Hi everyone,

I have an Ibanez S570DXQM with DiMarzio Evolutions, which I built in myself a year ago or so. The guitar has HSH-pu-setup and a 5-way-switch. Now I'd like to add a push-pull pot to my guitar because I miss the singlecoil-like sounds at the bridge and the neck. So the idea is just to be able to split the neck- and bridge-humbucker when pulling the pot out, practically enabling me to stwich between a classic SSS-configuration and the HSH-configuration I have now. Concerning this, I have a few questions.

1. How would the wiring diagram for that one look like?

2. As I have a Saber, the body is slightly slimer and the cavity holds less space. I worry I might buy a too big pot which won't fit in the guitar cavity. Is there any fool-proof way figuring out what pot I need or is there already a pot specifically designed for the Ibanez S series? Should be available to the european market if possible.

3. Should I rather use a log or linear pot for the guitar? Is a resistance of 500Kohm fine?

Thanks in advance!
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
Last edited by Dragonfyre137 at Apr 3, 2015,
I'll start with the easy answers first

ok so - Logarythmic or audio taper? it's preference. As a tone pot you want it to be linear everyone will agree with you there. I found Ibanez guitars mostly have linear volume pots too which gives you a smooth and equal 10-1. The last two RG350s I had for example.

will the pot fit? there should be measurements on say the Dimarizo type you can purchase as you wouldn't be the first person to email them about a Ibanez inquiry.

Wiring wise well with a push pull pot there is many things we can do. It's essentially a DPDT switch (double pull double throw) also known as a mini toggle. So to do this there is a few ways.

so before we get started I'll give you two options
*coil - split - for that buzzing single coil tone
*coiltap also known as parallel - it's a hum cancelling option that gives a different single coil tone without the buzz.
*worst case scenario if you never use your tone pot schematic 3 you'll like.

firstly the dimarzio color code

so these are not Ibanez RG wirings but the same pricipal applies. Use dimarzio color code instead of seymour duncan when soldering.

so now a traditional coiltap. You can do this on two pickups if you wanted to. To add a second pickup to coiltap. This can be your volume or tone pot

and now parallel. Your hum cancelling option. This on you can only use on one pickup but I find it more superior.

and last but not least spin a split. This is a mod that turns your tone knob into a way for your pickups to adjust output.
10 = full power humbucker
0 = 50% of your humbucker giving you that coil splitted sound that buzzes
Wow, that surely is a lot of input, thanks

Okay, so I guess I'll stick with linear pots, then.
So far, this is the only available linear push-pull-pot on my market: http://www.thomann.de/de/harley_benton_parts_push_pull_a500.htm
Do you think it will do it?

Also, I think I'd prefer the classic singlecoil tone. I've had the opportunity to compare a singlecoil sound to a parallel-wired humbucker and the latter just didn't do it for me.

Edit: I just found this wiring diagramm on DiMarzio.com. Seems like it's basically what I've been loking for. Or do you see something I don't?
http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/files/diagrams/hsh5w1v1ppt_nbB.pdf

P.S.: I know I might seem overly cautious, but I just don't want to mess it up.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
Last edited by Dragonfyre137 at Apr 3, 2015,
That DiMarzio diagram is good, but you might find that you have a different switch that already splits the humbuckers on position 2 and 4. It's standard on a lot of HSH Ibanez guitars. It's not a problem, it will just look different than the 5-way standard switch on the diagram you showed.

I disagree about the pots. I think Tallwood confuses a few terms. He says the choice is between "logarithmic or audio" which is a fundamental misunderstanding because those two are the same thing. Logarithmic pots are Audio taper pots which are more common in volume controls. Most people find that linear taper pots are less smooth, so I'm further confused at the idea that the linear pot has a more consistent taper, but that could simply be a difference in preference.

Here is where I think the confusion comes from:

"Linear" is electronically linear, but since we don't hear audio in a linear fashion, audio (logarithmic) pots are used to sound linear. So if you want a smooth volume taper you probably do not want a linear pot. They will work, and you might not notice or care about the difference, but the taper on a linear pot might have a strange jump in volume that you don't like. People use both, though, so there's no right answer. It's just worth understanding that "linear" doesn't mean "nice consistent sweep" even though it might sound like it does. It's the opposite. Audio taper pots were developed specifically to fix the inconsistent taper on linear pots.

The pot you linked is audio taper, not linear. The "A" in the name indicates an Audio taper. Anyway, I would suggest using an audio pot for the volume if you're not sure. You can also try both, they're not expensive.
Yes, you're right, my current gutiar DOES split the humbuckers at position 2 and 4. But according to what is written right under the diagram so does that wiring, doesn't it? Then again, I'm no expert in reading wiring diagrams and might be confusing something...

