i'm looking for a good pedal to boost my hm-2.
i use my hm-2 for gigging, and use some cheap fab metal pedal at bedroom levels.

any suggestions? someone suggested buying the cheap dan electro hm300 to boost the hm2 with. but anything that will thicken my sound without making it sound like mud?
Try boosting your amp with the HM-2 rather than making the pedal do all the work. A Tubescreamer/like OD to directly answer your question, though.
Last edited by Will Lane at Apr 5, 2015,
Quote by Will Lane
Try boosting your amp with the HM-2 rather than making the pedal do all the work. A Tubescreamer/like OD to directly answer your question, though.
This is probably your best bet. It's also the cheapest since you don't have to buy anything. Set your amp's gain to about 7, but no higher than 8. You can go lower if you can swing it. Next, set the distortion on your hm-2 all the way down. Palm mute your low string and slowly turn the distortion up until you get the sound you want. Neither your amp, nor your pedal's gain should be all the way up.

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but in my experience, if I'm using a distortion source on the clean channel, then it's time for a new amp. I prefer to use the gain channel (footswitchable, or course) and an OD, like a Tubescreamer, for when I need some extra bite to my gain channel. Some people like to leave their OD on, but I prefer to save it for leads or for when I hit harmonics, the OD really helps let them ring out. I like to use my clean channel, so the method of turning off the OD and rolling down my volume on my guitar tends to sound like shit, so I don't like that method. I prefer to have a killer amp, with a good distortion sound on its own, and a OD to boost it when I need it. Of course, this is the most expensive solution, so I realize that it probably isn't practical at this point.
^Yeah. A traditional way of getting metal tones (and the way I suggest) is to boost an amp with a Tubescreamer or like OD. The amp is generally set just before saturation, and the screamer boosts it to saturation.
Dude, the hm-2 is like the thickest distortion pedal ever made! What sound are you trying to achieve, and more importantly, what amp are you playing it through?
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I've boosted my HM-2 with an MXR M77 and got a tighter, more modern tone as a result. Pretty cool. Still not loads of clarity or anything but eh. It's thicker and heavier.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The Boss HM-2. Destroying the tone of good amps since the early 90's.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Isn't that what 6505's, SLO's and Rectos are for?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Isn't that what 6505's, SLO's and Rectos are for?

Nah they don't bring the chainsaw Maaannnnn. HM-2 straight into a cassette deck for trve cvlt shit.

On topic, something that's just pure volume like a SHO wouldn't go astray.
Eeeeew.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
oh wow. i didn't expect this many replies. that's why i haven't checked since i posted. i should've posted here ages ago.
i know it's sort of the trendy, norm thing to do now, but I do love to jam Nails songs and other thick chorded songs in my room. i don't exactly have a gigging amp of my own anymore. but my practice amp is a crate flexwave 15r, which is mostly what i'm playing through nowadays until someone recruits me to play guitar for them. this is kind of a future reference thing.

i feel silly now because i realized im looking to sound good playing nails songs in my room
I don't think more pedals is going to give you the sound you want. Save up for a nice low-watt high-gain tube amp, like a Blackstar HT-5 or the new Peavey 6505MH.
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
Quote by BV-95
I don't think more pedals is going to give you the sound you want. Save up for a nice low-watt high-gain tube amp, like a Blackstar HT-5 or the new Peavey 6505MH.

for a thick, heavy sound, what would you recommend for gigging?
Quote by darkwolf291

Absolutely the 6505 for gigging for metal tones. Same exact circuit as the 5150, which is considered the standard amp for recording/gigging in the metal industry. They just had to change the name because EVH left Peavey.

I am not familiar with the band Nails, unless you are referring to Nine Inch Nails, but if you want hear what they 6505/5150 sounds like in modern context, listen to anything by Periphery in the studio or live. They use the 5150 preset on the Axe-FX II, which IMO is pretty spot on to the original sound of the amp. The 6505 is just way cheaper than an Axe-FX obviously and gives you the real sound xD

Or really any modern metal recording that wasn't recorded using a Dual Rectifier/JCM800.
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
Quote by BV-95
Absolutely the 6505 for gigging for metal tones. Same exact circuit as the 5150, which is considered the standard amp for recording/gigging in the metal industry. They just had to change the name because EVH left Peavey.

I am not familiar with the band Nails, unless you are referring to Nine Inch Nails, but if you want hear what they 6505/5150 sounds like in modern context, listen to anything by Periphery in the studio or live. They use the 5150 preset on the Axe-FX II, which IMO is pretty spot on to the original sound of the amp. The 6505 is just way cheaper than an Axe-FX obviously and gives you the real sound xD

Or really any modern metal recording that wasn't recorded using a Dual Rectifier/JCM800.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4nV8WV-EDY that's nails.

that's basically what i'm shooting for. i understand while gigging, you want to keep your low eqs down. correct?
and for the record, i've been playing for about 4 or 5 years, and i'm just now getting into all the technical things, such as pedals, amps, pickups and what all of those things do. so excuse me if i sound like a total newbie, but it's because I am
Yes, the 6505 can get this sound. I wouldn't be surprised if I googled this band and found out their guitarists are using 5150s.

I don't gig too much, so I honestly couldn't say anything about dialing your amp for a live setting. I do that when I am getting loud I tend to make my EQs much less extreme. Also, when dialing your amp live, dial subtractively. What I mean by this is say you want more highs, reduce your lows instead, or if you want more lows, reduce your highs.

The cool thing about the 6505 is that its EQ is 5 band, they give you a presence and resonance control, which I often take advantage of to color my tone. That being said, I still plan to add an MXR 10 band to tweak it just a little bit more.
Peavey 6505+ 112

It's impossible to tell you exactly what setting to use.
When playing live you have to EQ to the room and the rest of the band.

Usually you want to keep your mids, not scoop them, otherwise you won't cut through the mix.
I'd also recommend using a little gain as possible.
Starting with it very low, and turning up until you can get the sound you need, and no more.
Too much gain is a surefire way to get lost in the mix, and make your sound muddy and inarticulate.
I know you said "usually", but I just want to add something to your comment about scooping mids:

I personally think the mids on the 6505 are really harsh. I put the mid knob at around 10-11 O'Clock to get the sound I want, but that is just me.

Additionally, I think that there is something to be said; that scooping your mids slightly can be very beneficial to the mix as a whole, it gives the vocals more presence in the mix without having the give the mic too much gain live.
Peavey 6505+ 112

Quote by BV-95
I know you said "usually", but I just want to add something to your comment about scooping mids:

I personally think the mids on the 6505 are really harsh. I put the mid knob at around 10-11 O'Clock to get the sound I want, but that is just me.

Additionally, I think that there is something to be said; that scooping your mids slightly can be very beneficial to the mix as a whole, it gives the vocals more presence in the mix without having the give the mic too much gain live.

Definitely, but there's a limit.
What i meant, (and I should have elaborated more) was turning them WAY down like a lot of bedroom metal guys do.
Oh absolutely. Sometimes when I'm bored and want to sound like Pantera I turn my mids to 0 and everything else up to 10 just to see how fizzy I can make this 6505 sound.

Turns out - pretty fizzy.
Peavey 6505+ 112

6505 is somewhat of an exception to the rule. It has a ton of mids, a lot more than most high gain amps. And it is what is what it is. Scooping mids on a 6505 isn't going to give you a horrible Randall/Mesa/Marshall/etc. scooped mids sound.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
It's fine when you're alone.
It's just something to remember when gigging.

But we've gone a bit off topic now.

TS, a 6505 should suit you perfectly man.
Might wanna grab a digitech badmonkey to boost it with to tighten it up a little bit if you think it needs it

EDIT: I'm fully aware of the amount of mids the 6505 has.
The point I was trying to make was keep the mids at a level where you cut through the mix
Last edited by darkwolf291 at Apr 8, 2015,
thanks again everyone. this is a cool community on here. i'll save up for 6505. do i want just the head or the cabinet combo?
Quote by darkwolf291
Do you have a cab?

If not, the combo is more than suited enough

i don't have a cab right now, but my buddy's dad is selling me his on the cheap, i'll find out what it is when he comes home from college next.
Then it's pretty much up to you.
If you're getting a cab anyway, might as well grab the head, but it's up to you man

The pros of a combo are they're all in one, but the main con is they're heavy as hell.

I usually prefer a head and 212 cab because they're easier on my back.
Last edited by darkwolf291 at Apr 8, 2015,
It should be noted that the head alone costs significantly more than the combo, as it is double the wattage.
Peavey 6505+ 112

I own a 6505+ and am admittedly somewhat of a fanboy.

That said, that Nails clip you posted definitely had a HM-2 in the tone. A 6505 will not do the HM-2 sound....without an HM-2, that is. I suggest you keep that pedal.

Anyway, you'll get a killer metal tone out of a 6505, but not that chainsaw grind that the Boss pedal provides. I definitely prefer the tone of my 6505 boosted and with an EQ in the loop, but I have an HM-2 for when gnarly isn't gnarly enough.

People that don't listen to death metal just don't understand...
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by Cathbard
The Boss HM-2. Destroying the tone of good amps since the early 90's.

Hush.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
I own a 6505+ and am admittedly somewhat of a fanboy.

That said, that Nails clip you posted definitely had a HM-2 in the tone. A 6505 will not do the HM-2 sound....without an HM-2, that is. I suggest you keep that pedal.

Anyway, you'll get a killer metal tone out of a 6505, but not that chainsaw grind that the Boss pedal provides. I definitely prefer the tone of my 6505 boosted and with an EQ in the loop, but I have an HM-2 for when gnarly isn't gnarly enough.

People that don't listen to death metal just don't understand...

i don't see myself getting rid of this pedal ever. i actually got it for 45$ off of ebay, compared to like 90$+.

i will look into the 6505, and i'll probably just go ahead and buy the combo.