Hey y'alls! I've been playing around with an alternate tuning for the past couple days. I've gotten into the habit of tuning my guitars down a half-step, but yesterday I tuned my D# string up a step to F, (by tuning the third fret of the D# to match the sound of the open G#).

I'm kinda diggin' some of the sounds I've been getting out of it and stumbled onto a couple good sounding riffs, but I'm wondering...Does anyone know of any bands or artists that do this, or any songs that are played in that tuning? (Even if it's in standard with the E tuned up to F#).

All of the Smiths' songs are a step up from standard. Placebo uses something similar. Bands like Sonic Youth and My Bloody Valentine literally just tuned the strings to whatever sounded good to them.
Cry yourself to ash
What he's talking about is tuning the low string up a step compared to *whatever* standard, like F# A D G B e.

I've never heard of a tuning like this.
Quote by The4thHorsemen
What he's talking about is tuning the low string up a step compared to *whatever* standard, like F# A D G B e.

I've never heard of a tuning like this.

Johnny Marr
Thurston Moore
Joni Mitchell
Paul Westerberg
Brian Molko
Kevin Shields
Cry yourself to ash
oh, when you said "just tuned the strings to whatever sounded good to them." you were talking about "strings" individually, not as a group. I've never listened to any of those, except I might have heard a sonic youth song before.