So, I have this back to back interview next week and I gotta say I'm really quite nervous. It's not like my first interview but it's been awhile since I had my last interview and it's not like I've been through alot of it either.

Anyways, I'm scared that my nervousness is gonna make me stutter alot and worst totally blanked out. I've practiced alot but still it just feels like the pressure is too much and making it a panel interview doesn't help me either. Any tips you could provide me? Thanks!
Yeah, it's hard to say "oh just relax, lololol"

but if you're prepared, that's awesome. Go in with confidence, but don't seem to stiff...

Yeah, I interviewed for jobs for a year and a half, so its hard to really describe. You kind of get to a point where you care but you don't. Frankly, just being someone with whom the interviewer enjoys being in the room goes a long way. Smile, be extra nice, but also be yourself.

It's really a fine line that some people are natural at and others just sort of need to fall into by practice/circumstance.

EDIT: Oh, and if its a panel interview MAKE SURE to engage the panel as individuals (I'm no good at it either, but get their names down and address them by name when possible). Don't act like you're talking at a group of people, try to, in as little of a time as you have, create a separate rapport with each person.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Last edited by snipelfritz at Apr 4, 2015,
Quote by M00NAGEDAYDREAM
think of it as a conversation

oh! just relax lolol

Interviews are just like playing music live. Relax and be comfortable in your skin. Eye contact and use vocabulary you are totally comfortable with. They are not seeking perfect, they just really don't want crazy in the house. Know the company well and be able to explain how you are a good fit for their way of doing business.

I had an interview once and the HR guy asked "what are your weaknesses?"
I thought for a moment and said "probably honesty."
He said "well I don't really think that's a weakness."
I said loudly "I don't give a damn what you think!"

Didn't get that job...
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
lol, the classic "What's your greatest weakness" question. My answer was "I can be too modest."

BULL SHIT!

They should just ask "How well can you bullshit?"

I had a whole stand-up bit about this at one point.
interviews are just like playing music live. smoke a j & have a couple shots beforehand to calm yr. nerves.
This is probably useless to everyone else, but whenever I get into a situation that brings anxiety upon people (e.g. talking to a romantic interest, presentations, public speaking), I just go into with the mindset that I'm going to ace whatever it is I'm doing. I find that the best preparation for me is not preparing at all and play the whole thing off my confidence.

Sorry, I don't really have any specific tips, but this works for me. People have often complimented me saying I do really well in those situations, but I guess you kind of need to have confidence from the get-go for it to work.

This has been a waste of a post.
Free Ali
Research the HELL out of the company. Including their website, research all the guys you can thru linkedin etc (hiring manager a pls), and try to google around if you can find any financial/compliance stmt pdfs on them and read them. Knowing a good deal about their business implies genuineness.

Look sharp and groomed
Meditate before
Firm handshake, eye contact, warm smile

If interview goes well, wait for them to bring up offer (theyll probably have a sheet on hand without salary but showing benefits, "work:life balance"/flexible hours, etc.

Then demand starting pay ~ whatever above mean salary for that position (maybe 10k, 20k if youre confident with how the interviews go), and be firmly adamant. They'll see if youll crack with "we cant do that"s, but make it clear that you're not just any asset. Showing that you put a higher dollar sign (with limits) on your work will have em might not taking you for a chump

EDIT: might not want to push it too hard on salary negotiations depending on amt of experience. But still put out a good amt over mean at first
Last edited by Fat Lard at Apr 4, 2015,
Not kidding, take one panadol tablet about 20 minutes before you go in....

It won't cure the jitters, but it numbs the butterflies in the stomach.

Also, if the interviewers are decent people, they should have a jug of water and cups on the table, a good technique to make sure you don't rush into your answers is to take a drink of water before answering, it gives you time to think about what you have to say.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Really appreciate the input guys!! So, for the interviewers, kinda went in and did a little research on that as well. My greatest fear is me getting blanked while talking.
Quote by minuskill
Really appreciate the input guys!! So, for the interviewers, kinda went in and did a little research on that as well. My greatest fear is me getting blanked while talking.

Are you allowed to take notes in? Not too sure about private sector, but the interviews I've done with State Government allow us to take in reference material and notes.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Dont worry too much about it man, youll do fine. Theyre people too. They might break the ice at first with something like "what are your hobbies?" (guitar's a good one it infers discipline grit and passion to improve or w/e nudge nudge)

But I read a psych thing long ago that letting out a nervous laugh can help, if you find things 'going south' or getting too eager. Admitting it with "sorry, just a little nervous, hehe" at first will wash away the nervousness (this wont be news to them and they'll be understanding). That whole line wont even be remembered, but it's p great for loosening up more
Quote by i_lovemetallica
Are you allowed to take notes in? Not too sure about private sector, but the interviews I've done with State Government allow us to take in reference material and notes.

It's a private organization so, I'm pretty sure they won't allow any notes inside except for references(i think).
Quote by FireFromTheVoid
I'll share with you a video that a friend sent to me when I went to my interview a couple weeks ago and I got the job so it must be good luck.

https://youtu.be/2W0WsdLobq8

Haha I hadn't seen that video before. Good stuff.
Have a beer or two, that's what I usual do.
Last edited by Wormholes at Apr 4, 2015,
Quote by Wormholes
Have a beer or two, that's what I usual do.

Is there ever a time when you don't though?
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
They don't expect you to be Steve ****in Jobs so don't worry too much about stuttering
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