Page 1 of 2
Hello.

I am currently using a 15 watt solid state amp which is loud enough to suit my purposes but I would like a tube amp. There are various 5 watt tube amps I am considering purchasing, but I am unsure if they will be loud enough- although I've heard they are more efficient.

With that in mind, how loud will a medium gain 5w tube amp be in comparison to a 15 watt solid state amp.

Thanks I'm advance for replies.
Would be about the same. Tube amps aren't really louder, they just ''feel louder'' thanks to the harmonics or some BS like that.

Perhaps the tube amp would be a tad louder.

Oh, and a question, what amp do you have now?
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Go for an Epi Valve Junior and a Digitech Bad Monkey.
Much cheaper and much better than both.
Fly on, fly on
Look used. They're not made anymore. About 80 Euros.

Where do you live?
Fly on, fly on
UK. I can find a combo for about £50 which is great, but we're you referring to the stack version?
Does it have to be 5w? Maybe consider something bigger, like a Jet City or a Laney.
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Quote by Fryderyczek
Would be about the same. Tube amps aren't really louder, they just ''feel louder'' thanks to the harmonics or some BS like that.

Perhaps the tube amp would be a tad louder.

Oh, and a question, what amp do you have now?

great explanation

ok a 5 watt tube amp won't really be louder than your current amp. what it will do is still sound good at a much higher volume. the BS that Fryd was referring to has to do with your hearing and the perception of the sound. tube amps have what is known as even order harmonix which are pleasing to the ear. SS amps tend to have odd ordr harmonix which aren't as pleasing to the ear. once the amp is pushed past it's max clean level they start to distort. in the case of a tube amp the distortion sounds good whereas the SS ones sound harsh. this is a basic explaination and there is more to it that has to do with hearing perception. wattage is only part of the picture.

i practice with a 50 watt tube amp all the time. sounds fine at low volume. there is much misunderstanding of how amps work that leads many to believe that you can't use a tube amp at low volumes. sure a cranked amp will sound a certain way that is harder to duplicate at low volumes but it's not impossible. power amp distortion does sound a little different than preamp distortion and requiers the power amp section to be driven hard (usually meaning loud). cool but unecessesary for practice.
Quote by 12wilsonh1
UK. I can find a combo for about £50 which is great, but we're you referring to the stack version?

I'd get a head+cab.
The 8 inch speaker is pretty crappy.
For a cab you can look on thomann for a Harley Benton 1x12 Vintage,
http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g112vintage.htm
1x12, vintage 30 speaker.

Or this
http://www.thomann.de/pl/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm
2x12 this is closed back. The 1x12 is open.

http://www.thomann.de/pl/digitech_bad_monkey.htm
Bad monkey overdrive. The Valve junior only has a clean channel, so you'd need this for your distorted stuff.

All this would cost you about 150 quid for the 1x12 , or about 220 for the 2x12
Fly on, fly on
Definitely not, but I'm playing mainly in my bedroom with the occasional small gig, so I don't want anything too loud. Price is also a bit of an issue for me. (Answering the question about it having to be 5watt)
Last edited by 12wilsonh1 at Apr 4, 2015,
Epi valve jr only has a volume knob and isn't recomended for any type of hard rock or metal playing. it lacks tone controls and is a very limited amp.
Quote by 12wilsonh1
Definitely not, but I'm playing mainly in my bedroom with the occasional small gig, so I don't want anything too loud. Price is also a bit of an issue for me.

I use a 120w tube amp in my bedroom (and other places as well). Basically most medium gain - high gain (preamp distortion) amps will sound fairly good at low levels.

What's your budget and what kind of music?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Apr 4, 2015,
Quote by 12wilsonh1
Definitely not, but I'm playing mainly in my bedroom with the occasional small gig, so I don't want anything too loud. Price is also a bit of an issue for me. (Answering the question about it having to be 5watt)

5 watt amp will be really tough to hear over a drummer just so you know.

Budget location and style of music played
Quote by Fryderyczek

Killer combo, just what I use in my man cave, plus a Boss LS-2, a Boss SD-1 (great complement to the BM), a T-Rex Reverb and a compressor.

I did bright-mod mine though, it was too warm for my tastes.
My budget is up to about £180 ( tough for a tube amp ik ). I'm living in the UK and I'm playing mostly classic/hard rock and heavy blues.
Quote by 12wilsonh1
My budget is up to about £180 ( tough for a tube amp ik ). I'm living in the UK and I'm playing mostly classic/hard rock and heavy blues.

For blues I doubt you'd need more gain than that Bad Monkey has.

