I have been playing our school's bass for about 8 months now,and i've been looking into getting my own.The price range i'm looking at is $0-$400.So far these are the bass guitars that have stood out to me.This first one is a Short-Scale Ibanez Ibanez GSRM20 Mikro Short-Scale Bass Guitar | Musician's Friend The Second is the Epiphone Thunderbird Epiphone Thunderbird IV Bass Vintage Sunburst | Musician's Friend and the third is the Squier Affinity Precision http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-affinity-series-precision-bass-pj-rosewood-fingerboard

I'm looking for a guitar that can be loud and noticeable with a loud pepband playing around it.That Ibanez I've seen pretty good reviews on,but a lot about it not staying in tune,plus strings cost more than regular ones (from what I've seen).The Thunderbird looks cool (I know look isn't everything,but I want to be seen by people.That Squier is the same price as the Ibanez,and I like it because down the line if I want to parts are easy to change out.So what do you guys think?
Go with the bass that suits you best. Try them, see which one feels the most comfortable when you hold them. I'd go for the Thunderbird but thats my personal favorite.
No
If I were you, i'll go with the Squier. Because you can't go wrong with a P bass!
Quote by rimmry
If I were you, i'll go with the Squier. Because you can't go wrong with a P bass!

Correct, you can't go wrong with a P. But those Squier Affinity Basses are not the best built basses ever. For $400 you could find a used Fender P-Bass.
No
"Bass"icaly (pardon the pun) it really depends on your budget, if you're willing to spend up to $500 or £500 then I'd say the Epiphone Thunderbird IV Pro is a great starter bass but I'd say any Epiphone really I started on them now I'm doing a tour of the UK with the same starter bass I got as it has lasted a long time, I mainly buy epiphones!
Quote by It'sJimHerald

I'm looking for a guitar that can be loud and noticeable with a loud pepband playing around it.That Ibanez I've seen pretty good reviews on,but a lot about it not staying in tune,plus strings cost more than regular ones (from what I've seen).The Thunderbird looks cool (I know look isn't everything,but I want to be seen by people.That Squier is the same price as the Ibanez,and I like it because down the line if I want to parts are easy to change out.So what do you guys think?

I'd suggest against getting the Thunderbird; YOU see the "look" of the guitar more than other people do (more below on that). I'd stay away from short scale basses unless you really have small hands (girls WILL notice if you've got small hands and feet... ). The guitar will have very little to do with your cool factor or "noticeability." Start moving with the guitar and you'll be noticed (and if you're a complete spaz, that's not a good thing <G>, so put your phone on a tripod and practice your moves).

I'd suggest something with Precision or J-bass pickups (or a decent P&J setup) as a beginner bass.

My first bass is/was a Fender Squier Skull bass. No, seriously, it's black with a skull and crossbones graphic and 12-fret inlay:

Pulled it off a used wall at a Guitar Denter in perfect condition for around $100. And yes, it looks a bit silly (leftover from the Pirates thing a couple of years ago) to me. But it's a full-scale 34" guitar with both a P and J pickup, volume/tone/blend knob and it really plays well and sounds good. I took it to church and the little old ladies thought it was cute and ironic. One thought the skull looked a bit "chipmunk-y." At this point I don't care and I barely get a glance when I pull it out.

FWIW, my second bass was/is a bright Ferrari red 1989 Carvin LB75 neck-through. Five-string, active pickups, Jackson-esque inline headstock, ebony fretboard, real MOP block inlays and the guy who got rid of it was a bow-tie wearing elbow-patches-on-his-tweed-jacket horn-rim-glasses-face jazz type who thought it was a bit too rock and roll and who wanted something more "wood-y."

Loud? That's a function of the bass amplification setup you pick, not so much the guitar.
I dunno...a Used Ibanes BTB400 in a sunburst?

That should spoil you for the rest of your life. Until, you discover the 5th and 6th Strings.
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
I dunno...a Used Ibanes BTB400 in a sunburst?

That should spoil you for the rest of your life. Until, you discover the 5th and 6th Strings.

One in Lubbock Texas on ebay 499 OBO
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
I'm just starting out too. I just ordered a Yamaha TRBX304 4-string (candy apple red). It should be here within a week.
Can't beat a Yamaha rbx270 or a Sterling by Musicman SUB Ray34. Great entry level basses
I want '61 Jazz Bass!
I've had :-
2x !963 Burns 6 string basses
1965 Fender Jazz
Mexican Precision
Stingray V
G&L L2500 tribute
G&L L2500
Mexican Jazz Bass

All sold, I currently use a £219 far eastern Fender Jazz Bass and a £291 Squier VI.
In many cases you pay as in speaker cabinets for the name on the front.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn