Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, I was looking at some of these newer randall RG solid states and I was just curious if any of you guys know anything about them, I know dimebag and lynch used the old rg100es, are they good amps for anything other than Pantera/lynch kinda stuff? I havent heard any demos of lower gain stuff, only things in drop A with a lot of gain with a camera mic so my question is, is it versitile? (not thinking of buying one, just curious.)
Last edited by Bmullet00 at Apr 4, 2015,
It's not awful for a SS, it'll do the Dime tone and that kind of stuff well, but you're better off buying something else for anything other than that.
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
I'd look elsewhere if you want versatility.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Don't buy! shop around for a while a listen to other amps, preferably tube amps.
Great for metal and hard rock. Maybe for blues with tweaking, but if you want versatility, look elsewhere.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Badmotorfingers
It's not awful for a SS, it'll do the Dime tone and that kind of stuff well, but you're better off buying something else for anything other than that.

Thats what I thought it would be, like I said, Im not buying one, Im actually about to pull the trigger on a pink taco. Since the randalls can be found for so cheap I think I might aswell get one since im a huge dime fan.
Quote by Bmullet00
Thats what I thought it would be, like I said, Im not buying one, Im actually about to pull the trigger on a pink taco. Since the randalls can be found for so cheap I think I might aswell get one since im a huge dime fan.

You'd be also able to get other tones as well.
As far as I know Chuck Schuldiner used this before he got a Marshall VS8100 and I think Exhorder(one of Pantera's main influences) used this amp before.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
You'd be also able to get other tones as well.
As far as I know Chuck Schuldiner used this before he got a Marshall VS8100 and I think Exhorder(one of Pantera's main influences) used this amp before.

Thats what Ive heard, Im actually a fan of the old Marshall valvestates. The MGs make me vomit
Quote by Bmullet00
Thats what Ive heard, Im actually a fan of the old Marshall valvestates. The MGs make me vomit

The MG can be given a mod for the gain channel to stop clipping so early, or so I heard.
Fly on, fly on
tried one last year at local randall dealer and it did nothing for me. found the distortion to be kinda fizzy / can of bees. not bad for Pantera but as i've mentioned i'm not a fan of that tone. as for blues it falls way short. the clean wasn't bad for a solid state.
Quote by Will Lane
A friend of mine has one of the RG valvestate combos. Big ol' meh that amp is. Same as what everyone else has said.

RG Valvestate?
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
RG Valvestate?

The G2 and G3 RG models. They had a single 12at7 tube. New RG are back to all FET design.

As an owner I have to defend the new RG a bit. They are capable of more than just Dime tones. However for low tuned stuff like Drop A they get too rumbly and muddy. Instead of tight buzzsaw the distortion is more... dirty? Dunno how to describe it but for super low tunings a tubescreamer at front is a must. Unless you play Doom Metal, there this amp shines in my opinion. A lot of rumble and bass to be found here.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by monwobobbo
tried one last year at local randall dealer and it did nothing for me. found the distortion to be kinda fizzy / can of bees. not bad for Pantera but as i've mentioned i'm not a fan of that tone. as for blues it falls way short. the clean wasn't bad for a solid state.

That's my impression as well. I don't think they were like the old heads Dime used. As a bassist I played in a band where the guitarist had the Dime head and it sounded a lot better than the new ones. He used a 20 band eq on it though. The new ones seem to fizz out more than the old heads.

Maybe look at Carvin ss amps for something more versatile. There used to be a Gallien Kruger ss amp in the 90s that sounded really good, don't remember the model.
Last edited by diabolical at Apr 4, 2015,
Quote by MaaZeus
The G2 and G3 RG models. They had a single 12at7 tube. New RG are back to all FET design.

As an owner I have to defend the new RG a bit. They are capable of more than just Dime tones. However for low tuned stuff like Drop A they get too rumbly and muddy. Instead of tight buzzsaw the distortion is more... dirty? Dunno how to describe it but for super low tunings a tubescreamer at front is a must. Unless you play Doom Metal, there this amp shines in my opinion. A lot of rumble and bass to be found here.

Yeah, the RG's are given too much shit.
B standard is the furthest I went and it was still decent. But that was with some shitty Laney speakers. After I get a V30 equipped cab I'll try to see how low they go.

@monwobobbo, you could yank out a decent blues tone on the clean channel with the gain all the way. For something like Clapton it would be decent.

@MaaZeus, Dude I have this question, how do you set the eq on the amp? I'm kinda curious.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
B standard is the furthest I went and it was still decent. But that was with some shitty Laney speakers. After I get a V30 equipped cab I'll try to see how low they go.

@monwobobbo, you could yank out a decent blues tone on the clean channel with the gain all the way. For something like Clapton it would be decent.

@MaaZeus, Dude I have this question, how do you set the eq on the amp? I'm kinda curious.

perhaps we have different ideas on what makes a good blues tone. i have yet to find a SS amp that really delivers anything close to a Clapton / Peter Green Blues breaker tone or get me Rory Gallagher let alone Gary Moore. perhaps something like a really clean BB King tone but he uses SS amps.
Quote by Bmullet00

Nice

Well yeah if you're a huge Dime fan can't go wrong really.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Clapton blues on an RG? Are you out of your fvcking mind?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I don't think the guy has ever played a tube amp
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Quote by Fryderyczek
Yeah, the RG's are shit.

