Hi all. This is the first full length track from a project I've been working on. I used to play in bands but am now living outside the UK and have taken the chance to work on some solo instrumental material. It is essentially prog metal (what else on UG?!) but have tried to make the songs fairly diverse to keep it interesting. It is also the first time recording/producing duties have fallen on me so grateful for any feedback. Anyway, enough from me, let me know what you think...

https://soundcloud.com/increments-1/we-are-the-wolves
Some outstanding full on progressive metal here. Very creative use of rhythmic motifs to create some excellent movement. This piece develops logically and symphonically, utilising all instruments equally in an energetic ensemble of glorious harmony.
Beautifully composed piece that is only slightly let down by lacklustre mastering - it just need a stronger mastering processing and compression to really bring out its presence and sonic richness.
Consummate musicianship throughout, and also well mixed and balanced. Reminds me of a musically more advanced Metallica.

For something different, you can C4C here.
Good stuff! Mixing suggestion - when you do that "left-guitar-solo-riff" when everything else stops for the guitar on the left, don't use the hard-left-panned guitar track. Instead, use another track that's only about halfway left, and boosted a little. It will give you the same "stop what you're doing, the guitar over there has a riff for you" effect, without sounding too low and too far off left. Hope what I'm saying makes sense.
Thanks guys for the encouraging comments. Yes, mastering is an issue. I'm still trying to get a handle on compression so will play with that a bit.

Nomad, re the panned guitar, do you mean where the clean guitar comes in around 1:37 or where the main riff comes back in at 4:19? Will C4C when not at work! Thanks again
Thanks for the critique!

This is a sweet track. I love the pace. Your first solo really shows your chops and your 2nd solo is spot on with just the right amount of sweet FX to make it soar.

I couldn't help but notice that your 2nd solo is louder...not just in relation to the music but in relation to the other solo. I would personally lower the volume of the snare a little bit too...but not a big issue there.

The transition at 1:37 was great. I chuckled a bit, not because it was funny but because it was one of those things that just feels right when it's so far removed from what I had just heard. Like, I "got" your thinking there.

I know it was a creative choice on your part, but I didn't personally enjoy the way it ended so quick. When it started picking up again, I was like "Holy crap, how is he going to bring this around in 10 seconds?"

Cool song all around!
Hey man. Thanks for the crit and sorry it took so long to check yours out.

Fantastic playing! Guitar solos are terrific. I absolutely love the clean section. A couple suggestions - the tone could use some EQ adjustments. I feel like the mids could be turned down a bit. Also, the drums are a bit loud. With this being a guitar instrumental, the guitars should be more present. Overall, excellent work. Keep it up!
Thanks for the critique on mine.

I like how the track starts off really heavy and aggressive, and then gets super heavy and aggressive
The lead playing at the end of the first segment is really great, as is the drumming.
The quiet bit with clean playing reminds me of Peter Green's Oh Well refrain. I thought the 'stadium rock' section was longer than I'd like but it was still varied enough. All the lead playing was great and the only thing I'd like to be different would be a more cohesive climax of an ending cos it sounds like you just stopped.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Thanks for all the comments. For those who are interested I have uploaded a remixed/remastered version taking into account a number of the comments here. The link to the song is the same. I think it sounds fuller/better so thanks for your help.

I agree it is quite an abrupt ending. The reason is the next song on the album will follow on immediately so once that is done it will hopefully make a bit more sense.

Ps I may also be harvesting some of your comments for self promotion purposes
Hey dude what did you use to record the guitars? There seems to be a reverbey effect going on that makes it sound like a room recording, a good one at that but it's off putting to my ear. I would also give a bit more energy to the bass in the low mids but that's just my personal taste I love a big rumble. The clean part is spot on though

Cool composition
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Hey dude what did you use to record the guitars? There seems to be a reverbey effect going on that makes it sound like a room recording, a good one at that but it's off putting to my ear. I would also give a bit more energy to the bass in the low mids but that's just my personal taste I love a big rumble. The clean part is spot on though

Cool composition

Hi mate, thanks. I used a mic'd amp for the guitars. I'm not sure which part you mean re room recording? There was a little reverb on the amp settings and a very small amount added during mastering, but not much. The rhythm tracks generally consist of 2 parts, each doubled so 4 guitars total- might explain the reverb effect you are describing?
Quote by Richo1985
Hi mate, thanks. I used a mic'd amp for the guitars. I'm not sure which part you mean re room recording? There was a little reverb on the amp settings and a very small amount added during mastering, but not much. The rhythm tracks generally consist of 2 parts, each doubled so 4 guitars total- might explain the reverb effect you are describing?

Yeah it just sounds very "roomy" to my ears, like a live recording, which technically it is, but I feel like there's too much natural reverb going on for my ears? It may just be me though