm muscles, it should be the muscles in your forearms doing the vast majority of the work for playing guitar.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
you're better off doing deadlifts and pullups once a week at the gym
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Completely the wrong muscle sets would be worked out by wrist weights; wrist weights would work out the upper arm muscles, it should be the muscles in your forearms doing the vast majority of the work for playing guitar.

Oh yeah, my bad.

Only way my post would be viable is if you picked like Jeff Hannemann (rip) but you would be wiser not to.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3