Page 1 of 2
Hey UG,

I am looking to improve my tone and with that maybe add or replace gear, but I don't really know where to start. Pickups, booster/overdrive pedals, amp etc. I can describe the issues I am having right now and sort of what I want, but not how to get there. So I hope you all can help me out a bit?

I think I can best start out with a list of what gear I own:
Ibanez RG870QMZ
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120W
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 with a SM57
Digitech RP355 (which I don't use anymore)
Epiphone: Les Paul Special II (also not in use)

The kind of music I like to play and listen too:
-Alter Bridge (Love)
-Metallica (Love)
-Rise Against
-Bullet for my Valentine
-Scorpions
-Three Days Grace

Information about Alter Bridge's sound
I really love the tone/sound Alter Bridge has, mainly Mark Tremonti influences this and he owns a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier combined with a Bogner Uberschall for his main tone. Using his signature PRS guitar and for lead:
-The mesa orange channel combined with Bogner shiva
-Morley Mark Tremonti Wah,
-T-Rex Michael Batio signature overdrive (modelled after Tubescreamer and according to him "smoother").
-T-Rex Replica delay pedal

Now what I am looking for first is a good rythem tone where I like dynamics and note definition combined with a nice chugging/palm muted sound, but whenever I try to create this I need more gain, but then I loose the dynamics and note definition. Is there a way to get both or maybe you guys can tell me how you like and setup you rythem sound?

Now my first bet is overdrive pedals, but I also have some confusion as how to properly use them as you can read below:
So I have been looking at some overdrive pedals, such as the tubescreamer clones like the Digitech Bad monkey, level max, gain min. As I understand it this will drive the pre-amp tubes some more giving you the chugging sound, while not loosing the tone you set on the amp aka the dynamics and note definition. Don't know if this is an upgrage I want to look into? There are also boost pedals and some combine this with the overdrive pedals, but don't quite understand that philosophy? They kind of use a clean amp setting and with the boost on it's rythem and with both on lead. But shouldn't you get the gain from the amp itself rather than from pedals? Or because you just push the front end of the amp you are actually using the gain of the amp after all?

Maybe my amp just has a bad gain section since it only uses one pre-amp tube? I heard/read somwhere that most good amps use multiple pre-amp tubes for gain staging and that that is what makes them sound so good. So again I think an extra gain stage in the form of an overdrive pedal should help? Or is this amp just not good enough and need to replace that piece of gear?

Or starting even more up front, the pickups. Don't know if the pickups in my Ibanez guitar, CAP-VM, are bad?

Thanks in advance!
Rik
Last edited by Psy8cho at Apr 1, 2015,
the tube in your preamp doesn't really do all that much except have the analog amp models sent thru it. yes a full tube amp (unless really low watt) use more than 1 preamp tube. high gain amps use at least 3 and often more.

not sure how well an overdrive will really work with that amp (we have a few owners here that can comment on that better). your amp has an overdrive in th fx section already.

sounds like you are using to much gain even though you feel it's not enough. loss of note clarity is usually an indicator of that.

you may want a different amp although you do need to realize that the amps you mentioned are all pretty high end so won't be easy to duplicate tone wise cheaply.
Depending how far you want to go with your playing, you might want to invest in a new amp and some stompboxes.

The first thing I'll recommend nevertheless is a physical overdrive. Something like a Tubescreamer (signature models seem to be more expensive for the name). So a TS9 will be fine. Use the TS9 to boost a chunky, thick tone on the Vypyr. Your tone should be just before ideal saturation before the boost is engaged, then ideal saturation with the TS9 on. Also, make sure you aren't scooping your mids/have a solid EQ band on the Vypyr.

That may not sound as full as you would like though. You could get an expensive Mesa/Boogie cab/head or combo, which will get you closest to what you want. But a 6505 combo will do you well.

After that, you could invest in a few stomps like delay and harmonizers. The RP series is decent for starter multis, but separate boxes will sound and work better.
Last edited by Will Lane at Mar 31, 2015,
you aren't doing too bad with the ibby and vypyr tube.

i would definitely dump the RP and Epiphone if you are looking to reallocate.

what is your budget?

i also suggest talking to 311, he has a vypyr tube and has tried a lot of things with it, i think he did like it with a TS.

a few more questions.

are you gigging?

do you need multiple tunings?

the pickups in the ibby aren't great, but i think your money could be better spend on other aspects of your rig.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
What amount of money are you willing to spend?

