So I was wondering exactly what I would need if I wanted to convert a righty guitar to a lefty. I own a couple of lefties, and they play great, not to mention the fact that us lefties have so many options today in choice...

However, I still wanna try this with some old school V shaped guitars. (Gibson, epiphone, hamer, dean)

I know that I'll have to switch the strap button to the other side. No biggie.

As far as the nut goes, will I have to get a new lefty nut altogether, or just switch the old nut around? If I had to guess, I'd say it;s prob better to get a new nut since stock ones are usually not so good.

Regarding the bridge, I'll just have to re-intonate it right? Or will I have to get a new bridge altogether? Maybe it depends on the particular guitar model. I heard that gibson style TOM bridges might give me some trouble...

The input jacks position shouldn't be a problem, and if one of the volume knobs gets in the way of my resting forearm, can't I just have it removed and then set the lower positioned tone pot to be the only volume knob?

I'll only be playing metal on these things, so I'd actually prefer just a single volume knob with a three way switch.

Let me know if I am missing anything guys, and please no "This is so dumb you stupid lefty" type comments... This is what I wanna do, so if you could help me out, that'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks dudes!
flip the nut and yes intonate the bridge. all you really have to do. had to do this when i first started to play (back in late 70s) as lefties were rare hard to find period. hated it and after a year said "f" it and learned to play rightie.
Converting a guitar from right-handed to left is impractical. Moving the strap button to the other side of the guitar, the controls being in the wrong places and replacing the nut are the least of your problems.

Pretty much all TOM bridges are mounted to the guitar at a slant to allow the guitar to intonate. Flipping the guitar to a lefty makes the bridge slant in the opposite direction to what you want, making intonation almost impossible. You need to fill the holes and redrill them. And matching certain finishes can be very, very difficult. If the guitar has something like a flamed top, its even more difficult to hide the evidence that the holes have been relocated. Pretty much ALL fixed bridge Flying V's have TOM's, and you will need to face this issue if you commit to doing something like this.

You'll also need to drill new side dots into the other side of the fretboard.

Any scalloping of the body will be in the complete reverse to how you want it, making the guitar's upper fret access difficult, depending on the model.

In my opinion, it really isn't worth the trouble because there's no advantage to playing left-handed and you're forcing yourself to having extremely limited options when it comes to guitars. Guitars are actually quite unusual in the music world because they DO come in left-handed models very occasionally. Almost all other instruments are made specifically for right-handed players only. Left handed versions of the same instrument just don't exist. If you're left-handed, you learn how to play right-handed whether you like it or not.

It sucks, but that's just the way things are. To be honest, its detrimental that there does exist left-handed guitars because it only makes the almost inevitable conversion from left-handed to right a lot more painful and frustrating. I can sympathise.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 2, 2015,
I've been playing lefty since 2009. My first guitar was a left handed dean vendetta. Still have her. There is no going back and trying to learn righty at this point. That's a really stupid idea. No offense...

Anyway, if I have to buy a new bridge for a righty guitar that I wanna convert to lefty, tough shit. I'll just have to do it. Additional drilling might be required but there are only certain models of the Vs in righty that I would really like to own.

I think that on certain LTD Vs, the bridges aren't the tilted kind like on gibbys and epiphones.... That might be better for what I'm trying to do.

As for not being able to reach the upper frets... if I get this done with a gibby, or dean, or epi, that won't matter. Those kinds of Vs are shaped in a way that they are very similar in design on both sides... Plus, if it turns out that I cant reach the highest of high frets, it won't be the end of the world. I just won't use it to play incredibly technical shreddy songs.
Last edited by DeathShredder23 at Apr 2, 2015,
Quote by DeathShredder23
I've been playing lefty since 2009. My first guitar was a left handed dean vendetta. Still have her. There is no going back and trying to learn lefty at this point. That's a really stupid idea. No offense...

Anyway, if I have to buy a new bridge for a righty guitar that I wanna convert to lefty, tough shit. I'll just have to do it. Additional drilling might be required but there are only certain models of the Vs in righty that I would really like to own.

I think that on certain LTD Vs, the bridges aren't the tilted kind like on gibbys and epiphones.... That might be better for what I'm trying to do.

As for not being able to reach the upper frets... if I get this done with a gibby, or dean, or epi, that won't matter. Those kinds of Vs are shaped in a way that they are very similar in design on both sides... Plus, if it turns out that I cant reach the highest of high frets, it won't be the end of the world. I just won't use it to play incredibly technical shreddy songs.

not as stupid as you might think but ok. obviously since you've been playing for a while it would be tougher than if you were still at the beginner phase. good luck with your conversions. post pix when you get one done.
Yeah, if you've already established yourself as a left handed player, you're just going to have to deal. And it doesn't sound like you're too worried about having to modify the guitar, or having the guitar show evidence of the modification, so whatever. Go for it. I'd suggest bringing the guitar to a good tech though, and either having them do it for you, or at least get them to look over the guitar and make sure you change everything that needs changing.

But yeah, when it's possible, it's better to just learn righty no matter what. Beginners should just start that way. It doesn't matter which hand you use to write, or anything else. When a person picks up a guitar for the first time in their life, neither way is any harder or more awkward than the other. It's just hard and awkward, period. If you just start out righty, you learn that way, it works fine, and you have the option of playing just about any guitar there is.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by monwobobbo
not as stupid as you might think but ok. obviously since you've been playing for a while it would be tougher than if you were still at the beginner phase. good luck with your conversions. post pix when you get one done.

I was talking to the other guy. Sorry, I meant to say, there's no point in going back and trying to learn righty.

That would be a complete waste of time. Thanks for the advice, and sorry for the mix up!
Quote by DeathShredder23
I've been playing lefty since 2009. My first guitar was a left handed dean vendetta. Still have her. There is no going back and trying to learn lefty at this point. That's a really stupid idea. No offense...

But that's just the truth of the matter. What I've posted explains why so many people who once played left-handed converted to right-handed even if it pained them to do so. Calling it stupid just because it isn't what you want to hear is a bit childish. The vast majority of leftys do so and it worked out for those people. And I'm not telling you that you have to convert to right-handed. That's entirely up to you.

Its just like, your opinion, man.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by the_bi99man
Yeah, if you've already established yourself as a left handed player, you're just going to have to deal. And it doesn't sound like you're too worried about having to modify the guitar, or having the guitar show evidence of the modification, so whatever. Go for it. I'd suggest bringing the guitar to a good tech though, and either having them do it for you, or at least get them to look over the guitar and make sure you change everything that needs changing.

But yeah, when it's possible, it's better to just learn righty no matter what. Beginners should just start that way. It doesn't matter which hand you use to write, or anything else. When a person picks up a guitar for the first time in their life, neither way is any harder or more awkward than the other. It's just hard and awkward, period. If you just start out righty, you learn that way, it works fine, and you have the option of playing just about any guitar there is.

Thanks for your post man! I have to disagree with you though. Respectfully of course...

I write right handed, but that's only because my preschool teachers didn't know that I was left handed, and decided to put the pencil in my right hand. As a result, my handwriting has ALWAYS been sloppy. Even to this day, I have to try extra hard to stay within the lines when I write on paper....

I knew before I even picked up a guitar that I could only play lefty. I air-guitared lefty to metallica and slayer songs when I was first introduced to metal. I had to play lefty flip on guitar hero, haha.

I actually tried playing both lefty AND righty in the beginning, but righty just never felt right.

I do everything lefty except write, so I guess lefty is what is right for me. No awkwardness.
Last edited by DeathShredder23 at Apr 2, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
But that's just the truth of the matter. What I've posted explains why so many people who once played left-handed converted to right-handed even if it pained them to do so. Calling it stupid just because it isn't what you want to hear is a bit childish. It worked for those people. And I'm not telling you that you have to convert to right-handed. That's entirely up to you.

Haha, dude it has nothing to do with what i wanna hear! I just think you're a really bad troll is all...

I've gotten along just fine since I start playing years ago in a way that felt right to me. (lefty)

I didn't wanna make this out to be a conversation on "lefty or righty: what's better?" As I previously stated in my first post.

