I use DR electric strings (NOT glow in the dark ) and my bandmate, another guitarist, uses Ernie Ball super slinkies. I was just wondering what the pros and cons of both strings are and any recommendations/considerations people had concerning these two types of strings. Let me know, thanks
buy a few packs and let us know.

seriously they are personal preference.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Yeah, what Trashed said....

I used Ernie balls for a while, and they're still one of my favorites, but I switched to D'addario's because they are cheaper, seem to last way longer for me, and still feel/sound good. I can only remember tryinbg DR's once, and I don't think I really liked them.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Both of youse need to switch to D'Addario and get it over with.

Honestly, both brands are fine. Change them often, keep them clean, you're good. After all you need variety in the band so stick to your brand, it is also part of your sound to a degree.

I used Dean Markley for a while and before that played with EB and D'Addario interchangeably depending on which was cheaper. Considering that I did quite a few shows they ended up being changed weekly. Didn't see any difference otherwise.

Maybe DM were just a little thicker and harder to bend but didn't really last longer as the ad said and I don't think it justified the price difference. They also corroded faster, maybe due to reaction of the metal to sweat, but the others didn't seem to corrode as fast and I cleaned all about the same.

About a month both EB and D'Addario were about the same, DM were a bit more corroded so didn't sound as clear. I broke EB's 1st strings more live due to a problem to the saddle, I don't think the strings. I flirted with SIT and they were worse than all 3 brands, losing tone faster and corroding faster than anything. I used GHS also for a bit and broke quite a few of them, won't go back to that brand. All the ones I am referring is the regular set of 10s.

That's the reason why I never trust artist endorsements - they play shows and restring their main guitars before every show, just read any interview with their techs. So if you're a touring big name band, that means daily. Then you see some of these dudes saying: "I use brand X, it last longer"...BS!!!

Buy in bulk and change every month at least - you'd probably be happy with both brands.
Last edited by diabolical at Mar 31, 2015,
i use d'addarios because they are cheap. they are the only .11's that come in a 10 pack for a good price. they last four months (keep in mind i play about five different guitars regularly), but i don't have very sweaty hands.

i have grown to like GHS actually. they aren't as cheap, but thats what i use at church (i play guitar and amp tech there) and they are pretty nice. however i restring every guitar every other week, so i haven't had the experience of their durability.

i hated the DR's i had. i had the regular ones once, and black coated ones when i was like 15. they were terrible, especially the coated ones.

its personal preference see what works for you.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
it's all personal preference. I use EBs, as I find they sound the best and last longer for me.

i've tried tons, and always come back to EBs
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Markleys for me. Always. Started using them in the 80's and still do. Got a couple of sets of DR glow things on a couple of guitars, I got em as a present last year and they suck. If I'm desperate I throw EB's on but swap em off as soon as I can. Have never broken a Dean Markley string, Ever and I'm 9-42 exclusively. Last longer with me tonally than any others, maybe they like my sweat. lol. I find D'Addario have actually started to oxidise and even show visible rust before I have even finished winding them on the guitar. Maybe they don't like my sweat.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
In my experience, more people I've talked to have said they acid-sweat through Ernie Ball strings in just a week or two than with any other string brand, but some people get on with EBs fine for as long as with any other string brand. I've also met a guy who says he gets through EB strings ridiculously quickly but uses them anyway because he reckons they sound better. It varies a huge amount from person to person.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
^ I have the issue mentioned above with EB strings. I tried DRs once and they sounded flat and dull to me (granted they were the coated black beauties but whatever).

I use D'Addario exclusively now. Order up some custom sets and I'm good. Plus I go to school literally around the corner from their HQ
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I used Ernie Ball, they sound good but tend to sound tinny pretty shortly after using them a bit. I used to use DR exclusively for years, then they switched stuff up and I started having problems getting strings intonated that I can't really explain other than a bad string in every pack.

Switched to Dunlop 10-52 and I'm all the better for it. Some of the best strings I've had although I still think DR beats them as far as tone.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Last edited by RCA1186 at Apr 1, 2015,
I generally use Ernie Ball Slinky 10's (bulk pack 12 sets for $43.00 that's $3.58 a set) but I recently bought a batch of cheap no-name brand strings from Musicians Friend (Musicians Gear $2.29 a set) and they really sound decent on my Les Paul and Tele. I haven't been using them long but at those prices I can change strings more often and I they seem to sound almost the same as Ernie Balls. Only time will tell.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
I hate d'Addario.

Anytime I get a new guitar that has them on them, I rip them off and replace them instantly. Actually, they're the only string maker that I don't really like - Personally, I'm most partial to GHS and Ernie Ball, though. I don't really play light strings, but my dad is a huge fan of them and he won't play anything other than Super Slinkies.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I hate d'Addario.

Anytime I get a new guitar that has them on them, I rip them off and replace them instantly. Actually, they're the only string maker that I don't really like - Personally, I'm most partial to GHS and Ernie Ball, though. I don't really play light strings, but my dad is a huge fan of them and he won't play anything other than Super Slinkies.

Did you actually just post in a 'what strings' thread?

Oh how the mighty have fallen...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Rickholly74
How did we all become "PonyFan"?

Just lucky I guess!!

Also, consider the date...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
i almost always use the Ernie Ball strings (buy them in the blammo box to save money). But as most said, it is personal preference. i Have never used a set of strings that i absolutely hated or failed in any way. The only thing i normally notice is the gauge not the make.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Honestly I couldn't tell the difference between any 2 brands of strings until I tried Cleartone. A bit pricey but made a noticeable change in the tone of my guitar and the way I play. I'd give them a shot at least once.
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
Quote by Arby911
Did you actually just post in a 'what strings' thread?

Oh how the mighty have fallen...

Yeah, I'm bored and don't want to do work
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
DR make some great drop D tuning strings.

However I use EB because I also tune elsewhere.

If I was to have a metal guitar for drop tuning, DR strings are a good option.

I don't like standard EB and prefer more beefy EB on my guitar or the top string sounds too lite.
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. TS9, DD3, GE7, NS2, LS2, Polytune mini, Small Stone. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!
EB and daddarrios are mostly available around me in the guages i use. so rarely do i pick DR. however, nothing against them.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Ernie Ball Regular Slinkies are the best strings ever, I'll frickin' fist fight anyone who says otherwise! (JK, I'm a wuss)

I've got GHS Boomer 12's on my Mustang right now. I wanted to try a heavier string with the 24" scale neck and that was the only 12's they had at the lil shop around the corner from me. I think I like the tightness of the heavier gauge but I doubt I'll ever buy GHS again. It could be the gauge change, but GHS is underwhelming everytime I've tried 'em. I'm fine with D'Addario, but I prefer Ernie Ball.

I once heard that Ernie Balls are simply rebranded D'Addario strings with a different...uh...end...thing, you know, the colored nubs on D'Addarios. The guy coulda been making it up for all I know.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20