I like similar styles of music and guitar tones as you. Its very important that you recognize that a major part of these tones comes from layering/panning multiple guitar tracks in the recording stage. Thats not to say that you wont be able to get a close tone in general; but you probably wont be able to achieve the width, thickness and bigness that you hear from those bands, especially Bullet for my Valentine.

I wouldnt bother with pickups at all. I agree with Will that a tubescreamer is a great pedal to have. It probably wont help much with your Vyper, but if you purchase a tube amp down the road, itll work wonders.

Your budget really dictates recommended course of action. If you have little-no budget, then you should just stick with you vyper and you can use little tricks to make your current sound more enjoyable: for example, play your amp at a more moderate volume but sit closer to it with your ear right in line with the speaker/not too far away. Or use the headphone out with some flattering/excited headphones. Even low end modellers like Spiders sound pretty good to me when I play them with headphones.

If you have a budget that is, say less than $300-$500; then I would recommend buying a decent/nice audio interface. You can hook your guitar up to your computer and download shitloads of free guitar amp vsts and guitar cab impulses (Mesa, Marshall, Bogner, Engl, Peavey, all of the best stuff). Again, play through your headphones, or use some speakers you have lying around. I wish I invested in an interface earlier because the possibilities are endless. Plus you could record some of your own stuff if you wanted.

If you have a bigger budget near $1000, then you could start looking at getting a stack if you wanted. A Peavey 6505+ could get a bunch of the above tones, although it isnt incredibly versatile. The Laney Ironheart 60watt could get you many of those tones. Just make sure you have money left over for a decent cab (preferably with vintage 30s) and a tubescreamer (even a Bad Monkey will do; or look at Guitarfetish Greenie Classic)

If your budget is over $1000, then you could consider getting a Dual Rec, an Engl Powerball (original), many many more options, plus the aforementioned amps. I personally own an Engl Powerball and have no problem getting tones reminescent of those bands (granted, I use some lower gain preamp tubes like jan 5751 and jj 12at7 to help me get a wider range of sounds). There are plenty of amps in this price range that will be able to cover those tons and probably be overkill in the process
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Thnx for all the reactions! Why does everyone, including me, have the username ponyfan?

Anyway, I do intend to play for quite a while, have been playing for about 4 1/2 years, didn't always have time to play ofc, but for sure every week. I do intend to sell those two peices of gear, but they are both not worth that much, the RP355 has one broken footpedal.

As for budget, I in fact made a thread before (3 months ago) about upgrading my setup with an amp an cabinet for about 800-1000 euros. And from that I learned that amps like indeed the Laney Ironheart 60 is very versitile (looks like a good buy), Jet City 100HDM/JCA50H, Orange Dark terror head and my suggestion: Bugera TriRec Infinium. With a Harley Benton G212 Vintage cab for 200 euros.

Someone also suggested a Line 6 POD HD500X, but since my experience so far with my RP355 wasn't all that great, and since I like the idea of real amp with tubes, I didn't really consider that. Same goes for plugins on the computer, I actually own (which I forgot to mention) a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 with a SM57. So I tried those plugins ones already, but didn't really like it.

However I felt like I needed to play a little bit more first to justify that amp+cab buy. But if you guys really recommend a new amp then I will reconsider this buy. So instead, I am looking for some smaller upgrades that I can do now. And just like Watterboy said an upgrade like a TS will still be usefull after I upgrade my amp in the future. So for budget now I would say, a 100 to 200 euros? Added bonus of upgrading little parts is ofcourse that I can upgrade one thing at a time, like the bad monkey it costs only 30 euros or less.

Just want to know if upgrades like this will actually help me and I am unsure how each component will affect the tone I am looking for. That's why I opened this thread.

As for gigging, I am not doing that yet, I do want to ofc, but I really don't have enough time for that yet. Band practises however I do see in the near future.

