I've been wanting to take up bass for a while, and I can finally get one. I've been looking around the internet trying to find a decent one for under $200. All of the websites I've been to show cheap basses as under $500, but I don't have that much. There was a Squier Bronce bass that I found at my local instrument store, but I wasn't sure if it would be a good bass for the low price. (link: http://www.amazon.com/Squier-Fender-Bronco-Bass-Black/dp/B0002F75P6/ref=sr_1_6?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1427988068&sr=1-6&keywords=Squier+bass ) I would never buy one off of the internet, but I live by a guitar center & music and arts, so I could always have one shipped in.

Recommendations for a cheap amp would also really help. (under $50 preferable, but I could do up to $75)

Thank you!
I wouldn't go with the Squier Bronco if I were you. But instead look into basses from Ibanez, the're not that expensive (a lot of basses cost less than $200) and the quality is just fine.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_6/176-3328989-9418040?url=search-alias%3Dmi&field-keywords=ibanez%20bass&sprefix=Ibanez%2Cmi%2C363

Amps under $75
http://www.amazon.com/Samson-Technologies-HMB20-Watt-Bass/dp/B0002D0K7S/ref=sr_1_27?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1427988614&sr=1-27&keywords=Bass+amp

Won't get you a lot of volume, but there are enough second hand amps out there.
No
Quote by gijserr
I wouldn't go with the Squier Bronco if I were you. But instead look into basses from Ibanez, the're not that expensive (a lot of basses cost less than $200) and the quality is just fine.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_6/176-3328989-9418040?url=search-alias%3Dmi&field-keywords=ibanez%20bass&sprefix=Ibanez%2Cmi%2C363

Amps under $75
http://www.amazon.com/Samson-Technologies-HMB20-Watt-Bass/dp/B0002D0K7S/ref=sr_1_27?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1427988614&sr=1-27&keywords=Bass+amp

Won't get you a lot of volume, but there are enough second hand amps out there.

Thanks, I'll look into them
The Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Special is $199 and is a pretty good place to start.

Practise amps are utterly useless. Get a headphone amp, a usb mixer or use your guitar amp with headphones.
Quote by FatalGear41
Take a look at Yamaha's RBX107Y bass. It is no frills, but solidly built and plays very well:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/yamaha-rbx170y-4-string-electric-bass-guitar/j11882

There are perfectly acceptable basses from Squier and Ibanez that fall within your budget.

Had one of those as my first bass! I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to start playing. Great bass like FatalGear41 says, well built and plays very well.
No
I have a yamaha and it works well (albeit an acoustic guitar), but it works well for me and I'm impressed by it. I looked at basses again recently, and am leaning towards the squier jaguar shortscale ( http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Jaguar-Bass-Special-SS--Short-Scale--108097676-i1860420.gc ) I'd go for a fullscale, but I have super small hands(think smaller than the average 9 year olds haha) and I'm not sure if the normal scale basses would work that well for me.
My two finalists are the Squier Jaguar shortscale and the Ibanez GSRM20 ( http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-GSRM20-Mikro-Short-Scale-Bass-Guitar-104621354-i1324105.gc ) and judging by reviews and stuff either of them should be fine, I just can't figure out which one I'd like better. I have several months before I can get a bass anyway, luckily my bandmate's gonna lend me his next week (I've got no idea what kind haha). I guess I'll just go try them out at guitar center when I've got all the money
Thank you all so much, I've been fully convinced that picking up a new instrument is gonna be the right decision and the info really helped me
i've owned the mikro and currently own the jag ss. i feel that as-is, the jag ss has better quality hardware (the knobs on the mikro are plastic *lol*), and to my ear has better tone. the slightly longer scale can be handy when playing the higher frets, as they get pretty small on the mikro.

on the other hand, the mikro has a shorter scale and is lighter, and it's not bad at all. i did find the pickups were slightly closer together, which was a pain in the butt for some things, but the shorter scale is good if - like me - you have a limited range of motion, and the light weight makes it a great couch bass. and you can always replace the hardware.

i'm planning to buy a second jag ss to drop some nordstrand pickups into, and am considering another micro, as well. it's just so nice and light, although honestly the bronco is probably that light, and honestly i didn't find the mikro sounded any better - i owned a bronco and mikro at the same time, and have also a/b'ed them in many stores. but i like having 2 pickups. i might actually be picking up a bronco, my husband said he'd route it so i could drop a music man pickup in it. since the music man is too heavy for me, that would be a great solution.

btw, years ago i owned a yamaha RBX170. it was pretty light for a long scale bass, so i used to use it at jams and rehearsal all the time. if you're not specifically looking for a short scale bass, check it out while you're at GC.

good luck, and have fun picking your bass
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Jul 17, 2015,
Quote by ksallen
I would never buy one off of the internet,
Recommendations for a cheap amp would also really help. (under $50 preferable, but I could do up to $75)

You should probably develop a tolerance for buying one off the internet.
Your choices are, otherwise, going to be extremely limited. And they're going to be overpriced. Take a look: http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html

This particular site is also the source of all Agile guitars (I have four). Good return policy if there's an issue.

All that said, I bought my first bass, a Fender Squier Skull bass, for around $110 off a Guitar Denter used wall. It was and is a pretty solid bass and does some serious work right up to a professional level. It does, however, have a pretty goofy graphic (and inlay at the 12th fret) and I've taken some ribbing for it. "It looks a little like a chipmunk or something."
"No, it's mighty pirate skull and crossbones! Fear it!" "I think it's cute." "AUUUGH"
I've even taken it to church for the local worship band on occasion. No one gets upset. They think I've done it to be ironic or...Auuugh....cute. See for yourself.

Have you looked through the used section of Guitar Splinter online?
Oh -- bass practice amps are utterly useless. Wait, did someone already say that? He was dead on. Don't bother.

I found a used Bass Pod XT "bean" (well under $100) that has models of high end bass amps, cabinets and FX built in. Plug in a set of headphones and wail until you develop tinnitus.

Last edited by dspellman at Jul 17, 2015,
i disagree that bass practice amps are all useless. if you want to practice at home, they're fine, and i've rehearsed quietly with turned down players with 25 watt amps or even less. i recommend the current small ampeg - the BA108V2 - as it has a kick back feature and sounds good. it's a few bucks above your price range, but if you spend a little less on a bass or wait for a holiday sale, there ya go.

btw, i buy basses online all the time and have for many years. americanmusical.com gives 3 payments without a credit check, and are very quick to do an exchange if there's any issue, and they pay the shipping. i find the same exchange policies at guitarcenter.com and musiciansfriend.com, and have a very long history buying with both. never had a problem that any of these three wouldn't fix at no cost to me.

i buy in store when i can, but often find the bass or other stuff i want isn't available in store or the only one they have has issues.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
new or used?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I'm a bit unsure about buying online just because I want to know how it feels in my hands, I don't know that much about basses and want to figure out which one is best for me
Also, I've read up on short scale basses and think I should be getting a full scale bass. I'm not that small of a person, and I guess I haven't seen any nine year olds for a while because my hands are actually normal size. I'm probably going to go for the jag fullscale ( http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Jaguar-Electric-Bass-Guitar-Special-106505464-i1788090.gc ) I think it should be better for me in the long run.
I do think I should get a practice amp, I'm in a band with a couple friends and I should probably get an amp so I can be heard.
I'll probably go for new, I don't really know anything about basses and don't want to make my first bass a bad one (although I'll look at them, if something strikes me I may buy it )
It'll be a while, but I'll keep you updated
my husband is 6' 7" and he plays my short scale basses all the time.

i'll be honest, though - if you have no real attachment to playing short scale, i'd start with a standard 24" scale bass. definitely check out yamaha, ibanez and squier - they all offer good basses for good value.

you will not be heard in a band setting with a practice amp unless it's an acoustic jazz trio or maybe folk or something unplugged or turned way down - there are 40 watt practice amps that might do the job, but not at your price. definitely check out that small ampeg, though. and while i'm not crazy about peavey's tone, they're excellent value.

just checked, and there's a used Peavey Tko 115 S Bass on GC's website for $100 plus shipping. 150 watts. you might contact the store it's at and see if they still have it. for your price range a 15" speaker and 150 watts is pretty good. you won't be able to play anything all that loud, but could probably pull off classic rock if your drummer has some self control. to put in in perspective, i used to play metal and loud punk alt, and i used a 1000 watt head cranked to about 7.5, which is as hard as i'll push an amp, through a 15" and a 2x10". but when i played with a soft rock project, i used that same head turned down to maybe 2.
Quote by Skeet UK
i got a kustom kba100 for like $90 on guitarcenter. might wanna look for one of them.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I've been lent an Ibanez mikro and a fender frontman 15g amp from my friend, and so far I'm pretty pleased with it.
I'm going to buy the bass next weekend, and the amp shortly after, so I'm psyched. I'm going to go for the squire affinity series precision bass pj, it felt really good when I went to check the basses out at guitar center, and it's also a decent price. As for amps, I'm not sure, I'm thinking either the Ampeg BA110V2, orange crush PiX
CR25BX, and fender rumble 40. All of these amps look pretty good, I'm open to suggestions though (as long as they're under/about $200, I reevaluated my price because I wanted something decent
Thanks
good choice, and let us know which amp you end up with
Quote by Skeet UK
Bought the bass online Sunday. with the the music and arts sale, it was $40 cheaper. It's coming tomorrow and I'm hyped