hi guys,

so i've been inspired by Royal Blood, im trying to get a tone similar to this really thick, fuzz sound with harmonics and overtones and stuff like you can hear here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUKW3yeOeIE

i really love that tone at the start, i know he uses a bass and i assume some of those harmonic like sounds are from using the POG2, but i want to try and get that heavy sound.
i've got a Zvex Mastotron like him but im using that on my 'fake bass' sound atm, i can get pretty close to that fuzz tone with it, but that means i need a new pedal for my bass sound to produce enough low end.

so.. i was wondering if using a bass eq pedal on my octave down guitar tone would get me some good bassy low end? and as for the fuzz tone i think i can get a decent sound with the Mastotron, but what other fuzz pedals out there give a really rich sound like that above? because although it sounds alright, for now using two amps, the Zvex loses its trebbliness if im trying to get low end out of it, and i don't want to use a third amp with a more trebbly guitar at the moment because thats too much hassle.
Last edited by GuitarHawk99 at Mar 31, 2015,
Thing is, it's hard to nail a bass tone using a guitar.
The bass' heavier strings give it stronger overtones on the low frequencies.
Something a guitar can't match 100%
A 10 band EQ could help you out.
I'm not sure if a bass EQ would help much or not.

Might wanna try running through a bass amp though
do you have a run down of that guys gear? gotta wonder if the bass is being feed through both pickups one for bass and teh other for treble as he does seem to have a fair amount of top end. billy sheehan does something like that.
He uses three amps, I think the way he has his amp set using the Zvex, it just manages to produce a really overtoney sound because he's actually shifting the signal up an octave to sound like a guitar.

I have tried running through a bass amp and it works great, but only if I've got the Zvex in the signal chain or it will have no low end, that's why I need an eq (I'm guessing) to add low end to my bass signal to replace the Zvex, and I thought a bass eq pedal might work better considering it is designed for bass.

Not sure about the pickup thing, I think the top end is because he uses two octave up signals through two guitar amps to get more of a trebley tone.

I think the Zvex might do the job for now, otherwise it's just up to me to find a new fuzz pedal, so mainly I want to know if a bass eq pedal is a good idea for my situation or maybe there's some other type of pedal such as a boost that can add bass-like low end?

FYI: just to clarify my rig, I'm producing my bass sound using an octave down whammy pedal through a bass amp and the Zvex to add low end
ok. good luck as that seems like a pretty wild setup. as metnioned it will be tough to get exact with a guitar.
i have had similar tone with a mesa MKIV and a fuzz for guitar.

i haven't heard of them before. they are pretty cool.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
yeah i think the thing i'm missing is partially my amp, i have a Vox VT40+, the distortion tones on there are pretty yuck probs because it produces them digitally, so i should get a new amp but i cant at the moment.

so that's why i'm thinking of using a different fuzz pedal. The Zvex with my amp isn't quite as smooth as the sound above, but its decent.

back to the eq; i guess my only choice is to go to a shop and try out some different eq pedals and see what happens.
a new amp would probably do you best, but i can understand not being able to get one.

what are you tuning to?

a different fuzz could help, but by the time you get to doing that, you are halfway to a new amp, and the zvex isn't bad at all really.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
i usually stay in standard, although lately i've been jumping around from drop D all the way to Standard C tuning.

the main thing is getting a smoother sound from the zvex, i think ill have to just cope until i can get a better amp.

so will an eq help for getting low end on my fake bass? would a bass boost pedal work better maybe? i imagine an eq would be more versatile, btw if you put all bands flat right near the bottom of the pedal, will it create a sort of high pass filter sound that will get rid of all the low end? it looks like mike (from royal blood) is using an eq for that purpose in some of their songs. i think Tom Morello also did that kind of thing.
Quote by GuitarHawk99
i usually stay in standard, although lately i've been jumping around from drop D all the way to Standard C tuning.

the main thing is getting a smoother sound from the zvex, i think ill have to just cope until i can get a better amp.

so will an eq help for getting low end on my fake bass? would a bass boost pedal work better maybe? i imagine an eq would be more versatile, btw if you put all bands flat right near the bottom of the pedal, will it create a sort of high pass filter sound that will get rid of all the low end? it looks like mike (from royal blood) is using an eq for that purpose in some of their songs. i think Tom Morello also did that kind of thing.

as odd as it seems, i don't think an EQ would be your solution. yes you could go more bass heavy, but it doesn't create lower frequencies. i think that you would do best waiting and saving up and getting a new amp. it sucks to wait, but its better than throwing money at a temporary solution.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
A new amp should be all you need. In the beginning, it's just an octave pedal and fuzz. You should be able to do that with a guitar, amp, and fuzz pedal. You don't need anything more. There's actually not much low end. At around 28 seconds, he mixes that fuzz tone with a clean bass tone and that's where the low end comes from. But it goes in and out. Your problem is your amp. It's a 1x10 modelling amp. You're going to need something bigger if you want it to sound big.
+1 its not really heavy on the bass, just low on the treble and presence.

i agree with JELIFISH19 in that your amp isn't going to do it.

be patient and save up. it will be worth it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Oh no, I don't mean low end for the guitar signal, that is fairly sorted, I'm talking about using a bass eq pedal on my FAKE BASS signal, not my fuzz guitar sound.

I'm actually splitting my signal into two seperate chains, one for the guitar which I'm thinking of using the zvex for, and the second is shifted down an octave and running through a bass amp to create the effect of a bass guitar and a regular guitar playing at the same time.

I know that he switches the bass in and out, I want to create that fuzz tone for my guitar signal, but I'm also talking about how to make my fake bass sound bassier as well.

I know buying a better amp is what I need, but that will be for my guitar sound, I need the eq pedal (or some other pedal) to create the bass guitar sound.

Sorry for any confusion