I just wanted the best advice I could get on modding guitars.
Trolling has nothing to do with it either, I don't even know how you came to that conclusion. If playing left-handed had no problems, I wouldn't have said that anything was wrong with it.

If you're happy with playing left handed, then that's fine. If you're willing to accept the compromises you'll need to make with almost every guitar you own, that's fine too. But some left-handed people are in fact willing to take a several steps back in their technical skill at guitar temporarily, even if they've been playing lefty for years. If you happen to not be one of those people, cool. But that doesn't mean the alternative was never worth considering, especially when the pretty elaborate and irreversible process of converting a guitar from right-handed to left-handed has more light shed on it.

With all the things I've said above, another implication converting has, is destroying the resale value of the guitar. Perhaps you were not aware of that, which is why you're so set on the idea of converting a guitar. How would I know if you know you're aware of that, if I don't point that out? You're asking a question about the ease of converting a guitar from righty to lefty, so its fair to assume you might not've known.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Trolling has nothing to do with it either, I don't even know how you came to that conclusion. If playing left-handed had no problems, I wouldn't have said that anything was wrong with it.

If you're happy with playing left handed, then that's fine. If you're willing to accept the compromises you'll need to make with almost every guitar you own, that's fine too. But some left-handed people are in fact willing to take a several steps back in their technical skill at guitar temporarily, even if they've been playing lefty for years. If you happen to not be one of those people, cool. But that doesn't mean the alternative was never worth considering, especially when the pretty elaborate and irreversible process of converting a guitar from right-handed to left-handed has more light shed on it.

With all the things I've said above, another implication converting has, is destroying the resale value of the guitar. Perhaps you were not aware of that, which is why you're so set on the idea of converting a guitar. How would I know if you know you're aware of that, if I don't point that out? You're asking a question about the ease of converting a guitar from righty to lefty, so its fair to assume you might not've known.

I realize that converting a righty guitar to a lefty destroys it's resale value. I'm cool with that. All of my guitars are players.
Trying to convert a righty guitar to a left is either going to be a giant project for you to do yourself or stupid expensive to get a luthier to do (kinda beyond tech work at that point). Even if you did flip the bridge and nut, and ignoring the possibility of not being able to get the upper frets, the controls are just plain going to be int he way of you strumming or just hard to reach on the fly.

You're actually probably better off going custom if you're sticking with lefty. Easier and might not be that much more expensive. You could also look at Schecter, but I don't know if they are still making Vs beyond signatures. They typically have a nice left handed selection.

Also, left handed people playing righty is not terribly uncommon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKhOc8eGx6A
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Regardless of his other opinions, TDB's point about the bridge slant is a good one. You might have to fill and re-drill the bridge mounting holes, a bigger task than just replacing the nut and adjusting the saddles.

I'm not going to get into the argument about handedness, because I've looked at it before, and it turns out to be really, really complicated. For example, I've always thought that strong left handers would be badly handicapped playing right handed, but I've been told that left-handers are over-represented among orchestral violinists, who are obliged to play right-handed.
Quote by TheStig1214
Trying to convert a righty guitar to a left is either going to be a giant project for you to do yourself or stupid expensive to get a luthier to do (kinda beyond tech work at that point). Even if you did flip the bridge and nut, and ignoring the possibility of not being able to get the upper frets, the controls are just plain going to be int he way of you strumming or just hard to reach on the fly.

You're actually probably better off going custom if you're sticking with lefty. Easier and might not be that much more expensive. You could also look at Schecter, but I don't know if they are still making Vs beyond signatures. They typically have a nice left handed selection.

Also, left handed people playing righty is not terribly uncommon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKhOc8eGx6A

I'm a big fan of Josh and his playing. Thanks for sharing! I didn't know he's naturally left handed.

I still disagree with him though. For some people, left is the only right. All you have to do is read some of the comments from other lefties on the video you just posted...

We have the carvin custom shop, warmoth guitars, and XL Guitars, (a one stop online shop for all lefty guitar players of the world)

We have so many options today, it's really great. I still want me some old school Flying V guitars though, so i'm probably gonna go through with this and have them converted...

I'll try and find somebody who is really good at doing this kind of work, that way I don't get ****ed on the price by guitar center.
Quote by Tony Done
Regardless of his other opinions, TDB's point about the bridge slant is a good one. You might have to fill and re-drill the bridge mounting holes, a bigger task than just replacing the nut and adjusting the saddles.

I'm not going to get into the argument about handedness, because I've looked at it before, and it turns out to be really, really complicated. For example, I've always thought that strong left handers would be badly handicapped playing right handed, but I've been told that left-handers are over-represented among orchestral violinists, who are obliged to play right-handed.

not at all. i'm a leftie and i play right. i started to play leftie but back inthe day left handed guitars were very rare. did the conversion thing but honestly it sucked. after about a year and half of playing i said screw it and restarted rightie. since you use your left hand to finger things it''s actually easier for me to do that, not awkward at all. learning to strum or pick notes (at least to me) seems easier. keep in mind that many right handed people do everything that way and never learn to use the left hand for anything. lefties are kinda stuck having to learn to use both hands to some degree.
Quote by DeathShredder23
I'm a big fan of Josh and his playing. Thanks for sharing! I didn't know he's naturally left handed.

I still disagree with him though. For some people, left is the only right. All you have to do is read some of the comments from other lefties on the video you just posted...

We have the carvin custom shop, warmoth guitars, and XL Guitars, (a one stop online shop for all lefty guitar players of the world)

We have so many options today, it's really great. I still want me some old school Flying V guitars though, so i'm probably gonna go through with this and have them converted...

I'll try and find somebody who is really good at doing this kind of work, that way I don't get ****ed on the price by guitar center.

What is your budget for this sort of thing anyway? drumcityguitarland has a lefty Gary Holt sig, which is a pretty traditional shaped flying v, for around $900 right now if you don't mind the Floyd (you could always block it anyway). Probably a whole lot cheaper that what you're potentially looking to do from a pro.

http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/Schecter-DIAMOND-SERIES-Gary-Holt-VEXODUS-Black-Model-Left-Handed-6-String-Electric-Guitar-P8283.aspx
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
What is your budget for this sort of thing anyway? drumcityguitarland has a lefty Gary Holt sig, which is a pretty traditional shaped flying v, for around $900 right now if you don't mind the Floyd (you could always block it anyway). Probably a whole lot cheaper that what you're potentially looking to do from a pro.

http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/Schecter-DIAMOND-SERIES-Gary-Holt-VEXODUS-Black-Model-Left-Handed-6-String-Electric-Guitar-P8283.aspx

Yea man I was actually checking that out a few months back... I honestly don't think it's worth that much.

But I'm always on ebay looking for good deals on lefties so maybe it'll show up one day for a cheaper price.
Quote by monwobobbo
not at all. i'm a leftie and i play right. i started to play leftie but back inthe day left handed guitars were very rare. did the conversion thing but honestly it sucked. after about a year and half of playing i said screw it and restarted rightie. since you use your left hand to finger things it''s actually easier for me to do that, not awkward at all. learning to strum or pick notes (at least to me) seems easier. keep in mind that many right handed people do everything that way and never learn to use the left hand for anything. lefties are kinda stuck having to learn to use both hands to some degree.

Yet you used to read all these stories about left-handed kids developing all sorts of psychological problems through being forced into right-handedness. I still think it depends one how strongly handed you are - strong right>>ambidextrous>>strong left is a continuum, where "strong" refers to dexterity. Maybe you aren't very strongly lefie. Then there's mixed handedness. There's some interesting articles in Wikipedia on the subject.
Quote by Tony Done
Yet you used to read all these stories about left-handed kids developing all sorts of psychological problems through being forced into right-handedness. I still think it depends one how strongly handed you are - strong right>>ambidextrous>>strong left is a continuum, where "strong" refers to dexterity. Maybe you aren't very strongly lefie. Then there's mixed handedness. There's some interesting articles in Wikipedia on the subject.

forced would be the key here. no one forced me i did it myself. i'm a pretty strong leftie but as i mentioned as a leftie you still have to learn to use teh right hand at least some. i write with my left hand and many other things naturaly. i've read plenty about being left handed believe me also have plenty of first hand experience
Check out Agile's semi custom Hornet. That's their V with juicy specs. Just keep checking until the custom shop opens up.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I kind of understand the position of the original poster, I tried left handed long ago and found it incredibly uncomfortable. My father and sister are both left handed, he could do almost anything right handed he could do left handed. In the Army he was on their pistol team, and their star shooter, right handed. They required right handed shooting in those days, no exceptions. Same for almost anything he did, he could write right handed as well as I can now. I can't do anything left handed...not well anyway. I'm also familiar with trying to find things you can use left handed, I've done it for many years trying to find birthday and Christmas presents for my sister. Try finding a left handed can opener sometime...

The issue of the bridge slant...I don't know just how much slant you're dealing with, and not sure this would solve the problem, but a "wide throw" bridge is available, I had to get one years ago for a Les Paul copy I shouldn't have sold. No way it would intonate once I changed string gauges and got it set up to suit me, so I started asking around at music stores and found one, solved the problem. It's a wider tune o matic bridge that allows more movement of the saddles for intonation.

In a way I agree with some of the comments here, it's easier to simply get a leftie, but I also see your point, so I say go for it. Get one, modify it if you have to, it can't be all bad, Hendrix turned down leftie guitars for an upside down strat... I know he had at least one, I've seen a picture, I think it was a left handed Les Paul. He liked the knobs being on top, he thought it made them more accessible and used the volume knob that way a lot for swells.

Go for it, modifying one might be a PITA, but it can be done, and if a standard model not available in a leftie is what you want, do it. Other people can say what they want, I know how hard it is to find various items made for left hand use, I've looked for them for 40 years or more. Can opener, skil saw, fishing reels, guns (standard semi auto throws the empty back in your face shooting leftie sometimes), and just the power cable on common items gets in the way because it's made to face away from you when used right handed. Like an iron. Try to iron a shirt, the power cord is constantly in my sister's way. I can put it hanging off the back side of the ironing board...no problem...I looked for 3 or 4 months for a left handed can opener because the standard right handed one is really difficult for her to use. A stinking measuring cup...marked backwards, use it left handed and the markings are on the wrong side...it's insane... I would never have even thought about it, but I've seen my father and sister trying to deal with a right handed world for 59 years...

So go for it...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by DeathShredder23
Sand please no "This is so dumb you stupid lefty" type comments...

Uh...Oh...
Okay.

Damn.

Nevermind.

BTW, you know there are lefty V's out there, right? I can see the guys from Carvin waving one now.
Quote by DeathShredder23

I actually tried playing both lefty AND righty in the beginning, but righty just never felt right.

I've never understood "righty/lefty" when it comes to musical instruments.

Most of the instruments in the world work just one way, and entire symphony orchestras survive with superb left-handed musicians having learned that one way. I learned keyboards (including classical pipe organ with heel-and-toe pedals for both feet) and wind instruments the only way they were presented to me. Hell, I've learned to drive both right and left-handed cars where I needed to. There are certainly tons of examples of guitarists who write and do other things left-handed, but who play right-handed. The hoops that left-handed guitarists jump through so that they can play a backwards guitar never made sense.
I had a friend ask me about finding left-handed guitars one time. I told him buy a righty guitar and use the saved money to buy lessons and learn to play righty....
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by dspellman
Uh...Oh...
Okay.

Damn.

Nevermind.

BTW, you know there are lefty V's out there, right? I can see the guys from Carvin waving one now.

Carvin only makes their "Ultra V" in righty, but guess what? It looks better that way, because it actually resembles a lefty jackson rhoads!!!

So I think it's ****ing awesome. In fact, I tried calling carvin the other day to ask them about that, but I never got through...

The only problem would be the control scheme, and even then, I'm sure I could get used to it as long as they weren't in the way. Maybe carvin can make me one with a left handed nut and lefty bridge set up.

I'd really like that.