Page 1 of 37

Since the politics thread seems pretty dead/Americanised/full of gonzaw I figured a topic as big as the UK general election deserves its own topic. So hello, this is a thread for sharing your election thoughts, polls, gaffes, and for live postings on the exciting leaders debates.

The Election:

The election will be on Thursday May 7th 2015 and you can register to vote here. The deadline for voter registration is Monday, April 20th.

Debates:

Here is the live schedule of debates you can watch on TV/online so you can have a better idea of who to vote for/partake in the theatrics.

26 March: Live question and answer programme on Channel 4 and Sky News featuring David Cameron and Ed Miliband separately, presented by Jeremy Paxman and Kay Burley. This is done, but check the link here to watch it again.

2 April: Debate with seven party leaders on ITV, moderated by Julie Etchingham

16 April: Debate between five opposition party leaders on the BBC, moderated by David Dimbleby

30 April: BBC Question Time programme with David Cameron, Ed Miliband and Nick Clegg, presented by David Dimbleby

Who to vote for?

If you'd like to vote but don't know who represents your interests best, you can go on this handy website, Vote for Policies and choose which policies are most important to you, which could be really useful if you're the kind of person who is very unsure.

Have fun and happy voting

GO AND VOTE TODAY YOU SHITHEADS

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Last edited by EndTheRapture51 at May 7, 2015,
mug
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Joshua Garcia for next UG President?
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by metal4eva_22
No, no, Orson for next President.

orson welles?

i'm pretty sure he's dead
we should have a UG parliament with parties and shit.

like the skinny emo ass eaters could be a party, and we'd nominate a PM if we get the most votes.

after the election the UG parliament would probably just be a place for banter and/or feuding.
Quote by metal4eva_22
No, no, Orson for next President.
What's Orson got that I don't got?

Tell you what, you vote for me and I'll fap it up to Twilight Sparkle.

I bet your 'Orson' isn't willing to do that for you. But I am.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by MH400
UKIP.

Call me whatever you want, but it won't change my mind.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
> election thread
> no poll

Wtf op is a scrub

Voting Green though.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Quote by Nero Galon
> election thread
> no poll

Wtf op is a scrub

Voting Green though.

I'm looking forward to seeing the big debate tonight because the Greens will either do quite well or get absolutely ripped apart

Don't really agree with the Nationalist parties in the debate though. Don't give a shit what Plaid Cmylryhyryhlwlw or the SNP say.

Conservative.

Although it makes no difference really because I can't see a landslide winner and if I'm right in thinking the SNP will win most the seats in Scotland, it's going to be another coalition government. Which means it'll be a SNP / labour government, and that idea for four years is absolutely god awful.

Edit: poll pls. Also the BBC have a decent piece on what each party is doing, the Green party largely is crap.
Manchester United
Last edited by Shabalaba at Apr 2, 2015,
Quote by slipknot5678
we should have a UG parliament with parties and shit.

like the skinny emo ass eaters could be a party, and we'd nominate a PM if we get the most votes.

after the election the UG parliament would probably just be a place for banter and/or feuding.

Vote Bear Party! If we all work together, I know we can make this place a true utopia with bears for everyone!
Quote by Shabalaba
Conservative.

Although it makes no difference really because I can't see a landslide winner and if I'm right in thinking the SNP will win most the seats in Scotland, it's going to be another coalition government. Which means it'll be a SNP / labour government, and that idea for four years is absolutely god awful.

Edit: poll pls. Also the BBC have a decent piece on what each party is doing, the Green party largely is crap.

The Green party is awful. I was going to vote for them until I read some of their policies which are LOL. For a party that claims to be influenced by science they reeeeeaaally seem to hate it.

Also how do you add a poll to the thread now? I didn't really want to add one because peoples opinions change throughout the course of the campaign.

Last edited by EndTheRapture51 at Apr 2, 2015,
I'll probably wind up voting Monster Raving Loony since all the other options are looking pretty terrible.
I have nothing important to say
My prediction of ho it will go down tonight.

