hey i was hoping you people could help me find a audio interface to use with a DAW

budget: $500

features needed:
-phantom power
-at least one XLR
-at least two instrument lines
-firewire out to pc
-LOW LATENCY for use with a monitor hooked up to a laptop
-makes an sm57 sound good.

ty
sigless
Last edited by sysD at Apr 2, 2015,
Focusrite scarlett 18i20 if usb or saffire pro 40 if you got firewire
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
^ nah they sound pretty bad if ya ask me, and they have barely enough gain to power a 57 recording a pretty close and pretty loud source.

Also USB's latency sucks.

TS you better ask in the recording section, and read the introduction to recording sticky since you're at it.

Anyway, what do you need to record exactly?
How many tracks at a time?
Do you use a mac?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
They sound bad? Please elaborate
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
Using it for recording guita and bass and vox, need the instrument lines (1/2 inch) for the guitars and xlr for the mic.
I want phantom power so I can get a condensor later.

Had an m Audio mobile pre USB but the gain levels were so goddamn low and latency was horrinle.

Like I said I'll be using my computer speakers as a monitor so I'll need low latency.

Will be recording separate instrument tracks (direct and mic'd) and mixing in a daw m
My daw is on a pc laptop and it doesn't have a FireWire port yet. I've budgeted $100 for that purpose
sigless
Last edited by sysD at Apr 2, 2015,
Motu 4Pre maybe
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
How about a used Presonus 16.0.2 mixing console? Should be able to pick one up for about that price. It uses Firewire and has everything you want and more. I use a Presonus 16.4.2 here and am getting ready to upgrade to the 32.4.2 this summer. They sound great and have excellent latency. You'd be surprised how many of these desks are being used out there.

Funny to see someone talk down the Focusrite stuff. Seems this place is crawling with Focusrite fanboys... You just poked a big stick into the Focusrite ants nest. lol
the motu 4 pre seems a little more in my price range.

any cons to it?

i used to use a br600 to mix but never used any of the bells n whistles, maybe a mixer or a multitrack recorder would cover me here?
sigless
The Scarlett interface has more inputs and outputs than the Motu 4 so if you ever decide you need to record more things at once in the future you don't have to spend another 500 dollars. The latency on it is fine I track with it with no problems at 2ms. It has phantom power and award winning pre amps. The ****er is amazing. I don't know why spambot hates it.

All 8 of the inputs are XLR/TRS combo and the first 2 can be switched between line/instrument level with the push of a button. All 8 of the inputs can run phantom power at once. I have the 18i20. It is ****ing killer.
Peavey 6505+ 112

Focusrite Scarlett's preamps sound amazing for the money. Better than anything in its price range, and I never had any issues with its latency.
[404]Signature not found
Quote by KG6_Steven
Funny to see someone talk down the Focusrite stuff. Seems this place is crawling with Focusrite fanboys... You just poked a big stick into the Focusrite ants nest. lol

Spambot does that a lot - he prefers other interfaces, most of the regulars in the Recording forum disagree with that but agree that his other suggestions are just as good. It's all noted in the Intro to Recording sticky, which provides more than enough information to resolve this thread.
Quote by sysD
i used to use a br600 to mix but never used any of the bells n whistles, maybe a mixer or a multitrack recorder would cover me here?

It's possible. If you're only a casual recording hobbyist, using a decent multitracker as your DAW will do a great job and can be far easier to learn than the software equivalent. There's a load of recommendations for these in the Intro to Recording sticky as well.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by BV-95
They sound bad? Please elaborate
The converters have very little headroom (other interfaces costing the same money have almost 10dB more in both AD and DA), the pre's have a dip in the mids, very little bass extension and little gain - you can barely power an SM57 with it, let alone something like an SM7.

To say it with my own words, they sound hella dull.
Quote by sysD
Using it for recording guita and bass and vox, need the instrument lines (1/2 inch) for the guitars and xlr for the mic.
I want phantom power so I can get a condensor later.
But how much stuff do you want to be able to record at the same time?
Quote by sysD
Like I said I'll be using my computer speakers as a monitor so I'll need low latency.
Latency depends on the data interface (USB/FW/TB...) and on your computer's processing power and drivers quality, the interface itself has almost nothing to do with it.

What computer are you using?
Quote by sysD
My daw is on a pc laptop and it doesn't have a FireWire port yet. I've budgeted $100 for that purpose
They don't really make FW expansion cards for laptops, so unless you're sure you can do that 'cause your computer is strange an unusual then you can't do that.

You won't also find a hub to connect to your computer via USB or ethernet 'cause it doesn't work that way, and even if it did it would mean more latency.
Quote by sysD
Unless you wanna do live mixing, a mixer will be a waste of money,
Quote by BV-95
The Scarlett interface has more inputs and outputs than the Motu 4
So does the apogee duet, though people still buy the duet and the 4track.

Might it be that people also want their gear to sound good other than having a lot of i/o options?
The latency on it is fine I track with it with no problems at 2ms./QUOTE]2ms in input, output, roundtrip... ?
Quote by BV-95
It has phantom power and award winning pre amps.
Focusrite has won awards for their pre's but these have nothing to do with the scarlett's.

Also have you noticed how most of the low end interface feature "award winning, world class preamps"?
Quote by BV-95
The ****er is amazing. I don't know why spambot hates it.
I don't hate it at all.
I kinda like the color and the finish in fact.

I though think it sounds pretty bad.
Quote by BV-95
All 8 of the inputs can run phantom power at once.
You also can only engage phantom power 4 inputs by 4 inputs, so be careful if you ever get yourself a ribbon mic.
Quote by jmaguire
Focusrite Scarlett's preamps sound amazing for the money. Better than anything in its price range
Now go listening to some other interfaces in its price range.

In real life, not youtube.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
You know you don't have to use the stock pres, right?
Peavey 6505+ 112

My opinion is from experience. I've found I get better results with the Focusrite than any of it's competitors.
You obviously think different. Thats cool, you're entitled to think differently to me.
[404]Signature not found
Quote by Spambot_2

But how much stuff do you want to be able to record at the same time?
Latency depends on the data interface (USB/FW/TB...) and on your computer's processing power and drivers quality, the interface itself has almost nothing to do with it.

What computer are you using?
They don't really make FW expansion cards for laptops, so unless you're sure you can do that 'cause your computer is strange an unusual then you can't do that.

You won't also find a hub to connect to your computer via USB or ethernet 'cause it doesn't work that way, and even if it did it would mean more latency.
Unless you wanna do live mixing, a mixer will be a waste of money,
So does the apogee duet, though people still buy the duet and the 4track.

Alright, I think I'm willing to compromise.
I need 2 xlr and 2 instrument lines. i need it to be a good, clean audio interface.
i figure this way i can spend 200 or less on the interface and 300 on a preamp and maybe a compressor or an extra sm-series

i'll need recommendations again... is it even possible to get what I need at this pricepoint? how limited would i be in terms of recording a single guitar and sm57 using your recommended option?

i'll be needing to run the gear onto an amd 6 quadcore laptop pc. it'll have to do for the next year - i'll be running a monitor off whatever preamp/interface i get, or if the interface is cheap enough, i'll use the extra money for a line splitter whether in pedal form or whatever
sigless
Last edited by sysD at Apr 3, 2015,
Quote by BV-95
You know you don't have to use the stock pres, right?
Yes.

You know you can't bypass the pre's even by going in from the mic/line inputs on the back panel, right?

You also praised the scarlett pre's, so I thought you were suggesting to use them instead of other pre's.

Please at least check your facts and be coherent if you want to act like a smartass.
Quote by sysD
I need 2 xlr and 2 instrument lines.
XLR is a connector, it may receive line inputs or mic inputs.
Instrument lines is a bit unclear - it's either a line input or an instrument input.
That's mostly semantics tho.

Still, how much stuff do you want to record at the same time?
Quote by sysD
i figure this way i can spend 200 or less on the interface and 300 on a preamp and maybe a compressor or an extra sm-series
$300 bucks will not get you more than a nice single ch. pre if you want something colored or a 2ch pre if you want a good clean pre, but for $500 you might as well get an interface with better pre's and better converters.

In that price range and in your situation, I would def not get a compressor.
Quote by sysD
i'll need recommendations again... is it even possible to get what I need at this pricepoint?
You still didn't explain what you want to do exactly.

Please do.
Quote by sysD
how limited would i be in terms of recording a single guitar and sm57 using your recommended option?
That you could do just fine even with a $150-200 interface.
Quote by sysD
it'll have to do for the next year - i'll be running a monitor off whatever preamp/interface i get, or if the interface is cheap enough, i'll use the extra money for a line splitter whether in pedal form or whatever
For your sake if you want to get a monitor speaker get a pair, and if you don't have the money for a pair then wait until you have.

A splitter box costs no more than $30.
$10 if you build it yourself.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by sysD
hey i was hoping you people could help me find a audio interface to use with a DAW

budget: $500

features needed:
-phantom power
-at least one XLR
-at least two instrument lines
-firewire out to pc
-LOW LATENCY for use with a monitor hooked up to a laptop
-makes an sm57 sound good.

ty

Take a look at the PreSonus Audio Box 1818VSL:

http://www.presonus.com/products/AudioBox-1818VSL

It is at the high end of your price range, but it seems to have what you seek. Nice unit, to be sure.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
spambot, i unno what i want man, i'm a noob

i have an sm57. i use it with a 1/2 inch
i have a guitar, i want to use it with its 1/2 inch

i'd be doing mostly track by track recording but need to be able to mic up an electric-acoustic as well (thus the two channels, but if you can point out something exceptional and cheap with one/two channels, i'd go for it)

i basically used to use a br600 mixer but got sick of constantly importing and exporting files onto the thing.

OR
an audio interface + preamp that lets me record four channels as a time (three mics and a guitar instrument line) and that also has output for at least one monitor

i have a total of $500

ps - can i stick a guitar with an xlr patch into a mic pre?
sigless
Quote by sysD
spambot, i unno what i want man, i'm a noob
Why don't you decide and come back then?

'cause if not even you know what you want, then you're sure as hell gonna spend more money than you need to, possibly for getting something you don't need.
Quote by sysD
an audio interface + preamp that lets me record four channels as a time (three mics and a guitar instrument line) and that also has output for at least one monitor
If two inputs are fine get an audient id22, if you want four get a steinberg ur44, if you think you might use more get a roland octa capture.
Quote by sysD
ps - can i stick a guitar with an xlr patch into a mic pre?
Yes, but you'll likely overload the input.

It likely won't sound good.
Quote by sysD
no guitar inputs bro
The first two inputs, labeled "mic . instrument", are suited for a guitar.

Also stop bumping your thread so often, wait 12 hours at least.

People have other stuff to do.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola