Hello. I have a home demo single that has been minimally mixed (Studio One 2) for the purpose of converting it to copyright. The music is heavy metal and the lyrics are rap. I still want to have it (semi)professionally mixed and mastered. I'm on a limited budget and I don't know who does this kind of work. Presumably there are mixers out there. I just don't know where to begin. Any suggestions.
If it's cool with you, I'd mix/master it for free. I use the iZotope Ozone mastering system for mastering and Waves plugins for mixing, if that means anything to you haha. I got legit studio monitors, et cetera.

PM me if you're interested.
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
Mixing and mastering should not be done by the same person. Otherwise it's just a longer process of mixing, made a bit louder
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Mixing and mastering should not be done by the same person. Otherwise it's just a longer process of mixing, made a bit louder

It's not a question of one or two people. It's finding someone who has the know-how to improve a heavy metal/rap song recorded on Studio One 2 and is affordable. Hope that helps. Thanks.
Although I still need more information, I'm already finding people who are interested in mixing my song (and the quotes are halfway reasonable). Now that it's copyrighted, do you think it's safe to just send these people my song or upload it to a cloud? Also, if I want to go with someone, should I demand a contract that says that I am 100% owner of the mix? Thanks for the tips.
Quote by selftaught1000
Although I still need more information, I'm already finding people who are interested in mixing my song (and the quotes are halfway reasonable). Now that it's copyrighted, do you think it's safe to just send these people my song or upload it to a cloud? Also, if I want to go with someone, should I demand a contract that says that I am 100% owner of the mix? Thanks for the tips.

While you have it copy written, I would still be careful who you send it to. Not overly careful, but I wouldn't send it out willy-nilly. Just me being anal about it.

Personally, I wouldn't write up a contract specifically for that purpose. If you already are writing a contract for amount paid and all that good stuff, definitely include it. However, people aren't really going to claim the recording as their own. You hired them to do you a service, they did it, and now it's yours.

Also, I wouldn't 'demand.' That starts you off on the wrong foot. Suggest or just send a contract, but don't demand.

EDIT: I do recommend writing a contract. Just not for the sole purpose of ownership.
Last edited by chaosmoon at Mar 31, 2015,
If your only purpose for the recording is to send it with the copy write registration quality is not an issue. No one at the copyright office will be listening to it, the recording is just filed away along with your dated copyright form in case you have to prove ownership at some later time. On the other hand it seems several people have offered their services for free so you have nothing to lose by sending them a mix and see how you like it. I use T-Racks Mastering Suite and if it still applies, you can get a 10 day free download (with no restrictions) at www.ikmultimedia.com/t-racks . It has a lot of easy presets for people with no mastering experience and lots of good VST's for those with experience or those who want to learn to master. Good luck.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by Rickholly74
If your only purpose for the recording is to send it with the copy write registration quality is not an issue. No one at the copyright office will be listening to it, the recording is just filed away along with your dated copyright form in case you have to prove ownership at some later time. On the other hand it seems several people have offered their services for free so you have nothing to lose by sending them a mix and see how you like it. I use T-Racks Mastering Suite and if it still applies, you can get a 10 day free download (with no restrictions) at www.ikmultimedia.com/t-racks . It has a lot of easy presets for people with no mastering experience and lots of good VST's for those with experience or those who want to learn to master. Good luck.

I believe he's already got the copyright taken care of. He did his own mix for that, and now wants someone else to mix it.
Quote by selftaught1000
Why is everyone's username in this thread showing up as "PonyFan" with a pony avatar?

Anonymous hacked UG.

It's an April Fool's joke
In my opinion, the author's idea is advisable.I will make advertisement freely for your post,recommend it to my frields.But you can also click here for read.

Adbt post; link removed, DG
Quote by diabolical
I'm sure you'll find out bunch of local studios in your town directory, ask for audio samples and pick one you like.

Are you saying I should just use the phone book?
There used to be an industry book with all studios nationally that gets published but I don't have access to mine, but try:

http://recordproduction.com/usa_studios.htm

http://m.studioreferral.com/?smallView=1

Or check with local musician sites.

For example I can recommend you Brian Baker at Sound Arts Houston for mastering. I've used to send to him and know quite a few bands that have and he does a fantastic job. I'm sure you can find out someone local or you can probably even mail your project files to a facility. Personally, I like to be close or present for some of the mastering and mixing.
Want mix and mastering service from someone with major industry credits? Send it to this guy:

http://www.blueribbonstudios.com/

He is reasonable and you have already heard a bunch of tracks he mixed in film, TV, radio etc.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY