Hello
I' ve got the option of trading my fender mustang I(and a few extra bucks for the roland cube 40XL of my guitar teacher. Is the cube better? It has 40 watt and my mustang has 20
I like the Cube better. As a fairly low cost SS amp it sounds pretty sweet with useful features and effects. I am a Fender fanboy but the Mustang still leaves me wanting.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
I like the Cube better. As a fairly low cost SS amp it sounds pretty sweet with useful features and effects. I am a Fender fanboy but the Mustang still leaves me wanting.

This. But it also depends on what you're going to use the amp for and what kind of music do you play. I suppose the Cube is a bit more versatile than the Mustang though.
I like to play rock/metal mostly like metallica, guns n roses, pink floyd, pantera, eric clapton, megadeth...
I forgot to mention I have got an epiphone les paul standard ebony
Quote by spartaboss
I like to play rock/metal mostly like metallica, guns n roses, pink floyd, pantera, eric clapton, megadeth...

Try the Cube and see if you like it. There is an amp voice called "classic stack" or something that has shades of JCM800 tone that is pretty good for the stuff you play. Lets get real though, it a low cost practice amp and only simulates a $2k Marshall rig. The question is "does the simulation work for me?" I don't care for the "extreme" amp voicings on the Roland but you might like em. It does Roland clean, Blackface, Vox, and JCM800 pretty well.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by spartaboss

I think that the Cube might suit you better for that kind of music. I don't like the Fender amps too much for distortion sounds. But try the Cube out and judge it yourself!