Hi I've been playing guitar for the past year now and I've done well learning quite a lot of chords and a few easy songs.

However I feel like I'm really stuck with strumming and rhythm of most songs I want to learn. I can do the chords fine but I can't understand the pattern from just listening to the music.

Do any of you guys have any advice, or ideas for exercises that could make it better?

Thanks
Last edited by char-bot at Mar 31, 2015,
Find some videos or tab that explain the strumming of the songs that you want to learn. Once you get some knowledge on how people generally strum you will be able to figure out what other people are doing cause often there are a lot of similarities.
Does any one know if there is any strumming
Patterns for the tabs on this site?
Many thanks
Yes, tabs usually have strumming patterns marked by ^ for up strums and the down pointer for down strums. Otherwise just use your ears. The different between down strumming and up and down can be noticed pretty easily. Just listen for the next chord and what tone it starts with. If it starts with lower notes it's down strum. Higher notes and it was an up strum. You'll get used to what it sounds like.
My gear
Ibanez RGA42E (6-string), Ibanez RG7421 (7-string w/Dimarzio Evo 7 and Ionizer), ESP LTD MH-50 w/floyd rose
Flashback Delay, Digitech RP1000
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Marshall 1960a W/ Eminence Governors and Patriot Red White Blues
Hi char-bot

You could get a recording device that can play what is recorded at slower speeds. I think they are softwares that can do the same.

Good luck!
I just learn the song first, then tap out the beats to memorize it again (on the guitar body) play the song again, then when you are ready strum the chords in whatever pattern suits you best. I don't bother trying to learn the exact "d.u,u,d,d,d,u," stuff. Learn the song, then transfer that beat to the strings.
However...you can't really do this with picking though, I still as yet haven't got the hang of developing picking rhythms.
Quote by Ian_K
I just learn the song first, then tap out the beats to memorize it again (on the guitar body) play the song again, then when you are ready strum the chords in whatever pattern suits you best. I don't bother trying to learn the exact "d.u,u,d,d,d,u," stuff. Learn the song, then transfer that beat to the strings.

You don't have to strum things the same way, but you need to be able to pick out a strum patter if need be. Really, some of the most basic things you can learn by ear are strum patterns. If you have trouble picking them out you just need to do it more. Substituting your own strumming in because you can't figure out the proper strumming is not productive.