Now you're talkin...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Badmotorfingers
Nice

Yeah Im really excited about it, heard a lot of good things, fingers crossed
As long as you can get the master up to at least 9 o clock I reckon you'll be pretty impressed
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Quote by Badmotorfingers
As long as you can get the master up to at least 9 o clock I reckon you'll be pretty impressed

Haha yeah that wont be a problem, you got one?
Quote by Bmullet00
Haha yeah that wont be a problem, you got one?

Nah, they're not really for me tbh. They sound badass but I'm more of a Bogner fan. There's a Shiva near me going for pretty cheap (~1600) but I just put a 500 deposit on a 2400 Heritage so not at the moment

If I had unlimited money I'd probably get a JJ but otherwise nah. I'm not the kind to have amps laying around I don't use.

Did you check out the Splawns as well?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Apr 4, 2015,
Quote by Badmotorfingers
Did you check out the Splawns as well?

Yeah I did, I like the smaller size heads for some reason but yeah I got a great deal on the Friedman, I couldnt pass it up.
Quote by Fryderyczek

Quite simple really. Since the EQ is so sensitive all knobs are close to north. All except presence. This amp is quite dark so I always keep the presence about 3 a clock to counter it. Treble is about 1:00-1:30 a clock, mids about 0:30-1:00 a clock (and if i turn on the midscoop then the mids are turned up to 3 a clock. Sounds bit different). Bass is almost always 12:00 a clock, turned up a bit (or i toggle on the bass boost) or turned down a bit depending on what tuning the guitar is and if i have an OD on front or not.

Oh and I always use the channel 2. I dont line the channel 3 that much, something rubs me the wrong way with it.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Apr 5, 2015,
Quote by MaaZeus
Quite simple really. Since the EQ is so sensitive all knobs are close to north. All except presence. This amp is quite dark so I always keep the presence about 3 a clock to counter it. Treble is about 1:00-1:30 a clock, mids about 0:30-1:00 a clock (and if i turn on the midscoop then the mids are turned up to 3 a clock. Sounds bit different). Bass is almost always 12:00 a clock, turned up a bit (or i toggle on the bass boost) or turned down a bit depending on what tuning the guitar is and if i have an OD on front or not.

Oh and I always use the channel 2. I dont line the channel 3 that much, something rubs me the wrong way with it.

Yeah, ok thanks. My sound is a bit more bigger you could say.
Bass 1-2 o'clock
Mids about 5 o'clock
Treble about 4.5 o'clock
Presence about 3 o'clock.
Sounds great this way.
I too don't really use the 2 gain too much.
The gain on the first dirty channel is about halfway
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
Yeah, ok thanks. My sound is a bit more bigger you could say.
Bass 1-2 o'clock
Mids about 5 o'clock
Treble about 4.5 o'clock
Presence about 3 o'clock.
Sounds great this way.
I too don't really use the 2 gain too much.
The gain on the first dirty channel is about halfway

Heh. I have the gain on 2-3 a clock. But then again i am a hopeless bedroom gainiac...

Considering how active EQ works your settings are not dramatically different from mine, just turned up louder. Only mids and treble reversed. But i have to try your settings once i get back home next week.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
Heh. I have the gain on 2-3 a clock. But then again i am a hopeless bedroom gainiac...

Considering how active EQ works your settings are not dramatically different from mine, just turned up louder. Only mids and treble reversed. But i have to try your settings once i get back home next week.

I really like Mids. Whenever I listen to some Metallica I start to cringe
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
I really like Mids. Whenever I listen to some Metallica I start to cringe

I feel you on that
i have owned three different RG100ES' one had some issues, the other worked well but i sold it when somebody who was demoing something else in my studio saw it and made an offer i couldn't pass up, and the third i got rid of because i had a dozen other heads (still do).

i liked the RG100ES, they do more than dime if you take your time. i would get another someday if it was in good shape, but they are hard to find in decent shape.

i have a Century 100 combo that isn't bad at the dime stuff. dime used century 200's on FBD and trendkill IIRC. its fun for a while.

i am not a huge fan of dime's tone, but i grew up on pantera, i remember getting their CD's for my birthday as they were released. i like to keep a washburn dime and a dime sounding amp around so if i feel like playing some pantera. i still think cemetary gates is one of the best ballads ever .
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I think "Cemetery Gates" is some of Anselmo's best vocal work, period.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I think "Cemetery Gates" is some of Anselmo's best vocal work, period.

Definitely up there. "this love" is pretty good too. Down's NOLA has really good heavy vocals, especially on "eyes of the South"
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Suicide Note, Part I is pretty great too
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Hell to the NO. go to youtube..type in RG3003H. you'll see this sorry looking hick kid dressed in camo pretending to know how to play guitar on a RG3003H half stack. These videos are the reason I wont buy a Randall. its a shame....I was considering buying this head until I realized that they're for people who don't know $hit! lol.
Quote by JRSOLDJA
Hell to the NO. go to youtube..type in RG3003H. you'll see this sorry looking hick kid dressed in camo pretending to know how to play guitar on a RG3003H half stack. These videos are the reason I wont buy a Randall. its a shame....I was considering buying this head until I realized that they're for people who don't know $hit! lol.

a little bit of ignorance maybe? keep in mind that people have different opinions.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by JRSOLDJA
go watch the video then tell me that, lol.

poor technique, settings, and method of recording. they aren't my favorite amps at all, but they do some tones well.

i do agree that the video was a terrible demo.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Page 1 of 2