Okay, so we're talking logarithmic pots now? Then I have the following options:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/potentiometers.html

As I said, I'm not really sure wich of them will actually fit in my guitar. I'd really hate it to have to buy a bunch of them and then just try whichever will fit :/. Just by heart I'd prefer the DiMarzio one, but I have no objective reason to prefer it. Also, still the question remains if 500kOhm is good?

Thanks for your info, it's been really helpful
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF

Quote by metalmingee
Yes, I just mean you almost certainly have a different kind of switch. The lugs will look different from the ones in that diagram. The function is basically the same.

Apparently other people have had trouble with clearance in their S570s. Looks like it's a tight fit at best.
http://forum.ibanez.com/yaf_postst84569_The-push-pull-S--Glorious.aspx
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/push-pull-pots-on-s-series-guitar-39477.html

The easiest option if you're willing to do it would be to drill for a mini-switch. That will fit for sure and give you all the same options.
Glad I could help with all the diagrams. It's good to be cautious. With the coilsplit it seems the best option then. It's easier to wire up and there is a bunch of ways to do it. You learn a lot when you take pickups apart.
I just put two P-Rails in a guitar and added four push-pull pots (two volume, two tone) so that each can be parallel, series, split P90 or split Rail. 24 total configurations factoring in the 3-way pickup selector switch.

Anyway, I found the Seymour Duncan forum to be most helpful in figuring out wiring details.

I opted for linear tone pots and audio taper volume pots, and I like it. I got all them off Ebay. The volume pots were Bourne and a bit larger and nicer than the no-name (from China) tone pots. But they all come with washers large enough that they should fit in a variety of hole sizes unless you have something really weird. Shaft length worked out the same, but if it hadn't, I would have used washers to on the longer ones or even a nut on the underside to get them to match. These were all 500k.

Have you considered changing the capacitor for your tone pot? I think standard is .022 for single coil, .047 for humbucker. Or maybe that's backwards. Anyway, I opted for .033 which I read is good for P90, somewhere between humbucker and single coil, and I'm pretty happy with it. I might consider .033 in the future if I am wiring a guitar with a humbucker with split coil option.

Ken
Bernie Sanders for President!
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, I just mean you almost certainly have a different kind of switch. The lugs will look different from the ones in that diagram. The function is basically the same.

Apparently other people have had trouble with clearance in their S570s. Looks like it's a tight fit at best.
http://forum.ibanez.com/yaf_postst84569_The-push-pull-S--Glorious.aspx
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/push-pull-pots-on-s-series-guitar-39477.html

The easiest option if you're willing to do it would be to drill for a mini-switch. That will fit for sure and give you all the same options.

Okay, at worst it will just be some trial by error to figure out how to get the split-positions I want.

I've stumbled upon these threads you provided before, which is what made me ask here again, because I couldn't find a single thread which directly answered which pot will fit in an Ibanez S.

I don't think I'd like to do any drilling in there. If nothing else helps, I'll just try to directly contact either the DiMarzio customer service or the thomann cyberstore.

Quote by Tallwood13
Glad I could help with all the diagrams. It's good to be cautious. With the coilsplit it seems the best option then. It's easier to wire up and there is a bunch of ways to do it. You learn a lot when you take pickups apart.

That's what I hoped for simple, yet effective. I guess I'll just have to take a day or two off and take some time to make some experiences of my own.

Quote by krm27
I just put two P-Rails in a guitar and added four push-pull pots (two volume, two tone) so that each can be parallel, series, split P90 or split Rail. 24 total configurations factoring in the 3-way pickup selector switch.

Anyway, I found the Seymour Duncan forum to be most helpful in figuring out wiring details.

I opted for linear tone pots and audio taper volume pots, and I like it. I got all them off Ebay. The volume pots were Bourne and a bit larger and nicer than the no-name (from China) tone pots. But they all come with washers large enough that they should fit in a variety of hole sizes unless you have something really weird. Shaft length worked out the same, but if it hadn't, I would have used washers to on the longer ones or even a nut on the underside to get them to match. These were all 500k.

Have you considered changing the capacitor for your tone pot? I think standard is .022 for single coil, .047 for humbucker. Or maybe that's backwards. Anyway, I opted for .033 which I read is good for P90, somewhere between humbucker and single coil, and I'm pretty happy with it. I might consider .033 in the future if I am wiring a guitar with a humbucker with split coil option.

Ken

No, haven't thought about it, actually. Can't tell you by heart what capacity my tone pot has. Remember, I have an Ibanez S, which has only one master tone pot and one master volume pot for all three pickups. Or am I missing something?

Edit: I just found this on SD.com http://cdn.seymourduncan.com/pdfs/support/schematics/HSH_1v_1t_5w_pushpull.pdf I guess I got what I was looking for, so far
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF

Quote by metalmingee
Last edited by Dragonfyre137 at Apr 4, 2015,