Cons will be like oh we're going to finish the job labour will ruin it. cmon guys be smart now.

Labour will be like, people are not feeling it, we will make you feel it, we've made mistakes but baby we can make it better togetherrrrrr.

Lib dems will be like hey guys were still here remember and everyone will look at them with evils.

SNP will be you can take our lives but you can never take our freeeeeeeedommmmmm

Plaid Cymru will be like, pfft cmon now, make Wales ready to leave the uk we're clearly better than everyone else woo patriotism.

Greens will be there like, yeah I'm not getting a word in this because Natalie Bennett is too quiet.

UKIP will be like, EUEUEUEUEUEUEUEUEUEUEUEUEUE btw still not racist, who wants a pint with me in the pub after?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
The Green party is awful. I was going to vote for them until I read some of their policies which are LOL. For a party that claims to be influenced by science they reeeeeaaally seem to hate it.

Also how do you add a poll to the thread now? I didn't really want to add one because peoples opinions change throughout the course of the campaign.

Most people know already who they are going to vote for .

The green party just seem really naive and won't have any real influence. The lib dems aren't winning anything. So it's going to come down UKIP, SNP, labour and the conservatives. So I can see a coalition being formed between the parties you'd expect to, and then it just comes down to whoever has the biggest majority.
Manchester United
I think Greens are too radical for their own good. Like wanting to abolish horse racing and stuff which is good I believe but to many shit like that is engraved in tradition.

Same with their crime policies about making drugs a health issue not a crime issue and prostitution a social issue. Majority of people are still stuck in thinking oh well that doesn't really affect me so let's let those bad people rot for their sins.

Quote by metal4eva_22
Quote by Shabalaba
Most people know already who they are going to vote for .

The green party just seem really naive and won't have any real influence. The lib dems aren't winning anything. So it's going to come down UKIP, SNP, labour and the conservatives. So I can see a coalition being formed between the parties you'd expect to, and then it just comes down to whoever has the biggest majority.

I can see a centre left alliance between Labour, Lib Dem and SNP to get a majority of the seats happening. Which would be alright, way better than anyone having to do a deal with UKIP. Keep Farage away from power at all costs.

Quote by Nero Galon
I think Greens are too radical for their own good. Like wanting to abolish horse racing and stuff which is good I believe but to many shit like that is engraved in tradition.

Same with their crime policies about making drugs a health issue not a crime issue and prostitution a social issue. Majority of people are still stuck in thinking oh well that doesn't really affect me so let's let those bad people rot for their sins.

I'm opposed to Greens because they have some stupid policies like getting rid of animal testing and nuclear power. Nuclear power isn't bad for one, and animal testing for drugs is 100% fine by me. Effectively banning these two sectors would destroy so many jobs in the UK and many companies would be driven away.

They're like if Tumblr decided to form a politic party.

I'm voting labour because:

- I hate tory attitudes and David Cameron's shiny potato face especially
- Ed seems like a pretty solid guy if you look past the media continually shitting on him and I prefer a PM who can likely do the job well over being the most charismatic. Feel the same way about minsters too for that matter. Also I'm cool with north london posh boys.
- Locally, our labour councillors seem to the be only politicians who do anything when the tory council tries to do some stupid money grabbing shit, like closing libraries/schools (to be redeveloped as premium private flats) or that whole Pinkham way waste centre bullshit. They've built up a bit of goodwill from me because of all that, but it's hard to say if they are only like that because they have been the local opposition here for so long.

It's not really ideal party for me, cause I have issues with the general state of politics here but it's just lesser of two evils. Between labour and con, the policies don't really matter hugely but I find a more often it's the conservative policies that really piss me off.

Voting Green as 2nd choice. Some of their policies regarding economics and such have always been more in line with how I feel but they go a bit too far lately regarding other issues.

Quote by EndTheRapture51

they were better in previous years, being imo the most supportive of science but lately they've backed off that in order to appeal to some kind of more radical eco-warrior types. Since their focus was on the environment, their policies outside of that were quite sensible things that no one could disagree with because they didn't have any vested interests or specific left/right leanings to adhere to there.

