Hey folks

I have this Laney GS412IA 4x12 cabinet which has the Seventy 80 speakers in there as standard for this model, however rather than getting a new cab, I feel like I should just get some new speakers fitted in there to go for the cheaper option.

My amp is an Orange OR100 and the guitar is a Schecter Blackjack with Seymour Duncan Blackouts. I'd like a bottom heavy sound but retaining some type of clarity and not *too* fuzzy.

I'm thinking maybe Vintage 30s or G12K-85s...or maybe a mix? Would think of G12K-100s but the cab only runs at 16 ohms. I've heard good things about some of the Eminence speakers like Swamp Thangs and Man o Wars as well. All suggestions are welcome.
What sound do you wanna get?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
yeah what type of music do you play?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
V30
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Or maybe Emi Legends. They're basically a smoother V30. Depends on what sort of tone you are chasing. We need more info.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Bottom heavy makes me think K85/100, T75, Eminence Swamp Thangs or Manowars, maybe a Texas Heat if you like something a bit more warm.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Oops sorry chaps.

We play metal, but with more emphasis on the RIFF. I guess reference points are Mastodon, Soilent Green, Melvins, Down. Just a bottom heavy sound to my already heavy tone but with some clarity and depth. Something that will make the sound spread out around the room as much as possible for a single cabinet as I also like to throw in bits of psychedelia here and there. The current speakers I think are a bit too heavy on the top end and reek of fizz.
Yeah v30's will be good for that.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
V30/K100 mix in an X pattern
v30/CL80 mix in an X pattern if your doing a bit less modern styles of heavy
V30/G12t75 mix will get heavy but not as modern sounding as the other 2
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Apr 4, 2015,
Nice, seems pretty unanimous about the V30s.

I heard from many people who use Orange amps that the G12T75 speakers don't mesh well at all? Either way I think I'll just buy a mix of all the ones I'm shortlisting and just sell the ones that don't meet my needs. Cheers!
Quote by m_wilkie
Nice, seems pretty unanimous about the V30s.

I heard from many people who use Orange amps that the G12T75 speakers don't mesh well at all? Either way I think I'll just buy a mix of all the ones I'm shortlisting and just sell the ones that don't meet my needs. Cheers!

That I don't know, but Orange has the PPC cab loaded with V30 and the PPCHP (high power) that is loaded with K100's so that would probably be a safe bet with your amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Oh man if money was no object I'd be getting that PPCHP cab like a shot.

One of these days...
Where are you located?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm in England. The cab is out of my price range but have been scouring eBay and Gumtree and the like for months for numerous objet d'art but not much luck.
Quote by m_wilkie
I'm in England. The cab is out of my price range but have been scouring eBay and Gumtree and the like for months for numerous objet d'art but not much luck.

No I was going to suggest getting this The entire cab is the price of the 4 speakers retail
www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g412s_vintage.htm

sell 2 of the V30s that come in it to fund the K100's

You can then either keep the cab and sell the Laney as is. Swap the speakers from the HB to the laney and sell the HB cab oaded with your 70/80's. Or have 2 4x12 cabs
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Hmmm...I've been dwelling on those Harley Benton's for quite some time...in fact I almost purchased one a few weeks back (the 2 x 12) but pulled out at the last minute. There must be a catch? The construction must be cheap as.

Your idea does seem reasonable though - not sure how much demand there would be for a HB with 70/80 speakers though. However it sounds like it all adds up and those HB cabs are indeed incredibly priced.
Quote by m_wilkie
Hmmm...I've been dwelling on those Harley Benton's for quite some time...in fact I almost purchased one a few weeks back (the 2 x 12) but pulled out at the last minute. There must be a catch? The construction must be cheap as.

Your idea does seem reasonable though - not sure how much demand there would be for a HB with 70/80 speakers though. However it sounds like it all adds up and those HB cabs are indeed incredibly priced.

Even if you only got 100 quid for the HB cab with 70/80s that's 100 you don't have to spend. The cab would look brand new (because it would be) and would sell really easy. And you have the two V30's to sell also. You would come out ahead

From my understanding the HB cabs are built pretty well especially for the price. They are plywood not MDF which is a huge plus for durability.

I bought a 2x12 cab from a brand called Studio 7. It is an Orange PPC212 styled cab but it came with Celstion G12h30's and it was only $265 new, shipped to my door. The 2 speakers alone cost $140 each here. The cab is not the best, but it works just fine and was made of plywood.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Apr 4, 2015,
Yeah you raise many good points. The sour point is that I'm not sure I even have enough room in my house for two 4x12 cabs! It'd only be a temporary measure obviously, I'm sure I could just stick the two on top of each other and bathe in the reality of owning a full stack for only a short period of time.
Quote by m_wilkie
Yeah you raise many good points. The sour point is that I'm not sure I even have enough room in my house for two 4x12 cabs! It'd only be a temporary measure obviously, I'm sure I could just stick the two on top of each other and bathe in the reality of owning a full stack for only a short period of time.

Yep.

The way I suggest will take more effort on your part, but the cost will be almost nothing.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm not sure swapping out the speakers will work out any cheaper than selling your cab and just buying a new cab which already has good speakers in it. Assuming the speakers you want often come fitted to cabs, which might not be the case.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I'm not sure swapping out the speakers will work out any cheaper than selling your cab and just buying a new cab which already has good speakers in it. Assuming the speakers you want often come fitted to cabs, which might not be the case.

+1
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i am a K85/K100 junkie. i have 12K85's. two 4x12"s with four in, and two 4x12"s with a K85/V30 split. i love it both ways.

you can find K85's in early 90'ish peavey cabs, i picked up two for $320 total. the third i think i paid $250 for.

K100's can be found in the marshall mode 4 cabinets. they are pretty nice cabs overall, although i don't own one.

seventy/80's are absolutely terrible in every way. it was hard to get rid of them.

in most cases you are better off getting a cab with the speakers you want in them than buying the speakers to put in your cab.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/