As the title says, I've been playing 7 months, very heavily... several hours nearly every day. I thought this would get them tough, but my finger tips still constantly in pain or at least discomfort from playing. I have calluses but it's still very sensitive and calluses are constantly shedding around the grooves. Often it's uncomfortable from the moment I pick up the guitar.

Playing at the top of the neck and on the lower strings is especially bad. There's one song I play (Everybody's talking at me) with chords, E, E7, A, B7 all on the top two frets. It's the most finger hurting song. Playing it for months and I still can't get through it without severe discomfort.

This really effects my play. I get a lot of buzzy sounding chords because I know that if I REALLY press down on the strings the way I should I will want to cry.

I feel like this isn't normal after 7 months, right? Is it because that I play so much, virtually without much rest that my fingertips aren't able to toughen properly? Would really like some input. Thanks
I'm also a regular stimulant user. This has a tendency to dry out the skin among other things. I wonder if this could have any effect?However, I just read something on the internet that said keeping your skin as dry as possible is best for building calluses. I'm stumped.
Take 2 days off and give them time to recover. Study in the mean time.
Jackson Pro King V
Schecter LE Hellraiser C-1
Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Peavey 6505+
Marshall1960a
Line 6 Wireless G50> Boss TU-3> Dunlop Orignal Crybaby> Ibanez TS-9> MXR Smart Gate> Digitech Turbo Flange> MXR Black Label Chorus> MXR Carbon Copy
I'm not going to go too far out on a limb here and suggest that your instrument is in need of adjustment. Have you had it "set up"....Or the action adjusted?

Sounds like you have all the symptoms of a guitar with the action too high. See a good technician and make your life easier.
i imagine callouses form during recovery time, not during practice time. i have 1-2 days off every few days to allow recovery. also above post is interesting idea
Your guiatr strings need to be lowed,I just got a new les Paul lowered them and its so much better good luck.
Yeah, I believe what you guys are saying. I feel like i have to press down really hard to get the chords to ring clear. I bought a pretty decent guitar (Takamine for about 300 dollars) a few months ago so i didn't think this would be an issue. But i will take it in. If this works boy am I gonna love the difference. Thanks
I'd still think that my calluses would be tougher than they are. No protection against that kind of punishment I guess? Well, i believe you guys are right. Action on my guitar does suck now that you mention it
u cud try looking for reviews of your guitar to see if other ppl found the same

also try having some days not playing in order to build callous. i can't confirm that this works but it probably does
Follow up: you guys were absolutely right the strings on my guitar being too high. A slight adjustment to the neck makes a world. I can play all day now and all the strings on a Barre chord ring true. To think i played with it 4 months like that. .. thanks guys
Quote by panman36
Follow up: you guys were absolutely right the strings on my guitar being too high. A slight adjustment to the neck makes a world. I can play all day now and all the strings on a Barre chord ring true. To think i played with it 4 months like that. .. thanks guys

Great news! Here's a tip though: playing that guitar like that for 4 months has quite possibly engrained some bad tension habits in your hand, where you'll end up pressing harder than you need to and still tire out quicker than necessary (not to mention, you'll never achieve fluidity and speed). You'll want to work them out as soon as possible. I recommend doing this exercise. Make your chord shape but DON'T fret the strings yet. Begin strumming slowly. Of course it will be dead notes for now. Very very slowly begin to apply small amounts of pressure on the strings and keep strumming. AS SOON as you can strum the entire chord cleanly, STOP APPLYING ADDITIONAL PRESSURE and make a strong mental note of exactly how your left hand feels at that moment. You'll probably be surprised at just how little pressure is actually needed to play. If you can get in the habit of only using this much pressure and not a single bit more, your playing fluency will really take off. This, of course, applies to single note lead guitar stuff too, and is one of the secrets to playing fast solos and whatnot.
I dont think my problem is solved as I thought. I thought so because I got the neck adjusted and now the strings at the top of the neck and much lower, and easier to press down on. However now i notice that the problem seems to be shifted toward the bottom where the strings are now higher off the fret board. It took me a while to notice this because I pretty much play open chords at the top of the neck at this point. I'm surprised he would make this adjustment. So the other option I have at the store is to get the bridge grinded. You think that's the necessary option? I'm definitely going back there
Quote by Tazz3
Your guiatr strings need to be lowed,I just got a new les Paul lowered them and its so much better good luck.

it surprises me that guitars would come like that. You'd think that for a good guitar the manufacturers would do this before it goes to the shops😮
buy a multitool from amazon and do it yourself

you can spend a good 20 mins trying out different positionings until you're comfortable...

i get the impression that reshaping the bridge is a massive last resort
Last edited by percydw at Apr 15, 2015,
Thanks. so i wont do anything drastic yet. Is it better for the strings to be higher off the fret board lower on the neck? That's how it is now
Hello!

The best method of workouts for guitarists, amateurs or professional All style, rock, jazz, blues, country, fusión, etc. FOR ONLY 0,99$
Over 80 exercises The real gym to stay in shape.
Book + Audio Tracks
Design by Pablo Mendoza - Director of Academy AMPM

Pablo Mendoza is a renowned professor at suramerica apart from being a soloist who played with Paul Gilbert and Joe Satriani has a band called Backhand where listed Dutch masters , American and Venezuelan their instruments , the singer is Phil Naro who was voice of Peter Criss, Talas with Billy Sheehan, and just work with the son of John Lennon and Bryan May of Queen , we are talking about a guitarist who is in the major leagues.

LINK= http://www.pablomendoza.com/rutinas/index.html

His Academy:
http://www.academiademusica.pablomendoza.com

His Web
http://www.pablomendoza.com