So, its been a while!

I'm looking to try something a bit new - been playing and writing a lot of ADTR influenced things lately, and my old standard .11 gauge Elixirs aren't quite cutting it in Drop C/D Standard. Seems that they are a bit loose/low tension in general, and the intonation flies out when in drop C. Naturally, I looked at the next gauge up for Elixir's, and was disappointed that the biggest they go is the .12 gauge set, which only has a .52 on the bottom.

I'm the kind of person to research a crap tonne before I buy anything new, as strings aren't something you can try before you buy and recently, I came across Cleartone's new range of Monster strings, optimised for downtuning and heavier styles.

Looking at the gauges they suggest (.13 gauge for drop C seems a bit crazy), I'd probably be best going for the ones they suggest for drop C# (12, 16, 20, 38, 52, 60) and using them for my preferred tuning - but thought I'd see what the general opinion of them is on here.

Anyone have any experience with them?
Strings in general are cheap, so you may as well just try them and see if you like them regardless of how much people love them or not.

All of this 'optimization for low-tunings' sounds like a load of marketing fluff.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 5, 2015,
I used to use clear tones a lot. only reason I haven't lately is my store never has the ones I need in stock when im in need of new strings. to me they stay brighter longer than every other major brand of strings out there and they sound/feel better than elixirs. I personally didn't like that 12-60 set for drop B the one time I used it. the 4th and 5th strings felt too tight while the 3rd felt too loose. it looks like they offer an 11-56 set that would be pretty nice for drop C (IMO at least).

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

I use the .10-.46 set on my Strat for E Std/Drop D. I absolutely love them. I suggest you at least give them a try, like T00DEEPBLUE said, and then act according to how you feel about them.
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
Quote by Stud_Muffin
Cleartone's new range of Monster strings, optimised for downtuning and heavier styles.

Marketing Fluff.
Quote by dspellman
Marketing Fluff.

That doesn't mean they are a bad choice. Of course every company is going to claim that their strings are better for certain applications, doesn't make the product bad.

I've never heard of a company market using modesty and humility.
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
buy them and tell us.

strings are purely personal preference. they are cheap. everybody is different.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by BV-95
That doesn't mean they are a bad choice. Of course every company is going to claim that their strings are better for certain applications, doesn't make the product bad.

And, of course, no one said the product was bad. You're arguing a point that no one has made.

It remains a guitar string.

I usually buy GHS Boomers or one of the re-brands of the same string. Nothing exceptional about them except that they're cheap and sound just fine. I buy them because I like fresh strings better than old ones on the guitars I use most often, so you'll find me changing strings on those guitars perhaps once every couple of weeks, perhaps once a month at the longest.

Occasionally, if I have a gig (or a couple of them), I'll treat the guitars to some Cold Steels (usually five to six bucks a set) because they're a bit brighter. And the guitars that will be sitting for a while will sometimes get a set of Elixirs.

I've got no particular affinity for one brand over another, and if someone told me
I couldn't get any of the above brands tomorrow, I'd move on to something else.
Quote by dspellman
And, of course, no one said the product was bad. You're arguing a point that no one has made.

It remains a guitar string.

You were obviously being condescending towards Cleartone's marketing of their strings being optimized for downtuning and heavy tones, as though to suggest that because of this marketing "fluff" they are a company to avoid.
Peavey 6505+ 112

Quote by BV-95
You were obviously being condescending towards Cleartone's marketing of their strings being optimized for downtuning and heavy tones, as though to suggest that because of this marketing "fluff" they are a company to avoid.

Nobody said that their strings suck, its just that their marketing is flowery for language that very obviously hypes their product up to be more than what it really is.

Don't be so butthurt.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 6, 2015,
Quote by BV-95
as though to suggest that because of this marketing "fluff" they are a company to avoid.

Please stop picking fights. You're not going to last long around here if you keep taking offense at imaginary arguments.

If you have to ask for someone to clarify a post, do that. Don't try to tell other users what they meant by a statement. You're just creating animosity by choosing not to listen.
Quote by Roc8995
Please stop picking fights. You're not going to last long around here if you keep taking offense at imaginary arguments.

If you have to ask for someone to clarify a post, do that. Don't try to tell other users what they meant by a statement. You're just creating animosity by choosing not to listen.

What animosity? I didn't insult anyone, and I apologize if there was a misunderstanding.

EDIT: PM if you must, I would rather this not take this thread over and get off topic.
Peavey 6505+ 112

Last edited by BV-95 at Apr 6, 2015,
Quote by BV-95

Nope. I said what I said.

You made up everything beyond that.
Quote by dspellman
Nope. I said what I said.

You made up everything beyond that.

I apologize for my misunderstanding. I retract my statement.
Peavey 6505+ 112

so I love cleartone strings. they actually are pretty close to the same price as elixirs so its not the same as experimenting with $5 string packs which may start to be an issue for some. TS you wont be disappointed with them. back when I used them, their quality was very consistent. each pack lasted a long time, I never strung up an already dead string. just keep in mind what I said about that 12-60 pack. kind of weird gauges if you ask me.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab