I went and got myself a PRS SE30 Combo today. I played various amps in the store (Vox AC15, Blackstar) but ended up with this one as the winner. Especially given the price slash that PRS apparently did. These used to go for €1100 euro's as I recall? Got this one for €504,- including a 10% Easter discount

BUT! When I got home, I played through the amp on various tones and settings for about an hour. Then I took a break of about another hour and a half. I came back after, turned the amp on, and the reverb was gone.

The SE30's reverb is a dial only, no toggle or anything. All the way up or down, there's no difference in the sound. I'm no technician so I don't really know what might be causing it. Although it was heavy, I didn't bump it into anything on my way home. I read that if reverb is turned up, you should hear the springs go when you bump the amp, but that sound's not there.

I won't be able to take it back to the store for another week cause of work. Does anyone know if this is an easy fix or something that I could check?
PRS SE Custom 22 <3
Fender Stratocaster '57 RI
Fender Super Champ XD
Tanglewood TW115 CW
Not sure about the technicalities of it (I doubt it's something you want to be messing about with if you don't know what you're doing, though, since amps can kill you even when off if you're poking about inside them), but if you can't take it back for a week it might be worth phoning or emailing them sooner, just to let them know you have a problem, in case they try to fob you off with "you should've let us know sooner" if you just turn up at the store in a week with it. Normally if something is wrong, the sooner you let the retailer know, the better.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, I will definitely give them a call after Easter is over. In the meantime it still sounds pretty rad even with the non-reverb sound. Does it hurt to keep playing without the reverb, or is there a good chance I wreck it further?
PRS SE Custom 22 <3
Fender Super Champ XD
Tanglewood TW115 CW
I'm genuinely not sure.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I see that the amp uses a 12AT7 for a reverb tube. Try changing it if you have another 12AT7 around. Also if the amp has a reverb tank, make sure the cables are fully connected c:
Last edited by Will Lane at Apr 4, 2015,
Try simply pulling out the tubes and plugging them back in again.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^^ I misread "dial" as "digital", apparently. Yeah if it's tube-driven, fiddling with the reverb tube is bound to be worth a try. maybe contact the store first just to be sure it won't void the warranty.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
its probably something simple, i would just wait until next week to get a new one. it would suck to void the warranty and have a problem.

at least it still plays. worst case scenario no reverb until next week.

that is what i would do anyways.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Ditto. If you have something with a warranty your #1 concern is not voiding said warranty. Sometimes that sucks and means you have to hold off fixing something which you suspect you could easily fix yourself. But if it turns out your diagnosis was wrong and it's actually a more serious problem than you thought that you can't fix yourself, if you've voided the warranty you're SOL.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Update (a tad overdue but worth it I guess)!

I took back the SE30 the week after, and the man at the store had a look inside. As you would expect, it was just some fiddling with the cables in the reverb tank to get it going again. We playtested at the store, and I went home happy (though sore, the thing weighs a ton and I live up 3 flights of stairs). I played for an hour or so, turned up the volume on the clean channel a bit near the end, and bam! out went the reverb again.

I immediately called the store and the guy said he'd find another one from stock and order it for me. I had a side issue though: I couldn't really get the 30W to quiet down and still sound nice (I play in my room mostly). So I ended up swapping the 30W for the 20W which was in the store (same price) and which I had playtested before too.

This one's got a working reverb and is also easier to keep quiet while still having a nice and characteristic sound.

So! Time for a little review methinks :-)

Amp: PRS SE20 Combo

Features: 2 channels, Clean and Lead, each with volume, 3-band equalizer and a bright switch. Separate reverb dial and separate master volume dials for both channels. Effects loop on the back, and comes with a footswitch for channel switch and reverb toggle.
Tubes are 2x 6V6 with 12AX7 preamp tubes for the lead and clean channel, and 12AT7 preamp tubes for the reverb (I have little idea what this means, I just copied it from the PRS specs page ;-))

Build quality: First thing that surprised me is the size. PRS' amps focus on speaker size it seems, as it has a 12" speaker and weighs a ton. The thing's huge! That said, it's not really a portable amp. It's very sturdy and has a sleek and modern look. It has the PRS logo on the front and the dials are mounted on a nice white faceplate (although admittedly I thought the SE30 with its dark grey face looked a little better). Each channel has a small led - red for the lead, blue for the clean channel, and it has a red diamond light for standby/on.

Sound: Now on to the good stuff ;-) This thing is very flexible, even at lower volumes. I really like how it interacts with my guitar's volume (PRS SE Custom 24). It became very clear and easy to me how to get various sounds using the various volume dials. Up the channel volume to get some nice crunchy overdrive on the clean, and produce some hairy metal sound on the lead. But turn down the guitar volume and even that lead channel will clean up really nice. With the coil split on my guitar I can get very nice and poppy Fendery tones on the clean if I leave the guitar at about 8 volume.

The bright switch, really it's not much special in my opinion. It does what you'd expect: brightens up the sound, makes it a little less wooly. It's a nice way to create definition on lower volumes, especially on clean. Other than that, not really something mandatory.

All this makes for a very broad spectrum of possible sounds. Combined with the separate 3-band equalizer for each channel and the footswitch means it's a really easy to switch from various sounds really quickly too.

Pics? Well it's this, except with a white face behind the knobs :-)

(Invalid img)
PRS SE Custom 22 <3
Fender Super Champ XD
Tanglewood TW115 CW