I am seriously considering getting the 50w EVH III head and the 1x12 Cabinet. However I was browsing and I noticed the Kemper (non powered) costs the same amount of money.

I pretty much only play Metal and Shred so the EVH would definitely do what I want it to do and it would do it well. On the other hand the lure of the Kemper's potential is pretty strong especially if it can match the EVHIII sound wise.

Can anyone offer any advice? Is the Kemper worth getting instead of an all tube amp? I've never owned a tube amp.
Last edited by MegadethFan18 at Mar 30, 2015,
Quote by MegadethFan18
I am seriously considering getting the 50w EVH III head and the 1x12 Cabinet. However I was browsing and I noticed the Kemper (non powered) costs the same amount of money.

Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
I'd say get the amp. The kemper could do a damn good job, however if you only play metal..no need to have a wild amount of versatility.

Plus, with the Kemper you'd need peripherals, be it studio monitors, a full range active speaker or power amp and cabinet, which would all raise the price up a fair bit.

But yeah, what above poster said..the powered Kemper is almost exactly the same price.
Last edited by ambler3 at Mar 30, 2015,
Wait for the AX8
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Quote by lemurflames

EVH 50w is £840 1x12 Cab is £310 = £1150.
Non powered Kemper is £1150 (Powered is £1500).

Quote by ambler3
I'd say get the amp. The kemper could do a damn good job, however if you only play metal..no need to have a wild amount of versatility.

Plus, with the Kemper you'd need peripherals, be it studio monitors, a full range active speaker or power amp and cabinet, which would all raise the price up a fair bit.

But yeah, what above poster said..the powered Kemper is almost exactly the same price.

I was leaning a little more towards the amp.
Kemper sounds a bit worse but it's a shit ton more convenient, for recording and live performance especially, even if you don't need the versatility.

If you could use the convenience and versatility def get the kemper, else if you want a better sound (just a bit really) and you don't care for the ease of use, get the evh.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I'd get a powered kemper. Actually, the next amp i will get will definetly be a powered kemper. It's just way more convenient for giging, since you can just change patches with the kemper pedal. It eliminates all the tapdancing i have to do on my pedalboard right now, and it sounds good. I guess there's a reason why a whole bunch of bands use it live.

If you are just playing at home, then thats another matter. I'd still get the kemper, since its probably great for recording, but if you are just bedroom player, then i'd go for the amp.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
I've been playing the EVHIII 100W head (through an Orange V30 4x12 Cab, though I've tried it with the dedicated cab as well) for over two years now and I can whole-heartedly recommend it. I play thrash metal mostly, but the blue channel will give you everything from rock to slightly-less-metal-than-the-metal-channel tones if you want that for a change. The clean channel is really nice and chimey (even with old, dull strings). While it's definitely geared towards the metal crowd, it's a very versatile amp. The only drawback really is the weight, and how much it's going to cost if I ever need to replace the tubes. But for a combo, neither are much of an issue.
^ but the combo is still heavy and lots of tubes too

I think I'd prefer the 5153 myself.

The Kemper seems attractive but my fear is that I'd spend more time chasing different tones and spending more money for the best patches then just playing my guitar.

Comparing a strait amp to something like a Kemper doesn't seem fair either. To you that is. They are different animals.
Oh oops. Didn't give my two cents. I haven't played a Kemper but I did have two Pod HD Pros and an HD500. I gave them many chances but they didn't stick around. I'm with 311. I spent too much time playin' with my knobs and not playing the guitar. Happy with my 5150 III. Crazy good tone out of a plug and play amp!
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
yeah kemper is wildy more expensive if you factor in a tube preamp ( or a good solid state) etc etc etc. but i would of course take the kemper. i mean, you could have almost a perfect model of every high gain amp on the market. what is the value of that? 100 thousand dollars?

without paying for one of the most sophisticated, high tech, expecsive, cutting edge products on the market....yeah the 5153 is an amazing amp that will do what you want.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I wasn't super impressed with the EVH 50w and LOVED my Kemper. That being said, for your purposes, I'd choose the EVH, as its a complete rig and will do all the sounds you need. Unless you're recording lots of diverse tones, it's kind of pointless to spend that much cash on the Kemper.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Oh yeah. Good point. I've yet to play the 50w. People have complained that it is a bit meh compared to its bigger brother.

The 100w version I HAVE played on numerous occasions and it is such an awesome amp. You could probably find a used one for under $999. That's what I'd do.
Quote by lemurflames
Oh oops. Didn't give my two cents. I haven't played a Kemper but I did have two Pod HD Pros and an HD500. I gave them many chances but they didn't stick around. I'm with 311. I spent too much time playin' with my knobs and not playing the guitar. Happy with my 5150 III. Crazy good tone out of a plug and play amp!

I get what you mean, I'm currently using a GT-100 and I've never been able to make it sound good.

I ordered the EVH III 50W and the 2x12 Cabinet. Thanks for the input everyone.
Good on you.

We want to see your NAD!

If the shared EQ end up driving you crazy you can always send it to Voodoo or the like and have it modded. There is a mod thread that is very much alive over at guitar amp board dot com
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Apr 2, 2015,
I certainly wouldn't get the 212 combo.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by diabolical
Sorry, extension speaker. 1x12 just never satisfies in terms of sound dispersal. My 2c.

From yesterday:

Quote by MegadethFan18
I get what you mean, I'm currently using a GT-100 and I've never been able to make it sound good.

I ordered the EVH III 50W and the 2x12 Cabinet. Thanks for the input everyone.

???
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Says who? I'll fight 'em!
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ but the combo is still heavy and lots of tubes too

I think I'd prefer the 5153 myself.

The Kemper seems attractive but my fear is that I'd spend more time chasing different tones and spending more money for the best patches then just playing my guitar.

Comparing a strait amp to something like a Kemper doesn't seem fair either. To you that is. They are different animals.

I'd imagine most of us would do the same thing with any new piece of gear. I was the same way when I bought my Kemper. Downloaded tons of profiles and just lose evenings just fiddling. I'm now down to using only a handful of tweaked profiles.

The library manager makes it pretty quick and easy to demo profiles direct from the Kemper web site.

If you want exactly what the 5153 is offering, go that route. If I had a spot to put a real amp to full use, I'd definitely think about switching (Mk V).
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
My opinion is Kemper good for active touring or session musician who work in studio and need are various amps sound. But if you play at home or play local gig, i think one tube amp and cab is are most suitable for you.