Quote by metal4eva_22
Orson 2015!

prepare for the rule of anarcho-syndicalism
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
I can't wait for Based Dave to wipe the floor with these scrubs tonight.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Who to vote for?

If you'd like to vote but don't know who represents your interests best, you can go on this handy website, Vote for Policies and choose which policies are most important to you, which could be really useful if you're the kind of person who is very unsure.

also the "national results" on this link is a bit sad, labour first, greens a close second. cons all the way in 5th behind lib dems and ukip, lol. but people will just vote based on old allegiances and which leader they like, rather than policies.

In the past when I took similar tests, green would come out high after labour, even first on occasions, now it's :

Labour 60%, Liberal Democrats 30%, Green Party 10%

just shows how dumb greens have become for me. that or labour has gotten better from being the opposition and has the luxury of just saying cons are doing everything wrong and so being able to put forward things that might not work in practise.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
oh wow the labour candidate for our area is only 22:

http://www.times-series.co.uk/news/10984241.Labour_pick_Amy_Trevethan_as_Chipping_Barnet_MP_candidate/

Don't know how I feel about this, lol. I mean, it probably won't matter much seeing as the area has been Conservative held since forever but still.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by theguitarist
oh wow the labour candidate for our area is only 22:

http://www.times-series.co.uk/news/10984241.Labour_pick_Amy_Trevethan_as_Chipping_Barnet_MP_candidate/

Don't know how I feel about this, lol. I mean, it probably won't matter much seeing as the area has been Conservative held since forever but still.

Same as mine, except he's 26. Seems to have been in a similar situation to me after I left University so I'm gonna vote for him cos he understands my plight. Area is Tory anyway, but no way am I voting for my rubbish MP. Just checked his voting record. Dunno why anyone would want a twat with this record representing them?

Quote by theguitarist
also the "national results" on this link is a bit sad, labour first, greens a close second. cons all the way in 5th behind lib dems and ukip, lol. but people will just vote based on old allegiances and which leader they like, rather than policies.

In the past when I took similar tests, green would come out high after labour, even first on occasions, now it's :

Labour 60%, Liberal Democrats 30%, Green Party 10%

just shows how dumb greens have become for me. that or labour has gotten better from being the opposition and has the luxury of just saying cons are doing everything wrong and so being able to put forward things that might not work in practise.

Honestly I doubt that many people at all really actually spend that much time looking into politics. Mainstream voters make up their mind from the small amounts they see or hear from tv and radio still and the few actually take the time to actually look into what parties are actually proposing on whole.

Also that survey basically just works based on whose list of policies you favoured to gain 10% favour. And some of the parties policies do overlap at times. Surveys like those are ok if you're doing a quick job of finding a good start on who to look into further, but the best way is to go to the parties policies on their website. Greens have a **** ton of policies and the way they're presented isn't pretty. Can understand why people go nah TL;DR.

Quote by metal4eva_22
Omfg **** that MP haha, almost like a complete stereotype.

Quote by metal4eva_22
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Same as mine, except he's 26. Seems to have been in a similar situation to me after I left University so I'm gonna vote for him cos he understands my plight. Area is Tory anyway, but no way am I voting for my rubbish MP. Just checked his voting record. Dunno why anyone would want a twat with this record representing them?

this is norfolk
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Apr 2, 2015,
Quote by slipknot5678
this is norfolk

This is Essex actually

Just emailed my MP asking why I should vote for him when he clearly doesn't have anyones interests at heart when voting #sickburn

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Green.

We should hang out buddy.

Edit: If UKIP have any real influence. I'm moving to Scotland.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Last edited by Fisheth24 at Apr 2, 2015,
Quote by EndTheRapture51
This is Essex actually

wtf when did you move?

is there a drought in essex now?
Quote by slipknot5678
wtf when did you move?

is there a drought in essex now?

End of August, finished Uni so moved back to my homeland

Don't start that drought shit again