Yes I use multiple tunings and I badly want a good second guitar with a fixed bridge for that. However that will be my last upgrade, because that is just a inconvience not a necessity.

edit:
Also I do not scoop my mids, I love my mids . I have tried all kinds of EQ on my amp though, but did not find what I was looking for. Also I do find it very hard to EQ since no matter what EQ setting you're on after a while of playing you get used to it.
i would put an amp as priority. other than the OD, the money isn't really going to make the best impact on your tone.

one question i have is that if you have just the ibby or another guitar too?

i would get a second guitar next (if you don't have one), its always nice to have a backup, and you already have a decent enough amp to get by.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I do have a second guitar as you can read in the TS, I just don't like to use it anymore. So I guess I could at least try an overdrive pedal right? What would you suggest? I have been looking at (from expensive to cheap):
-TS9 (150)
-T-rex Michael Angelo Batio overdrive (120)
-TC electronic spark booster (109)
-Overdrive GT-OD (109)
-Maxon OD808 (105)
-Boss OD-3 (100)
-MXR micro amp M133 (90)
-Boss DS-1 (50)
-Digitech Bad Monkey (30)

But I don't really get the different uses for booster vs overdrive vs distortion. I guess I do not want the latter? And when people talk about a Tubescreamer they refer to using it as a clean boost, while it is an overdrive pedal. So why not get a booster just? Or does an overdrive pedal ofer more versatility as you can also turn up the gain knob, instead of just using Level: max, Gain: min.

Also I guess I would always have that pedal on for my rythem sound? Though I hear a lot of people use it for leads?

edit:
Ah yes april fools day, that would explain it :P
You should be able to find a genuine Ibanez Tubescreamer for less than $150 USD.

How I see it, "boosts" may or may not have a clipping circuit in them. OD's like the Tubescreamer have a lot of headroom to push preamps harder. They also have a clipping circuit that helps you to further the saturation along with the volume headroom boost. You can also use the clipping circuit as a primary source of distortion if you don't want it from the amp.
Last edited by Will Lane at Apr 1, 2015,
With the clipping circuit you mean the gain knob on the Tubescreamer?
Quote by Psy8cho
I do have a second guitar as you can read in the TS, I just don't like to use it anymore. So I guess I could at least try an overdrive pedal right? What would you suggest? I have been looking at (from expensive to cheap):
-TS9 (150)
-T-rex Michael Angelo Batio overdrive (120)
-TC electronic spark booster (109)
-Overdrive GT-OD (109)
-Maxon OD808 (105)
-Boss OD-3 (100)
-MXR micro amp M133 (90)
-Boss DS-1 (50)
-Digitech Bad Monkey (30)

But I don't really get the different uses for booster vs overdrive vs distortion. I guess I do not want the latter? And when people talk about a Tubescreamer they refer to using it as a clean boost, while it is an overdrive pedal. So why not get a booster just? Or does an overdrive pedal ofer more versatility as you can also turn up the gain knob, instead of just using Level: max, Gain: min.

Also I guess I would always have that pedal on for my rythem sound? Though I hear a lot of people use it for leads?

edit:
Ah yes april fools day, that would explain it :P

i forgot about that and missed it on the post the last time going through. i would just get the bad monkey. its cheap and does the job well. and it won't set you back so much so you can save up for something better.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
No problem, I typed a lot of text

For now I will just go for the digitech bad monkey then. However my question/confusion about how to use this properly still stands:

I have googled and youtubed a lot about the subject, but have a hard time finding the right answers, maybe you guys can explain it a little bit better? A good link to some text or video explaining this some more would be helpfull as well.
Personally I think the biggest problem with your rhythm tone is the guitar. Imo I've never heard an Ibanez with a proper good heavy rhythm tone, I'm talking stuff like Metallica etc...

I don't think an OD will do too much for that amp. Better to save the money for a guitar. I would suggest a Gibson SG, Explorer or Flying V.
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Apr 2, 2015,
Quote by Psy8cho
No problem, I typed a lot of text

For now I will just go for the digitech bad monkey then. However my question/confusion about how to use this properly still stands:

I have googled and youtubed a lot about the subject, but have a hard time finding the right answers, maybe you guys can explain it a little bit better? A good link to some text or video explaining this some more would be helpfull as well.
Screamers can be used in different ways. People use the words "preamp boost" and "overdrive" interchangeably, as OD's boost the preamp if used properly. Some "preamp boosts" are clean or mostly clean, adding no grit because of a lack of a clipping circuit. Generally you'll want an OD.

If you have a 2-channel amp (clean and lead), you could have one channel set to a crisp clean. Boost with the screamer to get a bit more saturation and bite for a rhythm tone. You can also boost that channel again (with another screamer or a clean boost) for a bluesy solo tone.

For the second channel, you could have it set to just-before-saturation crunch. Use the screamer to boost that channel to ideal saturation and fullness.

Your best bet imo TS is to try out the Bad Monkey with your Vypyr and see if you can get the sounds you want. If not, you might want to upgrade your amp. I think your guitar is fine.
Last edited by Will Lane at Apr 2, 2015,
Quote by Badmotorfingers
Personally I think the biggest problem with your rhythm tone is the guitar. Imo I've never heard an Ibanez with a proper good heavy rhythm tone, I'm talking stuff like Metallica etc...

I don't think an OD will do too much for that amp. Better to save the money for a guitar. I would suggest a Gibson SG, Explorer or Flying V.

OP, ignore the above post in it's entirety. Of the 4 statements/inferences made, only 4 are incorrect. The 5th point, an anecdotal comment, isn't material.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
OP, ignore the above post in it's entirety. Of the 4 statements/inferences made, only 4 are incorrect. The 5th point, an anecdotal comment, isn't material.

Aren't you cool.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Quote by Badmotorfingers
Aren't you cool.

No.

I'm also not wrong.

There's nothing wrong with his guitar for what he wants to do, tens of thousands of people play good Rhythm licks with Ibanez guitars, the fact that you haven't seen it only serves to illustrate the limits of your personal experience.

His amp is competent to the task and takes pedals quite well, which again you would know if you had used one.

While Gibsons can of course be used for rhythm, to imply that they are in some way required is patently false.

Other than that, it's all good...

Have a nice day.
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Apr 2, 2015,
Quote by Arby911
No.

I'm also not wrong.

There's nothing wrong with his guitar for what he wants to do, tens of thousands of people play good Rhythm licks with Ibanez guitars, the fact that you haven't seen it only serves to illustrate the limits of your personal experience.

His amp is competent to the task and takes pedals quite well, which again you would know if you had used one.

While Gibsons can of course be used for rhythm, to imply that they are in some way required is patently false.

Other than that, it's all good...

Have a nice day.

There's a difference between good rhythm licks and good rhythm tone. I've played plenty of Ibanez guitars and they lack a lot of balls compared to other guitars. Good for shredding but not metal rhythm like Metallica or whatever, in terms of tone. That's my personal experience... 'tens of thousands of people' is not your personal experience.

Of course the amp is up to the task, I didn't suggest otherwise... All I meant about the pedals was it seemed like he was going to use into the amp clean for distortion when the amp can do metal tones just fine by itself.

Where exactly did I imply that Gibsons required? Once again you're just putting words into my mouth, I bet you feel smug and cool now huh? Gibsons just simply have great rhythm tone as do many other guitars....

Just because you don't like someone's else opinion doesn't mean it's wrong. Why don't you let OP decide for himself which advice he chooses to follow, it's a public forum, not your personal website.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
That's a crock of shit.

Quote by Badmotorfingers

I guess Meshuggah, Animals as Leaders, Megadeth, Steve Vai, Fear Factory, John 5, Testament and Joe Satch have weak Rhythm tones.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Apr 2, 2015,
Quote by Badmotorfingers
There's a difference between good rhythm licks and good rhythm tone. I've played plenty of Ibanez guitars and they lack a lot of balls compared to other guitars. Good for shredding but not metal rhythm like Metallica or whatever, in terms of tone. That's my personal experience... 'tens of thousands of people' is not your personal experience.

Of course the amp is up to the task, I didn't suggest otherwise... All I meant about the pedals was it seemed like he was going to use into the amp clean for distortion when the amp can do metal tones just fine by itself.

Where exactly did I imply that Gibsons required? Once again you're just putting words into my mouth, I bet you feel smug and cool now huh? Gibsons just simply have great rhythm tone as do many other guitars....

Just because you don't like someone's else opinion doesn't mean it's wrong. Why don't you let OP decide for himself which advice he chooses to follow, it's a public forum, not your personal website.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ibanez_players

So NONE of these folks have good Rhythm tone? Good to know.

As to the bolded, I agree, my personal likes or dislikes are immaterial to your 'opinion' being wrong.

