Hi everyone

I'm quite knew to changing strings on a guitar with a tremolo bridge.

In the process I had the honour to discover the pleasures of having the strings pop out of their saddles as I tune the guitar, which is incredibly frustrating.

Today I was changing the strings and I was so close to having the guitar all tuned and good to go. Then I cranked a bit one of the tuning keys cause a string had gone out of tune and then BOOM not one but three strings in a row popped out of their sadles!! It happened a couple other times after that but one string at a time.

Anything that I should know to avoid that??

It seems that my guitar developped an other bow because (I think) it went through too much tension changes (since the strings kept popping out and I had to perpetually put them back on and **** with the tension.) Some of you might remember the other thread I created here a couple months ago. Well it's the same issue that came back.

This guitar very recently had a tune up done and now it's going back to the hospital
Guitars don't just experience bow in their necks because the strings came off the guitar a few times.

The problems are either that you aren't putting the string inside the saddle block deeply enough, you're not tightening the blocks down enough, or there's something obstructing the blocks from clamping down on the strings. There might also be something like grease or dirt that's causing the strings to slip out more easily. Remove the saddle blocks, clean them and try again.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Thanks for your input,

I made sure I was tightening the blocks enough, so it was probably because the strings weren't sitting deep enough inside or dirt like you said, didn't think of that.

As for the bow thing uhmm, I brought the guit to the shop last month because of a "double note" issues on some frets and a guy there told me that the guitar had a bow. It might be unrelated though, well that's how I understood it anyway.

So they fixed it and that problem was gone, now I hear the same thing only since I changed the strings. String gauge is the same and the guitar stayed in the same room with no abrupt humidity/temperature changes, it was kept straight on a stand. I don't what I could have done specifically that causes this but it sure is annoying as hell.
Last edited by solarwills at Apr 1, 2015,
It just doesn't seem to make much sense to me because tension is taken off the neck when the strings come off, not put on it. I can see how it can cause potential harm if the strings are taken off the guitar for a very long period of time, the guitar is left in a poor environment, and the truss rod is cranked in, forcing the neck into a backbow. But guitars with Floyd Rose bridges experience having all the tension being taken off the neck all at once all the time when the bar is dived. And it isn't like the neck isn't under any tension when the strings break over a long period of time. You just feed the strings back into the blocks thereafter.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Point taken.. I see what you mean.

Anyways, I'll go see a professional luthier so that I can get an explanation on what is causing this double note problem. The other guy I saw seemed a bit unqualified to me and I didn't even speak to the actual person that fixed the guitar so I don't know what was done to fix it or what was the real problem in the first place.

In the meanwhile if someone has an opinion concerning the double-note/overtone issue, I'd be interested to hear it. Here is the original thread

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1670118
Any issue you have with a particular fret on a particular string is almost always caused by a high fret. So take it to a tech to get it levelled.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee