*** EDIT*** I. am looking for a new amp just for the cleans, I am keeping the HT-5 for metal and possibly upgrading that in the future, for the time being it satisfies my metal needs.

Hey everyone I am looking at a new amp, right now I am using an HT-5 head which I really like, but am looking for something new, partly for tone partly because new gear is fun. My main styles of play are metal (haunted, lamb of God, at the gates) and worship music.

The blackstar has been a good amp for the metal and the clean channel has served me well, but I think I would like something that shines a little more on the cleans, also needs to take pedals well (which the blackstar also does).

There are three used amps in my area for between $180-$250 which I wouldn't mind hearing some input on.

1. Peavey Valveking 1x12 50watt combo - I have heard a lot of people say they like the clean channel on this amp a lot but don't have any first hand experience with them.

2. Epiphone Blues Custom 30 - 2x12 30/15 watt tube combo. This one I am a bit torn on, it looks beautiful, but the reviews are torn - some say it is an excellent amp, sweet sounding - some say it is too shrill on the high end and heavy. If you have experience with it would love to know your thoughts.

3. Epiphone Triggerman 60 - 1x12 60w SS combo. I found this one through reading reviews on the Blues custom, as one person said they sold the custom and bought the triggerman because the clean was better.

Thoughts would be appreciated.
Last edited by guitarsngear at Apr 5, 2015,
I'm not an expert on those Epiphones but I don't think any of those will get you the heavy tones you want.

The cleans on the ValveKing are very nice but the distortion would leave you disappointed for those bands. You'd have to use a distortion pedal and then what's the point of a new amp? The best distortion pedal is the channel select button on the amp!

Frankly if you want one amp that do very nice cleans and LOG, you need to increase your budget. I'd say the cheapest option would be a Peavey 6505+. The cleans arent as bad as most folks say. A 5751 in V1 and a 12dw7 in v2 will do wonders for the clean channel and leave the distortion channels with plenty of gain.

If you want to spend more money check out a Mesa Roadster - Fender Blackface cleans through Ultra modern super saturated gain or the EVH 5150 III.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I should clarify. I. am looking for a new amp just for the cleans, I am keeping the HT-5 for metal and possibly upgrading that in the future, for the time being it satisfies my metal needs.
Out of those, the VK.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
haven't tried the triggerman

IIRC the blues custom had a bit of that darkness that the valve junior has going on. bit annoying if you don't want really dark tones, it's generally easier to darken something which is too bright than to brighten something which is too dark.

I'd be inclined to agree with cath.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Used AC15c1.

You can find them for around $300 fairly often, plus they're used a helluva lot in worship, Take pedals great, built in verb + trem and can even give you a sweet mid gain crunch.
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Last edited by boblittle at Apr 5, 2015,
Ok checked out the Ac15c1, there are about 5 used in my area, unfortunately they are all at the $500 mark. I wasn't really looking too much, these three just happened to pop up used at a price that I could move on.
the Vk has a really good clean channel plus plenty of headroom. with an overdrive you can get some fairly heavy tones from it as well should the need arise.
unless you feel like throwing $150 at the VK, its not going to be great.

speaker+EQ+OD and maybe tubes.

the dummy jack is a good thing and really cheap, running a patch cable in the loop, that is cheap, but the speaker is terrible. the cleans can be OK without an EQ pedal, but if you plan on using the dirt, an EQ is a must.

there is one thing though, if you keep everything stock, you can put it back to stock if you decide to sell it. worst case scenario you have an EQ pedal, OD and a good speaker that you can actually use in the future. so it all isn't totally sunk funds.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
ValveKing. You are going to want to put in at least a speaker swap (~$70 USD) in the amp if you're getting the stock speaker. It does have nice cleans, and the distortion is rough although tamable. It's a great amp for versatility, you just have to sink money innit. Also a dummy jack in input 1 helps as well.

Actually, once you learn how to tame the lead channel distortion (if it's too bity/fizzy for you), you might replace the Blackstar with the VK for metal. You can tame the distortion by using lower-gain preamp tubes, EQ, and warm preamp/power amp boosts. The cleans on the VK are inherently like an ~American, darker voicing. You can boost that to somewhat a Britty voicing with brighter preamps and mid crunch.

I'm presuming that when TS says "takes pedals well" you already have OD's, verbs, etc. The VK takes pedals in the front very well. And the effects loop works great too for delays and verbs. The VK's on-board verb is meh, but usable.

I wouldn't get an AC15 to "take pedals". The 15 doesn't have an effects loop, or at least the ones I've seen do not. The 15 probably will work great for OD's and such preamp pedals. But putting delays and verbs in front of an amp can really hinder your tone :/ Effects loops all the way.
Last edited by Will Lane at Apr 6, 2015,
I own a Valve Jr and an Electar, they're both great for what I use 'em for but neither does cleans and even if its a bigger amp I doubt the cleans on the BC30 are much to write home about. Besides the Valve Jr, Epi amps aren't good for much beyond a dirty, fuzzy blues tone. So even though I dig Epi amps, imo the VK would be the better choice. If you dont like the VK, hold out and keep saving.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Will Lane

I wouldn't get an AC15 to "take pedals". The 15 doesn't have an effects loop, or at least the ones I've seen do not. The 15 probably will work great for OD's and such preamp pedals. But putting delays and verbs in front of an amp can really hinder your tone :/ Effects loops all the way.

The AC15C1 and C2 have the Loop, the Hardwired Ac15 doesnt IIRC

Ac15's and Ac30s are one of the best amps to use pedals with imho. They have a sweet clean sound so most pedals can go in front anyways.

EDIT: I take that back, according to the vox site the C1 doesn't have a loop. The ones i've play did have one though? weird.
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Last edited by boblittle at Apr 6, 2015,
Thanks for the input, I pulled the trigger on the VK, pretty good deal $120 + a Mooer shimverb. A few eminence speakers on the used market near me, private jack, man o war and wizard so I might pick one of those up. I have a V30 loaded 2x12 I can use with the VK in the meantime.
Quote by guitarsngear
Thanks for the input, I pulled the trigger on the VK, pretty good deal $120 + a Mooer shimverb. A few eminence speakers on the used market near me, private jack, man o war and wizard so I might pick one of those up. I have a V30 loaded 2x12 I can use with the VK in the meantime.

good deal! HNAD!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by guitarsngear
Nice deal! HNAD! Make sure you match the imps. And get a dummy 1/8 female to 1/4 male plug and put that in input 1 c:
Quote by boblittle
Ac15's and Ac30s are one of the best amps to use pedals with imho. They have a sweet clean sound so most pedals can go in front anyways.
I would say for a sparkly clean tone, yeah a line of pedals would be ~okay in the front. But for Worship music, I would hate to turn on a klone to grime up the amp, with some heavy delay and verb after.
Last edited by Will Lane at Apr 7, 2015,
That's a great price. Follow Will's advice above with the 1/8 to 1/4 adapter plug in input 1 and put a patch cable in the loop (if you're not using it). Dramatic changes in tone for less than $5.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .