I hope someone out there can help…I have been studying guitar makes for months online and am now a bit overwhelmed with choices...

I recently learned that my guild guitar is no longer playable due to an accident that occurred while movers where shipping it to me in my new location....I am now guitar-less and looking for a new one.

At this stage, I wish to only consider a Taylor or Martin. I had owned a Martin HD 28 and now look for those bass, projection and mid tone qualities in whatever I end up with (prefer a low profile neck). A few months back I had also had the pleasure of playing a Taylor 816CE and 516 and enjoyed them both. The neck profile was comfortable, had a great bass and balanced mid tones—and was fairly easy to play.

The interesting part---I live in a country where I do not have access to play my new purchase—I can order online and it would be shipped to me,...and I can only choose based on what I have read and seen on U Tube and based on what you all wish to share. My absolute top end budget is $2,400 USD.

Is there anyone out there that can give some comments that may offer me a bit of clarity and direction?

Thank you
In your situation I would go with the Taylor. You like the field and sound, and my experience is that they are less variable tonally between individual guitars than Martin. A very important consideration for me is that they have a fully bolt-on neck that can be easily and cheaply reset if the guitar's geometry deteriorates. - You aren't relying on warranties and the skills of local repairers as you would be with a Martin.

FWIW, my favourite Taylors are the cheap Mexis, the basic 200 series.
thanks again Tony..

with that said, do you have a recommendation on what series to look at? With my budget, I cannot get into the better woods at the 6, 7 or 8 series level...so it looks like I am stuck in the 4 or 5 series. at that range, whats the best value for money?
That's a hard call, because tonal preferences are a personal thing and, IMO, in no way related to price in factory guitars. Of the ones I've tried, the relatively inexpensive 200 series have been my favourites. Second choice would likely go to the 300 (sapele) series or the all-mahogany 500s. The GA size is popular, and I've like them, so some I would be looking at are the 214 (my favourite), the 314 and the 524. The mahogany choice is based on my liking for the all-mahogany version of the GS Mini, it just sounded a bit too small for my tastes.

HTH, but please don't blame me if you aren't happy with the outcome, as I said, tonal preference is a very personal thing.
thank you Tony...I can research those you have mentioned a bit more extensively..

I really appreciate your feedback..
Quote by robertsam1
. . . . . . A few months back I had also had the pleasure of playing a Taylor 816CE and 516 and enjoyed them both. The neck profile was comfortable, had a great bass and balanced mid tones—and was fairly easy to play. . . . .

Hello

If you like Taylor guitars you might consider trying a Crafter. These are very very good quality guitars that look like Taylors, sound like Taylors and play like like Taylors. . . . but, spec for spec, are about 1/3rd of the price.

Look at these:

http://crafterusa.com/guitar/gae-6/

http://crafterusa.com/guitar/glxe-3000-sk/

PS. The Crafter GLXE3000 is a wonderful thing.
Hello...

thank you for the advice...will have a look at crafters...really appreciate the assistance!!
Quote by Garthman
Hello

If you like Taylor guitars you might consider trying a Crafter. These are very very good quality guitars that look like Taylors, sound like Taylors and play like like Taylors. . . . but, spec for spec, are about 1/3rd of the price.

Look at these:

http://crafterusa.com/guitar/gae-6/

http://crafterusa.com/guitar/glxe-3000-sk/

PS. The Crafter GLXE3000 is a wonderful thing.

I agree. I just changed guitars after 38 years when my old guitar started to go. I tried all the classic name brands and finally settled on a Crafter glxe-3000. This is a lovely instrument that suits my style. I play mostly finger style and gig with the guitar through my PA (which runs in stereo through a couple of JBL315s). The dual pickup system of the Crafter delivers a sweet acoustic sound through the PA that I enhance with a touch of slow stereo chorus. Unplugged it has a lovely rich sound; full but not too thick for finger style and well balanced.
Last edited by EuanGMason at Aug 22, 2015,