Dr z z28 blues rock um for budget I probably wouldnt pay more than 400 dollars for a guitar pickup
JB typically matches well with strat pickups. It's louder, but that's sort of the point, and it sounds quite a bit like a humbucker version of a strat bridge pickup.

SL or 59 will have a better match output-wise but I'm not a huge fan of PAF type pickups in strats, I think they sound wimpy and cold. If you're getting a fatter pickup for the bridge you might as well have more output to go with it. Duncan SH5, 14, 11 are all variations on the 59 but with more output.
What I'm looking for is something that matches the tone and maybe just a tad hotter but pretty much trying to find a humbucker that sounds as close to early 60s strat pickups as possible.
If you want to sound like a 60s strat pickup you need a single coil. If you want it hotter they make those. Same with noise cancelling. There are plenty of great pickups that sound like a slightly hotter, quiet 60s strat pickup and none of them that I've ever played were a humbucker.

None of those humbuckers sound a lot like a strat single coil. The JB sounds nearest to a strat bridge pickup, the rest don't sound remotely close. If you get the JB you can always lower it to drop the output, or get the other two pickups slightly overwound to close the gap.
Ok. I guess what I should say is I'm looking for the tone range similar to these pickups. The Seth Lover has a 6/4/8 treble mid bass. Something like that. That pickup is a little too sharp for my taste though. I want something more warm and punchy. The Duncan distortion is a good example of the tone range I want but its just too hot. The dimarzio at-1 has the presence I'm looking for ( warm a little.punchy) but the tone is more similar to a jb.
What about a HB-sized P90? Or one of the growing number of HBs that are literally made with 2 smaller pickups, for better tones when split?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 30, 2015,
I agree, a P-90 would be great. I haven't found a lot of humbuckers that sound warm and punchy in the bridge of a strat without having a fairly high output.

The P-Rails might be worth a look although I'd suggest getting the neck version, the bridge version is too hot to match with single coils and I can't even imagine why they made a "hot" version of the already overpowered bridge pickup.
If you check out the custom winders, you can get a HB-sized Charlie Chtistian. That could work.

Contact Pete Biltoft at Vintage Vibe:
http://vintagevibeguitars.com/pickup_sc.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 30, 2015,
Dimarzio tone zone is looking good.
Last edited by gambit1983 at Mar 31, 2015,
i agree with colin. i work on a MIA strat with a JB in the bridge, and it goes quite well. honestly i have no idea what the neck and middle pickups are, probably stock, but they go together with the JB well.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
When you say "match", what do you mean exactly?

Do you want the humbucker to match the output of the singles? Not sure that's going to happen, even with low output paf-type humbuckers.

Do you want to split the humbucker and have its split sound match the output of the single coils? That's much more possible to achieve. You normally want a fairly (but not super) hot humbucker for that to work. a vintage spec 60s single coil is normally around 6k or so I think, so around double that (it's not an exact science, and the resistance isn't the only, or even the main, thing affecting output, it's more a very rough proxy for output) is normally what you want. Duncan JB, one of the Customs, something like that.

problem is that's probably hotter than you'd ideally want for blues rock when in full humbucker mode.

as colin says, virtually everything you do is a compromise when it comes to deciding on pickups- you need to decide what you need and want, what would be nice but not essential, etc. etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?