FWIW, I'm done arguing the point. Your post was, at best, poorly phrased.

As I said, have a nice day.
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Apr 2, 2015,
Quote by Arby911
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ibanez_players

So NONE of these folks have good Rhythm tone? Good to know.

As to the bolded, I agree, my personal likes or dislikes are immaterial to your 'opinion' being wrong.

FWIW, I'm done arguing the point. Your post was, at best, poorly phrased.

As I said, have a nice day.

Just ignore 99% of the post
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Pretty sure most people will be ignoring you.

ignorance is bliss I guess.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Pretty sure most people will be ignoring you.

ignorance is bliss I guess.

The irony.

btw half the bands you listed barely even use ibanez. Megadeth and Testament have 0 Ibanez in the album rhythm tones. John 5 uses Teles most of the time...

Ibanez guitars tend to have a very compressed tight tone, leading a critical lack of 'balls' in the tone. Of course that's not a bad thing because not every kind of music needs that, but to say it's going to the same job as something like a way more resonant Gibson is just wrong.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
yeah sure dude. Can you explain why Ibanez guitars have very compressed tight tones? And why is that different compared to other brands? I want details please. No stupid "well I tried like 3 Ibanez guitars so its OBVS like that" conjecture.

Go on.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
yeah sure dude. Can you explain why Ibanez guitars have very compressed tight tones? And why is that different compared to other brands? I want details please. No stupid "well I tried like 3 Ibanez guitars so its OBVS like that" conjecture.

Go on.

Can you explain why they don't? I don't see you explaining anything either.

"Hurr durr I'm xxepicxx hatebreeder, I say people are wrong because they don't explain but I don't explain why I'm right hurr durr"

Why would I even ****ing both explaining myself when you're too ****ing immature to take someone else's opinion seriously.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Quote by Badmotorfingers

"Hurr durr I'm xxepicxx hatebreeder, I say people are wrong because they don't explain but I don't explain why I'm right hurr durr"

Why would I even ****ing both explaining myself when you're too ****ing immature to take someone else's opinion seriously.

Generally we support our own claims here, it's considered bad form to make a claim and then tell others to "prove you wrong".

As to maturity, the gratuitous insults don't bolster your case any.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Badmotorfingers

Except for my point isn't "Ibanez guitars have weak rhythm tones" is it? My point was that you're full of shit. My proof of you being full of shit is you not being able to prove your point.

i'm calling you out on bullshit comments and you're the one being immature. What are you doing? Calling me names because you know you're off base here?

Sorry but that's not how it works.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Badmotorfingers

Holy shit dude, good rhythm tone comes from the amp. Ibanez is primarily a shredders brand, but it can be done(Chris used Ibanez in Megadeth and Meshuggah have sig models).
I guess you're saying that because they're made of basswood and other shit like that?
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Korn has a heavy rhythm tone. Don't they?

Most everything I would have said has pretty much been said. I'll give you my .311 cents based on my direct experience. I have a Vypyr Tube 60 and a Schecter C1+

Not sure exactly what settings you use on your Vypyr but I have most every thing dialed in at about 1 o'clock on the dials (literally). I play similar stuff and like a nice tight chuggy yet wet and saturated tone - if that makes sense.

The amp takes regular analog pedals very well imo (for a modeler).

I use a Bad Monkey sometimes but I don't think the amp needs it. It does work though but a bit noisy. I don't use any boosts on the amp models.

I use the Diezel Red or Recto Red mostly, and the Twin Green with slapback for cleans.

The amp also sounds really good through external speaker cabs.

I DID put different pickups in my Schecter and I can tell you a pick up swap DOES make a difference. Big difference in my case (over the mediocre Duncan Designed stock pups).

I have use a Duncan Custom Custom and '59 bridge/neck.

Now...all that said. Does it sound as good as my Rectoverb or Splawn? No.

If you want 'what amp' help we can definitely help. I know you laid it out already (very well too BTW) but can you give us an amp only budget (including speaker cabs etc) and where you live roughly?

Note: It IS possible that you may not find anything better amp wise than what you have now....the Vypyr Tube amps are that good.

PS: The preamp tube that is there is a Phase Inverter and it feed the power tubes. Speaking of which - is it possible you need some new tubes? Do you have spares? No? Get some.