And the open back 1x12 would be perfect. Like I said previously, a killer rig for 150 quid.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by 12wilsonh1

Is it possible to save up a bit more? You're not going to get much for that price. Another £50-100 should get you a decent head and a 1/2x12 or a combo.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
the Bugera V22 used may fall in your price range and would work well for what you play. not sure what UK prices are like for certain amps but you may be able to find a Laney used or perhaps a Traynor. my usual recommendation is the Peavey valveking but those aren't as common in the UK from what i understand
I think a used Bugera or Jet City would be OP's best bet.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Quote by Badmotorfingers
I think a used Bugera or Jet City would be OP's best bet.

Yep. If available.

As to the original question, a watt is a watt and it doesn't matter how it's generated.

Now, a tube amp can go over its rating without sounding like ass, so everything isn't exactly equal and also it's common for tube amps to be used with higher efficiency speakers, giving more volume at a given wattage.

But everything else being equal, a watt is a watt.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Apr 4, 2015,
In our rehearsal room we had a Crate GX65 (65 watt solid state) and Peavey 6505+ 112 (60 watt tube). Peavey was maybe about 1.5 times louder. It was a really noticeable difference.
Not sure what your needs are, but here's my recommendation.

If you're not convinced that you want a tube amp, look into a small Vox Valvetronix, like the vt20+. They are awesome amps. They are NOT tube. However, they are awesome little modeling amps that can replicate tube sounds very well, as well as other types of amps. I think a new vt20+ runs for about $220, american. This small of an amp won't cut it for gigs, but it will hold up in a jam and for practicing.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, this amp is pretty darn good for rock and blues.
-Andrew H
band: syncopated groove punch
Last edited by fagelamusgtr at Apr 4, 2015,
Just my input on the epi valve, it isn't a very good bedroom amp. It doesn't sound great at low volumes, even though its five watts. The idea with a 5 watt amp is to crank it and get some powertube saturation without shaking your house off the foundation. That's just my opinion though, don't take my word for it, try it yourself.

Really, don't worry too much about the wattage. Make sure the amp sounds good at the volumes you plan to use it at and go from there. Some amps only sound good when they're cranked and some sound fine at all volumes. Wattage is a factor, but certainly not the deciding one.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
http://www.gumtree.com/p/other-guitar-accessories/amplifier-jet-city-jca2212-combo-valve-amp/1104267988

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. Well, unless you need pristine cleans. Great little amp. Buy it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by 12wilsonh1

From the front end probably, but I've read their fx loop isn't so great. But I think it may have been fixed on the 22, not sure.

Don't take my word for any of that though.

Quote by 12wilsonh1
I found a laney cub 12r for a good price nearby. Is this a good amp?

Eh, it's ok but the Jet City will be much better.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Also, a different amp with the same wattage can have much different volume. I once had a 15w Roland SS amp which was brutally loud.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Just my input on the epi valve, it isn't a very good bedroom amp. It doesn't sound great at low volumes, even though its five watts. The idea with a 5 watt amp is to crank it and get some powertube saturation without shaking your house off the foundation. That's just my opinion though, don't take my word for it, try it yourself.

Really, don't worry too much about the wattage. Make sure the amp sounds good at the volumes you plan to use it at and go from there. Some amps only sound good when they're cranked and some sound fine at all volumes. Wattage is a factor, but certainly not the deciding one.

With a pedal in front, the Epi Valve Jr makes a perfect bedroom amp.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
5 watts will still be pretty loud for playing alone if cranked. It is doable, but it will be pretty loud. If you are after power tube distortion, get an amp that has a built in attenuator. For example Marshall Class 5 can be operated at 5 watts or 0.1 watts, and Vox AC4 can be operated at 4 watts, 1 watt or 0.25 watts. The 0.1 watt mode is perfect for bedroom playing. You can crank it up and it won't piss anybody off. There was a video of Rob Chapman playing a Class 5 on a gig and you could hear it over the rest of the band (I don't know how loud the band was, though). But if you are playing in a loud band, something more powerful would be reasonable. A 5 watt amp can be heard over a drummer, but you won't have any cleans. And it depends on the band you are playing in - if you have a loud drummer, 5 watts won't be enough. You will be miced on a gig, but I think it's nice to be able to be heard over a drummer without being miced.

Yeah, wattage doesn't really tell about how the amp works at bedroom volumes. Don't just look it on a paper - try a bunch of amps at bedroom volumes and a bit louder volumes and listen. If it sounds good, it doesn't matter if it's 10 or 100 watts. Of course if you are planning to gig, you want the amp to be powerful enough (I think 30 watts should be enough for most situations).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Look for a used Jet City JCA2112r combo
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Kevin Saale

the bolded text is the best piece of advise in this thread.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Fryderyczek

Did I seriously see someone recommend a digitech? OMG...I didn't know things have gotten so bad in the world. a Tube amp has about 3 times as much "moving power" as a SS amp. with a SS amp you cant crank it up without having it sound like crap. a tube amp you can. But honestly I don't see the logic in practicing with a tube amp. yes it'll be a little louder and clearer. But do you really NEED it to be louder???
Page 1 of 2