Ok guys need a bit of advice on bass guitar compressors....I currently use an Ashdown stack...1 4x10 cab and a smaller 1x15 extension cab and and the ashdown head is a 600w mag evo...got everything dialled how I like it for my tone and dont have the compression too high on the head...however there are maybe 2 songs that I play live with my band that have a reasonably fuzzy bass sound (I'm doing a couple of bass solos)..with my current settings I find that the solos I play aren't cutting through as much as they should be....rather than mess with my settings I was considering buying a bass compressor pedal, getting the sound i want and just stomping on it for the 2 tunes in question......any suggestions on a decent bass compressor I could use?..I've checked quite a few out and read the reviews, quite a few of them negative....don't want to spend loads of cash on one either as I'll only use it for 2 songs......or should I just buy a bass fuzz pedal ?
The one that gets the most good write-ups is the Keeley Compressor:

https://robertkeeley.com/product/keeley-4-knob-compressor/

EBS makes the MutliComp Compressor, and it is also very good:

http://www.ebssweden.com/content/multicomp.php

Beyond that, if you are looking to save money, take a look at the Boss Limiter/Enhancer, or MXR's DynaComp.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Cheers mate I'll check them out....local music shop stocks the boss limiter/enhancer...off to see if he'll let me tryone out
An understanding of Compression is one thing that has escaped me.

Perhaps, drawing from the idea of the OP here, I could use it when I go to an Overdriven tone (Ace of Spades), as I have one always handy on the BP-8. Yet, I have not found it to integrate well into my overall tone and attack that inspires me.

The present setting that I have kept around actually messes with the Attack of the signal too much that I do not like it. The setting I worked with was for Punch, but striking the bass with it on actually stalls out my attack.

I will have to do more reading and experimentation.

I was thinking of having a Lightning Boy LA-2A built for PreAmp experimentation purposes. [having it built to match my friends LB LA-2A] Of course this is an update of 40's Technology, hand oiled and paper wrapped caps, silver wiring, 5 Rack Spaces, and $2500, if he will make one again.

So many evil experiments, so little money.

Any suggested reading on Compression?
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
after reading through most of ovnilab i settled on the ebs multicomp and i dont regret that decision at all.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Thanks Moody git!

Interesting stuff, some of which does not make me feel so dumb.
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B