JJs
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Except for my point isn't "Ibanez guitars have weak rhythm tones" is it? My point was that you're full of shit. My proof of you being full of shit is you not being able to prove your point.

i'm calling you out on bullshit comments and you're the one being immature. What are you doing? Calling me names because you know you're off base here?

Sorry but that's not how it works.

No I'm not full of shit, I wouldn't be saying this if I didn't think it was true. Most guitars don't have really good rhythm tone, generally mahogany guitars tend to have the best rhythm tone imo. Strike an A or E on a nice resonant mahogany guitar and it's the best feel and sound, other guitars like Ibanez don't seem to carry the full volume of the lower and lower mid frequencies as well to get that ballsy sound. That's simply it, plug in a good humbucker mahogany (or similar) guitar and see how it sounds and feels, then plug in an Ibanez or whatever and see the difference. I have a theory that the finish also seems to make a big difference in this area with thicker poly finishes tending to 'choke' the guitar by stopping it from properly resonating.

But of course now you're going to say I'm full of shit because it's anecdotal evidence. I'd say you're full shit if you say that because there really is no hard evidence, what do you want me to do, explain the correlations between different guitars and tone with equations and then write a thesis about it? It's ****ing guitar tone, not science you dolt. If everyone had to prove everything they wrote here this place would have 0 posts in it.

Quote by Fryderyczek
Holy shit dude, good rhythm tone comes from the amp. Ibanez is primarily a shredders brand, but it can be done(Chris used Ibanez in Megadeth and Meshuggah have sig models).
I guess you're saying that becaue they're made of basswood and other shit like that?

The guitars are also very important for rhythm tone, how do you think slayer would sound playing strats?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Quote by Badmotorfingers
No I'm not full of shit, I wouldn't be saying this if I didn't think it was true. Most guitars don't have really good rhythm tone, generally mahogany guitars tend to have the best rhythm tone imo. Strike an A or E on a nice resonant mahogany guitar and it's the best feel and sound, other guitars like Ibanez don't seem to carry the full volume of the lower and lower mid frequencies as well to get that ballsy sound. That's simply it, plug in a good humbucker mahogany (or similar) guitar and see how it sounds and feels, then plug in an Ibanez or whatever and see the difference. I have a theory that the finish also seems to make a big difference in this area with thicker poly finishes tending to 'choke' the guitar by stopping it from properly resonating.

But of course now you're going to say I'm full of shit because it's anecdotal evidence. I'd say you're full shit if you say that because there really is no hard evidence, what do you want me to do, explain the correlations between different guitars and tone with equations and then write a thesis about it? It's ****ing guitar tone, not science you dolt. If everyone had to prove everything they wrote here this place would have 0 posts in it.

The guitars are also very important for rhythm tone, how do you think slayer would sound playing strats?

Would sound a tad different, but how would Slayer sound playing with their guitars, on a Jazz Chorus or a Twin Reverb?

Completely different.
The only thing you might need for a ballsy rhythm metal tone is humbuckers.

Oh, and I agree with hatebreed, you're full of shit.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Badmotorfingers

You know what the best part about theories are? That's all they are until proven otherwise.

Slayer would sound fine playing Strats. Iron Maiden never had a problem with it.

Quote by Fryderyczek
Oh, and I agree with hatebreed, you're full of shit.

careful he might accuse you OF BEING XXEPICNOOBXX I KNOW EVERYTHING
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Apr 2, 2015,
You got to feel cool on the internet today, have a cookie.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Quote by Badmotorfingers
You got to feel cool on the internet today, have a cookie.

Ahh, admitting defeat. Good on you hatebreed for bringing him back to human levels.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Fryderyczek
Ahh, admitting defeat. Good on you hatebreed for bringing him back to human levels.

Lol you are so mad from the 3 amp thread, no bones to pick or what...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Quote by Badmotorfingers
Lol you are so mad from the 3 amp thread, no bones to pick or what...

Not really.
Honestly, do you think somebody on the internet would make me mad?

EDIT:Honestly I think I'll leave this place soon, so I don't really give a rat's ass if you made me "mad"
Fly on, fly on
Last edited by Fryderyczek at Apr 2, 2015,
Yeah, you're not mad but you followed me into another thread and then insulted me.

Not mad at all.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Page 1 of 2