Hey guys! So, I am on a really tight budget and I am looking for a cheap amp just to practice at home. Anyway, I want to get the best sound as possible for the money.

I'll be playing mostly thrash metal and some melodic death metal too, and I am looking at these 2 amps:

Peavey Vypyr VIP 1 - http://www.musifex.pt/peavey-vypyr-vip-1

Roland Cube 20GX - http://www.musifex.pt/roland-cube-20-gx

My budget is around 150€. The Roland Cube is 22 euros above my budget, and I was wondering if it is worth it. Or does the Peavey handles better distortion sounds and has a overall better tone for metal?

I really don't want to spend much more than 150 euros, but if the Roland Cube is better, then I guess I could spend those extra 22 euros.

I'm open to other suggestions too, but on that website they seemed the best for my budget.
Get a used vypyr vip 2 or vip 3, or even a non vip 3.

You want a bigger speaker.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Used Vypyr 30. any way you look at it Peavey will deliver better high gain tones.
I'll try to hunt down some used Vypyr 2 or 3, if I can't find one around, I guess I'll have to go for the Vypyr 1.

Thank you all for the quick answers!
Yeah, find a used Vypyr 30 they run <$100 used
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
honesty with little hands on experience, i liked the first run of vypyrs better than the vip's. the only way i would consider getting a vip would be if i wanted to use it with a bass .

and you do want a bigger speaker. IIRC the vypyr 30 has a 12" and would be what i would go for.

i haven't played a cube in forever, so i can't comment there.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I haven't had hands on with a viper, but I did recently play on a cube again and I was massively unimpressed, bland, stale. just not very nice
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
This

Please listen to PonyFan #1626584

That's Robb to everyone else
I hate the pony's
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate

I like my pony! It's a change up from the silly other avatar I use cause I'm too inept to make my own avatar. I wouldn't mind keeping my pony, haha!

What about a Vox Valvetronix? That's my personal favorite starter/modeling amp. I don't think there's a huge difference between any of the major brand modeling amps though.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Apr 1, 2015,
What about a Laney LG35R?

http://www.lismusica.pt/?product=5059

It has a 10' speaker, but I wonder about its tone and distortion sound.

Anyway, a Vox seems a good suggestion too, I'll see what I can find.

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to amps, so forgive me this question if it is dumb, why do I need a bigger speaker? Is it because bigger speakers are better to achieve the heavy metal tone that I want and because they handle distortion better?
Last edited by DanyFS at Apr 1, 2015,
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah, find a used Vypyr 30 they run <$100 used

I have one of these and I highly recommend it for higher gain stuff.
And look into eventually getting the Sanpera foot pedal.
Makes using the Vypyr that much better.

The Valvetronix is better for blues to hard rock.
The Vypyr is better for hard rock to metal.
(I currently have the Vypyr 30, but used to own the Valvetronix 30 watt).
Both of those in the 30 watt versions can be had used for around $100 (US).
The Vypyr has a 12 inch speaker.
The Valvetronix 30 watt only has a 10 inch speaker though, but it still sounds pretty good.
(I would suggest a speaker swap for the Vox somewhere down the road though)
Last edited by CodeMonk at Apr 1, 2015,
Thank you all of the replies guys, I'm really leaning towards the Vypyr 30 if I can find one used.

Quote by DanyFS
What about a Laney LG35R?

http://www.lismusica.pt/?product=5059

It has a 10' speaker, but I wonder about its tone and distortion sound.

Anyway, a Vox seems a good suggestion too, I'll see what I can find.

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to amps, so forgive me this question if it is dumb, why do I need a bigger speaker? Is it because bigger speakers are better to achieve the heavy metal tone that I want and because they handle distortion better?

But still, does anyone have any experience with the Laney and can anyone answer my question above?
Quote by DanyFS
Thank you all of the replies guys, I'm really leaning towards the Vypyr 30 if I can find one used.

But still, does anyone have any experience with the Laney and can anyone answer my question above?

12" speaker will handle the low end better and have better projection.
Quote by monwobobbo
12" speaker will handle the low end better and have better projection.

Ah, I see, thank you!
Quote by DanyFS

Laney makes some really nice tube amps, but their SS amps suck and I would not advise getting one.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
as a practice amp...you cant go wrong with either. Although I'd prefer a Peavey because that's the brand I'm used to..
Thanks Robb and JRSOLDJA for the replies!

I tried a Blackstar ID Core 10 at a friend's house and I loved it. If I can't find a used Vypyr 30, I think I'll buy one, the Blackstar ID Cores are running really cheap around here. But my priority for now is the Vypyr 30.