I have a very cheap stratocaster guitar that I use it to practise and get ideas. The thing is that a want to transform it into a travel guitar and I thought to have some fun putting a little 2W amp inside the guitar like this picture:

I don't know where to start exactly and I didn't find a tutorial to do it, only guitars that have the speaker inside directly.

I supose that I have to do some kind of connection arround the jack output and a hole on the body bottom of the guitar to put the speaker inside. Finally, my idea is to put a guitar switch to turn on/off the speaker (I want to be able to plug the guitar into an amp as always).

The picture of an unmounted marshall ms2 gave me some ideas:

(Invalid img)

That's all, thank you and sorry for my english haha
If you look at guitar wiring diagrams, you will see that there are two connections to the output jack. What you will want is a SPDT switch on the "hot" connection so that you can have the signal either going to the jack or going to the speaker circuit. The ground connection can stay attached to the jack but also be connected to the ground of the speaker circuitry.

In terms of circuitry all you need is an amplifier that runs off batteries, although I'm not sure how long it would last before the batteries die. You will probably want to keep everything solid state because valves are inefficient.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Yes, I was thinking almost the same about the output jack connection, thank you for your answer, helped me a lot.

So, what amplifier do you recommend for that mod? The first amp that came to my mind was the marshall ms2. Then i was looking some cigar box guitars that used smokey amps but sounded very thin in comparison to the marshall ms2. If you know some stuff to make this will help me a lot.

For the battery part I'll make a hole on the back of the guitar and make an easy battery cover like a gameboy lol

Maybe is better to remove the neck and medium pickups and do something like this:

And now the pickups switch can be a 3 positions switch (jack output/speaker/overdrive) and use the neck tone as the amp volume control. What do you think about?
I'm not very knowledgeable about micro amps but a quick look at the MS2, makes it seem a viable contender. That Strat looks like a good way of going about it, although I'm not too sure about the technical side of using a 3-way switch like that. It could well work, but it might depend on how the overdrive is implemented. I think the biggest challenge will be the logistics of routing and fitting everything in there.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Do you think this setup it's loud enough to play along with an acoustic guitar and sing along? Because I'd like to play with my friends in campings, the beach and those kind of situations.
Last edited by JackLovesFire at Apr 7, 2015,
Those micro amps (like the MS2) are definitely loud enough to keep up with an acoustic. I don't know about those particular set ups, but assuming you use a 2 or so watt micro amp should be just fine.

Like Emperor's Child said, the hardest part will be routing and fitting everything. The wiring should be fairly simple though I don't know how you'd wire up a 3 way switch to do what you want. It would really depend on how the amp is wired.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I made a simple scheme of what I've got:

I think I don't need the tone controls of the pickup, so, the two tone controls of the stratocaster will be the volume and tone controls of the marshall ms2 and the volume control stays the same to control the output jack volume.

Finally, I think I will replace the 5 way switch with two 2 way switches, one switch for the clean/overdrive amp and the other for switch speaker/output jack.

I have to measure the spaces, I will mantain the knobs positions and the speaker will go like this:

IMAGE 2

The most important problem I have is where to put the marshall ms2 board and fit the two switches.

As you all say, the fitting is an important problem, when I have my marshall disassembled I will know better.

Thank you for your answers
Last edited by JackLovesFire at Apr 12, 2015,
You seem like you know what you're on about. Just make sure you measure carefully and take your time and this will come out nice. Good luck.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
This next week i'm buying the amplifier and the doubts came to my mind. I'm doubting about witch amp buy and the dimensions of the speaker that goes inside my strat.

I've seen the orange micro crush pix 3 for 5 dollars more than the marshall ms2, and has 3W RMS and a 4" speaker (Probably knocks out the marshall ms2 in loudness and distortion), but the dimensions of it are a little bigger than the marshall ms2...

I think it's practically impossible to put the amp and the 4" speaker under the pickguard without making a hole for the speaker tail under the body of the guitar...

See the aproximate dimensions:

45,5mm mounting depth (The strat body is 40mm aprox....):

The circuit board is a little bigger but I think it's not the real problem:
Circuit Board

A general picture of it:

Do you think it's possible to fit this amp in on the stratocaster?
Any ideas about this?
Will I have some feedback problems because the extra power of the amp?

I'm thinking about this amp because it's clearly more powerful and cost only 5 dollars more than the marshall ms2 but for the moment the marshall ms2 wins because I know it will fit well despite being less powerful.
Last edited by JackLovesFire at Apr 12, 2015,
You might be able to find an equivalent spec speaker that has a lower profile.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB